What to expect during the geomagnetic storm from the X2.8 solar flare?

Carrington45X

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

? i dont  get it sorry

you said the cme maybe impacted SA, i dont know which CME you mean since we have more than one on the way. im a bit dense today (pun intended) so please explain it for dummies :D 

There was no data from SA for a little while there, so they suggested that the CME might have impacted it during that time since we couldn't know. Now it just came back and is showing a high Bt, so might be incoming now.

As for which one, it looks from Enlil like all the ones that were launched in quick succession from around the time of the flare are very close to each other, practically just one big pile, so I'm not sure if it's that easy to separate them out. Might make for some turbulent fluctuations I guess.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

2 CMEs arrived together on the 15th, unless I'm missing another one.

SA is a bit west of us so in for a better hit of the CME, right? solarham / noaa said impact in the next 6h or so, i think. 

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

There was no data from SA for a little while there, so they suggested that the CME might have impacted it during that time since we couldn't know. Now it just came back and is showing a high Bt, so might be incoming now.

As for which one, it looks from Enlil like all the ones that were launched in quick succession from around the time of the flare are very close to each other, practically just one big pile, so I'm not sure if it's that easy to separate them out. Might make for some turbulent fluctuations I guess.

is this still true then? with the slower than expected? i dont know how much earlier stuff usually impacts stereo

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

SA is a bit west of us so in for a better hit of the CME, right? solarham / noaa said impact in the next 6h or so, i think. 

SA is "Ahead" and to our west again as it passed us earlier this year. It should be getting the better hit by a little bit.

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

is this still true then? with the slower than expected? i dont know how much earlier stuff usually impacts stereo

As the expected speed goes down, so does the expected potential

It is possible SA was hit by a CIR or SIR as well which could also explain the high Bt and elevated protons. I just noticed there is CH that should have arrived at L1 on the 14th or 15th.

...though it might be actually missing now after region 3415 removed it from existence.

Edited by Jesterface23

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

i still dont get it. 

i think its the cme though! 

I also agree this is the CME we are seeing at STEREO. Protons shooting up to 250,000 and falling quickly is a classic arrival signature, and stereo should be in the sheath now. I do wonder what, if anything else, is coming

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

I also agree this is the CME we are seeing at STEREO. Protons shooting up to 250,000 and falling quickly is a classic arrival signature, and stereo should be in the sheath now. I do wonder what, if anything else, is coming

When do you think we could see impact and what impact are we still speaking off due to it being late? 

16 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Surprised to read this when you forecasted Kp9- earlier 😅

i didnt forecast this. i said that this cme could hit us with Kp4 to Kp9-. my forecast was G3 with a little chance of G4, but it flew over us and now the maximum seems to be Kp6+

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

I think it may go up to g3 for a while. I wonder if I will be able to see it from Poland

Your geomagnetic latitude is a major factor.   Example:  In the United States an individual located in our state of Minnesota is more likely to see Aurora than an individual located at the same physical latitude in our state of Washington.  Unfortunately I live in Washington!  Haha 

Edited by hamateur 1953