What to expect during the geomagnetic storm from the X2.8 solar flare?

Carrington45X

We've got 2 things to help us know when a CME is near L1. ACE's EPAMp and STEREO A, which both seem to be taking their daily vacations. The CME launched from the western side of the Sun, so it should impact SA first. The heads up from ACE's EPAMp varies from several hours to not any with smaller events.

Edited by Jesterface23

2 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Yes there is how do you think the professionals learned

solar weather as a forecasting object is absolutely dead in Russia so i've got nothing to do with it

Just now, Brenden Norris said:

How do the protons get to the satellite before everything else rises

cause they have higher speed

Edited by tniickck

8 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Yeah but DSCOVR doesn't need EPAM it has Bt and Bz GSM

Two entirely different things. The EPAM gives an overview of the density at various proton energies, as well as for electrons, and thus allows you to know in advance when a CME will hit, as they will start rising beforehand. 

And ACE also measures Bt and Bz.

7 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Where do you find data for EPAM?

Here. Or even on the front page of this very website. The fact that you don't know this makes it pretty obvious that you don't really have a very firm grasp on how this works. No shame in that, and no offense, but I sense a bit of Dunning-Kruger going on here.

6 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Yeah the other data will also rise upon arrival

Not as good as seeing the EPAM rise some hours beforehand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We've got 2 things to help us know when a CME is near L1. ACE's EPAMp and STEREO A, which both seem to be taking their daily vacations. The CME launched from the western side of the Sun, so it should impact SA first. The heads up from ACE's EPAMp varies from several hours to not any with smaller events.

Yeah but STEREO A is not far behind on the data

12 minuten geleden, Sascha Marti zei:

Why is everybody so hyped about this haha nothing happens as ever wake me up when this kills our communication

Welcome! Kills our communication is a bit over the top haha, but these partial halo CMEs are often hard to predict and can end up as a big disappointment. But we should have patience, we can not call it a miss yet. 😁

18 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

how can you pinpoint that so exactly?

noaa wasnt that far off with their 0UTC forecast, in case youre right.

More like 03z arrival, but there are going to be two separate CME arrivals and the second one which is from the X flare will arrive around 09z.

The current time is 01z 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CME might have impacted SA while its data was down.

SA down too, eh? Think it might have anything to do with the CME itself, or just coincidence? These old workhorses have seen their better days, wouldn't exactly surprise me if they are just randomly failing.

whats SA

2 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

More like 03z arrival, but there are going to be two separate CME arrivals and the second one which is from the X flare will arrive around 09z.

The current time is 01z 

NOAA/SWPC updated the geomagnetic forecast to still include possible moderate (G2) storm conditions based on a passage sometime within the next 6-12 hours. thanks :) 

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

SA down too, eh? Think it might have anything to do with the CME itself, or just coincidence? These old workhorses have seen their better days, wouldn't exactly surprise me if they are just randomly failing.

I'd just guess it is how the data is being collected, where ever it is. Not sure.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

whats SA

STEREO A

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I think the X2.8 is the only CME unaccounted for. SA came back with a Bt near 20nT and proton levels are high.

? i dont  get it sorry

you said the cme maybe impacted SA, i dont know which CME you mean since we have more than one on the way. im a bit dense today (pun intended) so please explain it for dummies :D