What to expect during the geomagnetic storm from the X2.8 solar flare?

Carrington45X

2 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Then what are the other spikes from earlier today they have to be from something

Yes but the speed just doesn't change something has to cause it to slow down

As already addressed above: we don't know for certain what the original speed even was, nor the exact direction, that's educated guesswork based on the imagery, particularly from the LASCO coronagrams.

5 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Then what are the other spikes from earlier today they have to be from something

The earlier spike was a change in the solar wind density with a IMF reverse shock.

7 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

Good guessing ha ha you're funny the professionals don't have time to guess not trying to be rude

All forecasting has some guessing, just some things more than others. Also, I forecast some CME shock arrivals when a CME is visible enough in coronagraph imagery.

Edited by Jesterface23

Just now, Brenden Norris said:

Trust me they don't guess that's like saying I guess that the sun is 1 billion years old and it's not

Very poor attempt at an analogy.

As already mentioned above, they make educated guesses, but those guesses are not at all precise at this moment. Read my above post about these professionals and you'll probably realize what we mean eventually.

7 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I don't think so, as 1.4 million mph is ~625 km/s, at which speed it wouldn't have reached Earth by now at all; I think they're just misremembering what the claimed speed actually was (probably saw some claim about ~4 million mph, I saw some claims like that circulating in, uh, "less educated" circles; as if mph is even a common way to describe CME speeds, heh), and that they also don't understand that it's not as simple as just dividing 1 au by this to get the correct average transit time.

Sorry for the mistake, I wrote it in km/h :S

what's going on

@Brenden Norris the fact NOAA misprognosed the CME passage is explainable. as i said before the X2.8 flare happened too much west to be geoeffective but it had pretty nice speed and it could "spin" cuz of Parker's spiral in our direction so this CME and the following geomagnetic storm was really hard to forecast and you mustn't blame NASA and so on because the humanity cant now forecast really accurate because we have only a few really useful satellite for this, the rest of the work is done by people and their guesses supported by physics and our own experience

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brenden Norris said:

But I'm not going to guess on how old the sun is

Before we knew the age of the sun we did guess on that as well. We humans do guess when we aren’t 100% sure. These are educated guesses like @Philalethes says (I’m out of likes but I agree on everything you have said).

Weather forecast is still guessing but we have enough data right now that the guesses are fairly accurate but never 100%. 

In space weather we don’t even have half the data that weather forecasters do so that’s why there is more guessing in space weather. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

ACE doesn't update, so how will I know when the impact will occur?

You're right, it seems to be stuck at ~21:35Z (at the time of writing this it's ~22:55Z for reference). For all we know the EPAM could have started rising, I don't think DSCOVR has any EPAM measurement like ACE has.

10 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I’m out of likes but I agree on everything you have said

Same, this last page really took its toll on my supply, heh. Now I know how hamateur must feel all the time.

1 minute ago, Brenden Norris said:

Yeah but DSCOVR doesn't need EPAM it has Bt and Bz GSM

Those are not the same thing. ACE can also measure Bt an Bz. EPAM is an instrument that measures electrons and protons. 

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 2

Where do you find data for EPAM?

swl website or app

Do you understand something in solar weather did you take a class in solar weather

are there any? i am ready to sign up (if free)