Region 3514

MinYoongi

4 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

it always slows down on its way to earth, solarham said 48-72h 

also radio emission is not the CME speed i think..

Radio emission is electromagnetic radiation and travels at the speed of light.   Amazing that it doesn’t seem to get tired after traveling so far, but hey. Its still cool. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

Right, but estimated velocity during the radio emission was 2100km/s or thereabouts. Not sure where that number comes from. I was under the impression that a lot of the 11/28 forecasts were based on the initial velocity during radio emission-- because there was such a large data gap. 

Screenshot_20231214-192701.png

Just now, auclectic said:

Right, but estimated velocity during the radio emission was 2100km/s or thereabouts. Not sure where that number comes from. I was under the impression that a lot of the 11/28 forecasts were based on the initial velocity during radio emission-- because there was such a large data gap. 

The estimate is based on previous findings about the relationship between CME speed and the frequency drift rate; i.e. it's the latter that is measured, and the former is an estimate based on that.

I'm not sure how precise it is though, could be confounding factors that makes it sometimes give false readings, not really that familiar with how well of a track record it has as a method. Intuitively I would have expected a burst of that magnitude in that position to bring more proton activity than we've seen though, which makes me think that the estimate might be exaggerated due to some such confounding factor.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

still no lasco, geeeeez..

Lasco seems to have a bit of a sense of humor ....

I'd be more stoked about geomagnetic impacts if the protons were really doing their thing right now, but I'd be a little surprised if we didn't see any impacts from this one.  .... Ideally around 0000 UTC on the 17th.

Just now, NEAurora said:

Lasco seems to have a bit of a sense of humor ....

I'd be more stoked about geomagnetic impacts if the protons were really doing their thing right now, but I'd be a little surprised if we didn't see any impacts from this one.  .... Ideally around 0000 UTC on the 17th.

Do you think something will arrive?

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think something will arrive?

I would say I hope something arrives.  But based on SUVI, it certainly looked like the shock at least hewed towards center disk, and it certainly looked like a fast and broad eruption, so I at least think it's more likely than not that we'll see some kind of effect/impact.  What that ends up translating into geomagnetically speaking? that's I question I leave for the folks here that know quite a bit than I do to speculate on...

• Like 2

nice. so lasco atleast updated, please keep me updated @Jesterface23 😎

10 minutes ago, Chris_Wicklund said:

I believe I see almost a full halo? Hard to tell.

i dont really see it, but im notoriously bad at spotting halos. wish there were more than 3 frames :( 

doesnt full halo mean direct hit? im confused again with terminology / phenomena. 

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i dont really see it, but im notoriously bad at spotting halos. wish there were more than 3 frames :( 

doesnt full halo mean direct hit? im confused again with terminology / phenomena. 

It is pretty much almost out of the imagery now. A little bit of the edge might still be there in the northeast quarter.

Halo pretty much equals Earth directed (unless on the far side). A full halo would be best taking the closest to center impact.

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

Halo pretty much equals Earth directed (unless on the far side). A full halo would be best taking the closest to center impact.

i know, thats why im confused. model runs made based on Stereo-A and EUV Waves/Dimmings ( linked earlier ) say theres probably a glancing impact at best/most. how can it be a full halo direct hit then? i know lasco gives some more data but *to me* a full direct hit sounds utopic

but maybe im just dense again and misunderstanding stuff. :D its pretty late and it was a long day.

lasco updated further.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

i know, thats why im confused. model runs made based on Stereo-A and EUV Waves/Dimmings ( linked earlier ) say theres probably a glancing impact at best/most. how can it be a full halo direct hit then? i know lasco gives some more data but *to me* a full direct hit sounds utopic

but maybe im just dense again and misunderstanding stuff. :D its pretty late and it was a long day.

Heh. Yeah, at this point I am only expecting either a glancing blow where the CME drops off or possibly up closer near the edge of the main bulk.

• Like 1

Good afternoon. This is my first time posting on the forum, although I've been following the space weather and all the local discussions for about a couple of months now :)
This solar flare is definitely impressive, and I will continue to watch with interest as all of this develop, hoping to see something interesting in the sky (I still very sad about the last missed opportunity in November, yeah).
However, I wanted to ask about the strangeness in the image from LASCO C3 right now. Is this somehow related to the latest flare or is it just a some kind of random glitch?
This looks quite unusual and I'm just curious to understand about it.

Edited by Magpie
  • Like 1