Impact from Nov 28 CME

LunarLights58

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, I concur, definitely looks like we're in the flux rope now, since around 20:00.

Looks like that to me too (WSE), and by the lack of any significant Bx I'm guessing we're hitting the middle of it.

how long will it be negative then? (since you said middle)  whats BX?

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

how long will it be negative then? (since you said middle)  whats BX?

Depends if those assumptions are in fact true or not, but could be several hours; HP is already up again, and we're still at G1, so I'm guessing we'll see more aurorae if this keeps up.

Bx is the component of the interplanetary magnetic field on the x-axis, like Bz is on the z-axis; where positive Bz is "up" and negative Bz is "down", positive Bx is towards Sol and negative Bx away from it. Since there's not much of any such component, that should be an indication that we're closer to the middle of the rope rather than the edges (when looking at it as a cross-section). Could be wrong, but from thinking about it that's what it seems like has to be the case to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

Well, I tried several times tonight, but clouds refused to go away.

It seems to be booming now, probably even with the naked eye.

Not for me this time.🙈

Same here as usual 😕

• Sad 4

21 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Damn, I went out and couldn't see them. Maybe too much light pollution. I'm near Hugo.

i'm in that area too :) you need a camera, its very faint to the eye

edit: my photos are 15-30 second exposures at ISO ranging from 120->800 on a nikon D2X
edit edit: aurora by the naked eye sometimes looks like light pollution itself until you get a camera on it for longer exposure then the color comes out :) give it a go!

Edited by bugz000

5 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

Was honestly not expecting the Bz to go north so soon. Doesn’t seem like a WSE flux rope. Only the Bz rotated while By stayed as west as possible. Anyone know what to consider this? SWN?

Same, seems like a different configuration after all. From around 00:00 it does indeed look to have behaved like an SWN, weird that it seemed to be rotating the other way around first. I guess there are a lot of complicating factors that aren't easy to account for, e.g. rotation of the rope itself and disturbances from other activity.

• Like 1