Impact from Nov 28 CME

LunarLights58

This is easily the CME from the 28th with around 60 hours of travel time having max velocities at around 575km/s max. So now the EPAM looks to show we have a flux rope to come.

Also, fun fact. Though this CME is about 3 times slower, it is visually similar in coronagraph imagery to the 2 2003 Halloween CMEs.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Also, fun fact. Though this CME is about 3 times slower, it is visually similar in coronagraph imagery to the 2 2003 Halloween CMEs.

why? do you mean only visually or are you implying similar effects to expect? 

1 hour ago, Isatsuki San said:

I think he doesn't have that much desity why he didn't eat the other cme, but this is the cme of 28 

The speed is fine, if 3 more hours of forecast arrives it makes sense

I think this might be the 28th one as @mozy and @Philalethes suggested. 

im looking at StereoA data and it seems like its hit with a slightly different portion of the CME and might not qualify for forecasting this titme. Impact at Stereo started at 10:18 UTC, while impact at L1 started at 9:27UTC. It has been in the negative BZ region for the past 2 hour while we experience northward BZ.

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

why? do you mean only visually or are you implying similar effects to expect? 

At least only visually from SOHO's coronagraph imagery. I believe two factors are that it was an eruptive event and we took an almost perfect direct hit. At SA, the CME only arrived ~30 minutes earlier than it took to arrive at L1 which is interesting.

The flux rope could kick in at any hour now to around the very early morning on the 2nd UTC.

• Thanks 1

18 minuten geleden, Jesterface23 zei:

At least only visually from SOHO's coronagraph imagery. I believe two factors are that it was an eruptive event and we took an almost perfect direct hit. At SA, the CME only arrived ~30 minutes earlier than it took to arrive at L1 which is interesting.

The flux rope could kick in at any hour now to around the very early morning on the 2nd UTC.

How can you tell about de flux rope. I never found a nice translation for the word flux rope, so I still can't imaginaire what it exactly means  ☺️

Edited by Malisha Reuvekamp

3 minutes ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

How can you tell about de flux rope. I never found a nice translation for the word flux rope, so I still can't imaginaire what it exactly means  ☺️

ACE's EPAMp is still hasn't dropped, so we know something is still coming. At this point that can only be the flux rope. It is currently understood as pretty much a large magnetic loop that passes through. The IMF parameters will rotate as it goes through and hopefully the Bz is negative.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Are we finally entering the negative part of the flux rope?

Do you think the flux rope has arrived? someone suggested that the epam is still rising a few hours ago, i forgot who exactly.. meaning it maybe has not arrived yet.

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think the flux rope has arrived? someone suggested that the epam is still rising a few hours ago, i forgot who exactly.. meaning it maybe has not arrived yet.

EPAM started going down already few hours ago, but dipping faster now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tniickck said:

Tver region, 57 northern latitude. it was cloudy as hell, but there was some aurora for a very short time when some gaps in the clouds arrivedspacer.png

would it be ok to post this in my discord please? its a lovely example of how even a cloudy sky doesnt dismiss hope.

hey thats a metaphor!

6 hours ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

To supplement Jesterface's very good description, here's a simplified graphic:

The area shaded in blue is the flux rope.

2017JA024971-Figure-11.webp

Edited by cgrant26
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I concur, definitely looks like we're in the flux rope now, since around 20:00.

30 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

here is a guess which type of fluxrope it may be!

Looks like that to me too (WSE), and by the lack of any significant Bx I'm guessing we're hitting the middle of it.

• Like 1