Impact from Nov 28 CME

LunarLights58

Just got an ‘aurora watch’ alert from my Weather app for the first time ever. East coast USA. G3 tonight could make it happen…But can I stay up til 1am? G1 begins at 7pm EST according to NOAA.

I know only a few are interested in chronobiology, but I must say “Wow. The tinnitus began at 8am today and has slowly increased all day to 10 out of 10 now.” It is an absolutely shrieking loud, but very pure sine wave. It has only been this loud a handful of times in my life. I think we are in a for a doozy of an aurora tonight, if Bz stays Southward. Good luck viewing.

• Like 1

Back in Feb 2023, looking at the sunspots made a bet and travelled to Yellowknife, Canada and was treated to a fantastic display on 4 of the 5 nights I spent there. Betting on the rapid growth of the cluster, have travelled to Iceland. First night here - whole of Iceland forecasted to be under cloud over and was bummed. Was praying for the CME to arrive post midnight UTC. Expecting clear sky from 2am UTC.  Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Im still wondering if this is the Halo CME. i doubt it. but it would also mean they did not merge. meaning halo CME should be slower than they thought?

Tamatha Skov's podcast mentioned that these CMEs are more likely to bounce off of each other like bumper cars than merge.

Edited by cgrant26

1 minute ago, cgrant26 said:

Tamatha Skov's podcast mentioned that these CMEs are more likely to bounce off of each other like bumper cars than merge.

love tamitha. have not watched it yet. what does it change impact wise? because something was observed at SolO.

Update solarham :" It is still too early to tell if this is from one of the earlier eruptions on November 27th, or a combination including the Earth directed M9.8 CME on Nov 28th. Stay tuned for more information. "

So is the First filament late? 

6 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

I think with we're seeing the first filament arrival at L1 right now. My guess is mid-day tomorrow for the big flare CME but hope it hits tonight. :)

I mean, the 3 CME from 11/27 were long forecast to be decent events, up to kp6 at least before the 11/28 event increased those forecasts. This timing is pretty on point for those. There was the chance that the m9 flare from 11/28 would combine all of them and become a g3+ event, but that was I think mostly relying on the radio transmission disruption speed of 860 km/s from 11/28. There was a pretty large lapse in data immediately after peak, which is giving a big question mark as far as I can tell. I'm sad because I work tomorrow night and it'll be cloudy but might still be decent tonight 🤷‍♀️

https://kauai.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/CMEscoreboard/

Screenshot_20231128-223622.png

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

@Jesterface23  Solarham thinks it might be the full halo. heres the arrival data, may be interesting for you! 

btw a question, wouldnt that make the full halo CME very slow? (maybe they slowed each other if its really the combined effects?)

Heh, I think it's still coming and the flare CME arrival during the sheath we are in might put on a show. Unfortunately for being an almost X-Class flare CME, it is relatively slow on its own and we will have an almost perfect direct impact.

• Thanks 1