Impact from Nov 28 CME

LunarLights58

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Bt just spiked to 25, density and speed rising, maybe this is it.

Is it possible that this is one of the other filaments or do you think this is the M9.8 just from first glance? Looks kinda wimpy, I know it can intensify fast in Its wake but I'm not impressed so far.

Just now, mozy said:

Is it possible that this is one of the other filaments or do you think this is the M9.8 just from first glance? Looks kinda wimpy, I know it can intensify fast in Its wake but I'm not impressed so far.

It's definitely weird that the speed and density remain so low if it is, but it's hard to tell how it might have interacted with others on the way. Not sure if it could be any of the filaments at this point, but maybe. Or maybe it'll pick up eventually. Might as well wait a few hours, it's the middle of the day here.

1 hour ago, Cathy said:

3 am in morning and nothing. Doesnt look promising. I drove 6 hours to lake superior upper peninsula to see lights. All i got was moonlight lol kp index never went over a 4 ugh frustrating

That's tough, but that sounds like an awfully long drive for an expected G2-G3 only, especially when there's still a lot of uncertainty about when it might hit because it looked relatively weak and slow from the coronagrams.

Sounds like it could be discouraging, but if I were you I'd try again if/when there's a much stronger event, maybe try to find something more local for small-medium events like this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wimair.at said:

I guess it's coming...
To bad (for me) almost all of europe is covered in clouds. And it's daytime 😄

image.thumb.png.62055eb2d28e0a6f0cdf5678a2fdf436.png

Possibly the worst timing ever for everyone, daytime in Europe & late night in the US, but these conditions could persist until darkness falls.

49 minutes ago, Karel Dewaele said:

EPAM still on the rise. Is the big one yet to arrive? 🤔

21 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I think... I just think it goes down when you get to the flow rope, right?    

Or is the September 28 cme slower than expected?

Yeah, I think the EPAM can still keep rising after the first parts hit, and I would guess that this is the "big one" (the halo CME).

18 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

in my opinion the density is still too low for this CME

It's definitely on the low side, speed too, but I suspect it is the halo CME we've been expecting. It would surprise me at this point if it weren't, but I guess we'll see.

Already at G3 now though, that went very fast from G1. Maybe the people of Yakutia will enjoy some nice aurorae.

5 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Glad someone got some skycandy!! Overcast throughout Seattle and western washington haha.  

it's still going! i had to head home but i see it glowing above the houses, it's spectacular

edit: i'm just north of minneapolis about 20 minutes, this aurora is very low latitude and cuts through light pollution too!, the aurora on my cover pic i had to drive 30 mins north to a very dark area to get a faint green glow... this is something else, took the pic just down the road 5 mins away

Edited by bugz000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, I think the EPAM can still keep rising after the first parts hit, and I would guess that this is the "big one" (the halo CME).

It's definitely on the low side, speed too, but I suspect it is the halo CME we've been expecting. It would surprise me at this point if it weren't, but I guess we'll see.

Already at G3 now though, that went very fast from G1. Maybe the people of Yakutia will enjoy some nice aurorae.

I think he doesn't have that much desity why he didn't eat the other cme, but this is the cme of 28 

The speed is fine, if 3 more hours of forecast arrives it makes sense

• Like 1