AR 13363

tniickck

Still remains a large alpha spot (with a large plage area in tow).

A memory mnemonic I use for the color table is the 1970's home video game:

P ositive
O utward
N orth
G reen | Blue

and its not-so-memorable complement:

N egative
I nward
S outh
Y ellow | Red

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

It certainly looks to have the strongest polarity for a single spot of the cycle by far. Question is, what is it connected to

It looks pretty strange indeed. Here's a gif:

large-1.gif

I wonder if that weaker area in the middle in the m-gram is an artifact or whether there's actually something about the spot that's causing it to look like that. I also wonder what the positive area really looks like, if it's really just all penumbra or if we'll start seeing some smaller spots as it rotates. Certainly peculiar.

Looking at the PFSS of the m-gram it looks like a significant part of the field is connected to the positive area near 3366 and the surrounding cluster:

latest-4096-HMIBpfss-cropped.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

double spot

It definitely looks strange; still not sure if it's an artifact or just something out of the ordinary.

Edit: was trying to edit the above post to add that, but forgot that quoting a post doesn't add to the edit, but to a new post instead; oh well, this can safely be merged with the above if it bothers anyone.

Edited by Philalethes
oops

3 hours ago, Philalethes said:

I wonder if that weaker area in the middle in the m-gram is an artifact or whether there's actually something about the spot that's causing it to look like that. I also wonder what the positive area really looks like, if it's really just all penumbra or if we'll start seeing some smaller spots as it rotates. Certainly peculiar.

Looking at the PFSS of the m-gram it looks like a significant part of the field is connected to the positive area near 3366 and the surrounding cluster:

Pretty interesting. Definitely waiting for it to rotate further to see what the positive polarity area looks like.

At this point it is pretty clear the issued pixels aren't an artifact with them being almost centered in the umbra. This is at least the 4th occurrence of the cycle that I've noticed, but none of them compares to this one.

• Like 1

1 uur terug, Jesterface23 zei:

Pretty interesting. Definitely waiting for it to rotate further to see what the positive polarity area looks like.

At this point it is pretty clear the issued pixels aren't an artifact with them being almost centered in the umbra. This is at least the 4th occurrence of the cycle that I've noticed, but none of them compares to this one.

Multiple small spots are now forming.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 12:37 PM, Drax Spacex said:

Still remains a large alpha spot (with a large plage area in tow).

A memory mnemonic I use for the color table is the 1970's home video game:

P ositive
O utward
N orth
G reen | Blue

and its not-so-memorable complement:

N egative
I nward
S outh
Y ellow | Red

Now I’m confused. Are you sure this is correct? I thought that the outward and north polarity were associated with red and yellow. If you’re right, than this info bubble is wrong.

BB24ED24-075A-484B-8B48-751A2D041582.jpeg.190a10f08e8df9985498205087624a29.jpeg

6 hours ago, Philalethes said:

It looks pretty strange indeed. Here's a gif:

large-1.gif

latest-4096-HMIBpfss-cropped.jpg

This looks like another one of those regions where the strong fields cause an error in the data we see. @Jesterface23 had got this email response when we questioned it last time. “The imagery we look at on the SDO website isn't scientific data. The near-realtime imagery uses a simplified algorithm delivering incorrect values for some strong fields.” - Dean Pesnell, SDO, NASA Official.

https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2708-region-3190/page/3/

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, because it doesn't look quite like those artifacts I've seen previously at least, which look more..."glitchy"; but it could be something similar, not really sure. Will be interesting to see it closer to the center for sure.

2 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

Multiple small spots are now forming.

Do you think they're really forming, or just starting to appear properly as we get a better view? I would think it's the latter, but I'd certainly be happy if it's developing too.

1 hour ago, Calder said:

Now I’m confused. Are you sure this is correct? I thought that the outward and north polarity were associated with red and yellow. If you’re right, than this info bubble is wrong.

This looks like another one of those regions where the strong fields cause an error in the data we see. @Jesterface23 had got this email response when we questioned it last time. “The imagery we look at on the SDO website isn't scientific data. The near-realtime imagery uses a simplified algorithm delivering incorrect values for some strong fields.” - Dean Pesnell, SDO, NASA Official.

https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2708-region-3190/page/3/

I'm pretty sure it's the infobubble that's wrong there; maybe it's based on the confusing fact that permanent magnets are typically painted with a red north pole and blue south pole, with the magnetic field being directed out from the red north pole and into the blue south pole. This is also why the north pole of a magnet points north here on Earth, as the magnetic pole located near the geographic north pole is actually the south magnetic pole.

As for the region, I'm not quire sure. It doesn't quite look like the artifacts I've seen earlier, as Jesterface says too, so could be something else, like a weird configuration. But it does look weird, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still an artifact of some sort either.

Edit:

Actually, now I see what seems more like that type of artifact:

artifact.png

Certainly seems plausible that it's just due to the field strength, that spot is pretty massive.

Edited by Philalethes
possible artifact
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, Calder said:

BB24ED24-075A-484B-8B48-751A2D041582.jpeg.190a10f08e8df9985498205087624a29.jpeg

@Jesterface23

These are the reference documents I used for the HMI color mapping mnemonic.  I hope they are correct!

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/docs/HMI_M.ColorTable.pdf

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/sdo-hmi-magnetogram/

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/3713

We know the info bubble is at at least incorrect in associating white/red and black/blue.  Looking at any pair of B/W HMI and color HMI images we see it is white/blue and black/red.

Edited by Drax Spacex
more references
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. lol

Experiment complete! If you have decent vision you can indeed see 3363 pretty well with eclipse glasses. I couldn't make out the shape of it of it but could definitely see the dot.

Now, something about my observation brings up another question though. From my vantage point, the dot on the sun was on the right side of the visible disk whereas the HMI magnetogram image puts it on the left side. Is this a difference in perspective due to the SDO's position in space? Is it a mirror image or was I maybe seeing the wrong spot? Doesn't look like there's anything I could have mistaken 3363 for. It's also the only spot I was able to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Now, something about my observation brings up another question though. From my vantage point, the dot on the sun was on the right side of the visible disk whereas the HMI magnetogram image puts it on the left side. Is this a difference in perspective due to the SDO's position in space? Is it a mirror image or was I maybe seeing the wrong spot? Doesn't look like there's anything I could have mistaken 3363 for. It's also the only spot I was able to see.

We are on a globe that has a tilt so could perspective. Depending on where you are at you need to change how you look at it like rotating a camera.

If it is the spot you saw, it should be about 1/2 way from the center of the Sun to the edge of the disk either way with where it is right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

We are on a globe that has a tilt so could perspective. Depending on where you are at you need to change how you look at it like rotating a camera.

If it is the spot you saw, it should be about 1/2 way from the center of the Sun to the edge of the disk either way with where it is right now.

Of course! That makes perfect sense. I didn't even think about my orientation in relation to the Earth's and Sun's poles. Kind of embarrassing really for someone who owns an telescope with an equatorial mount. 🥴

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

We currently have a filament releasing, earth directed CME perhaps?

Promising position for sure, and aesthetically pleasing to boot. At a first glance it looks like the filament is being flung more southward, but I'd guess it could still cause some ejecta to head our way once it releases. Eagerly awaiting coronagrams for this one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

looks southward to me? south-west?

btw, is this a bug/glithc or is there blue in the hole in the red? f77a92b5b91389317d9740200f0aaba1.png

looking at the SDO movie, i can see such a blue part in the hole at 6:30UTC already, then disappearing so maybe glitch? 1addc0975880dd7c6a9c69309e0e9311.png69c96b28e4653e79362d0ced32bbdf80.png

From the previous discussions I think the consensus was that it's a glitch due to the strength of the negative polarity in this spot being greater in that area than the software is calibrated to translate.

Edited by cgrant26

1 minute ago, cgrant26 said:

From the previous discussions I think the consensus was that it's a glitch due to the strength of the negative polarity in this spot being greater in that area than the software is able to translate.

Ah ok. i thought it may be positive (blue) growing in the red. so thats not real likely? i posted the pics with timestamps, it looks like a slight blue rim was already there in the utc day morning.

to the cme: A friend on twitter and i are speculating, he says its a broad sweep and could be earth directed. i say its too much south/west. what do you say? @mozy @Philalethes

20230711_202354_d7c2A.jpg