AR 13363

tniickck

12 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

Whooo buddy, that’s gonna be one nice looking cme, too bad it’s on the limb. Sigh.  It’s always the one on the limb.

At around 70-75W it's within the bounds of potential geoeffectiveness depending on what the eruption looks like, especially for fast eruptions; eagerly awaiting coronagrams as usual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

At around 70-75W it's within the bounds of potential geoeffectiveness depending on what the eruption looks like, especially for fast eruptions; eagerly awaiting coronagrams as usual.

I’ll also note, it’s a remarkably long duration event that is still on going.  Maybe it will just keep going until it rotates around again in august 😁

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We're at around 80

Looks closer to 70-75 in the latest images I have from SDO (17T23:45Z). With a live grid based on the actual orientation overlaid:

liveigramgrid.png

SWL also has it listed at 73W, which seems to correspond fairly well to this.

It can be hard to distinguish at such extreme longitudes on the visible disc, but 80°+ is really extremely close to the edge in comparison; and the current tilt towards us also makes longitudes look even closer to the edge.

10 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Looks closer to 70-75 in the latest images I have from SDO (17T23:45Z). With a live grid based on the actual orientation overlaid:

liveigramgrid.png

I guess meeting in the middle at 75 heh. The imagery is around different layers, so some is close and some further.

This is at least the flare prior, then the next engulfed it. The edge of 90, the next is 75 and so on.

image.thumb.png.2b62d09af1656f9974c58e16ef74f37c.png

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

IMG_20230718_025448.jpg

Glancing Blow? or nothing? @Philalethes

28 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

liveigramgrid.png

SWL also has it listed at 73W, which seems to correspond fairly well to this.

It can be hard to distinguish at such extreme longitudes on the visible disc, but 80°+ is really extremely close to the edge in comparison; and the current tilt towards us also makes longitudes look even closer to the edge.

i thought its a bit optimistic but im not sure if its earth directed or not

Just now, MinYoongi said:

so glancing blow possible? i saw the imagery from mozy there but im not sure

my guess would be bulk missing and shockwave graze ? 

Yeah, a glancing blow is possible. I think the only way we'd get a bulk hit from a CME that far away is if it was a really good filament eruption. Currently we don't have enough coronagraph imagery to look at yet to see what is coming at us.

And woo, SOHO's C3 imagery is back to normal

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yeah, a glancing blow is possible. I think the only way we'd get a bulk hit from a CME that far away is if it was a really good filament eruption. Currently we don't have enough coronagraph imagery to look at yet to see what is coming at us.

But isnt there imagery already? and you can see on Suvi/SDO that it flings western.. i hate the waiting game! hehe 

"EIT wave in SUVI 195 crosses the central meridian, probably a small Earth-directed component." i dont think its a bulk hit

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

And woo, SOHO's C3 imagery is back to normal

nice :) 

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

I there is a CH hidden somewhere there in the west-central disk that is blocking some of it. We are currently in the HSS.

Ah, thank you. didnt notice the CH. Hm, i dont know what to think/hope for now in regards to the cme

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

¿Esto no parece que realmente cruzó tanto hacia el centro de Méridan?

From my point of view, the only thing that comes from the CME is a weak and not very noticeable part, most of the eruption went into space.