AR 13363

tniickck

1 minute ago, tniickck said:

Looks like this, i was quite surprised after i saw it

I psoted a stereo Frame, im not sure how to interpret it with stereo-s drift though. looks like a partial halo? would appreciate opinions and updates!

22 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

btw, is this a bug/glithc or is there blue in the hole in the red?

I suspect it's a glitch, anything else would just be too strange. Since it's happened previously for spots that seem to have a very strong magnetic field, my bet is that it's something to do with the algorithm used to calculate the magnetic field from the observed light.

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

to the cme: A friend on twitter and i are speculating, he says its a broad sweep and could be earth directed. i say its too much south/west. what do you say?

I'd agree that it's certainly a wide sweep, but there's definitely a southward motion to it. Given its position I would think it's quite possible for some ejecta to be flung in our direction, though.

Just now, Philalethes said:

I'd agree that it's certainly a wide sweep, but there's definitely a southward motion to it. Given its position I would think it's quite possible for some ejecta to be flung in our direction, though.

Thank you. Did you look at Stereo?
Ah, so more of a glancing impact thingy

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Thank you. Did you look at Stereo?
Ah, so more of a glancing impact thingy

I was just looking at it; and apparently on the STEREO page there's even a recent image from LASCO that's not available on the LASCO website itself, really wonder where such images can be accessed reliably.

soho-c2.jpg

Definitely looks quite southward from that view to me, but still not easy to conclude from just a single still image.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I was just looking at it; and apparently on the STEREO page there's even a recent image from LASCO that's not available on the LASCO website itself, really wonder where such images can be accessed reliably.

soho-c2.jpg

Definitely looks quite southward from that view to me, but still not easy to conclude from just a single still image.

I once had a link with fast loading lasco data. i lost it, sadly.

thanks for the opinion.

24 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

soho-c2.jpg

Looks like a partial halo so far.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

A partial halo would be a glancing impact?

Not necessarily. If we take e.g. the definition in this paper:

The span of partial halo CMEs ranges from a lower limit to 359 degrees. The lower limit is defined somewhat arbitrary from 100° [Lyons et al., 1998] to 140° [Webb et al., 2000].

Even if you restrict a partial halo to at least be 140°, you'd still be short of the 180° or more you typically want for a hit at that lower limit; but 180°-359° would also be a partial halo, and more likely geoeffective.

In this case it doesn't seem to me like this CME has an angle of even 140°, though; maybe not even 100°.

How do you determine the boundary of a CME? There's a fainter ring of material around the bright part that's moving at the same speed and direction of the brighter material behind it. Does that part not get counted?

11 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

How do you determine the boundary of a CME? There's a fainter ring of material around the bright part that's moving at the same speed and direction of the brighter material behind it. Does that part not get counted?

Well, that's the hard part; it's fully possible that there are faint parts that I'm just not spotting, but it's fairly easy to "see ghosts" when trying to make out something very faint. Here I've drawn in the lines corresponding to where in the imagery it seems to me like the boundary is; the blue lines are where I think it is, and the green lines represent the farthest out if I include the faintest possible parts I can imagine might be part of the eruption:

cme.gif

The blue lines probably represent an angle of a bit over 100°, barely classifying as the lower limit of a partial halo per the above definition; the green lines on the other hand are over 180°, which would be the gold standard for a possible hit (but it's not always that simple either, the above paper actually goes into a bit of detail about it from what I skimmed).

Could definitely just be me not seeing it right, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Well, that's the hard part; it's fully possible that there are faint parts that I'm just not spotting, but it's fairly easy to "see ghosts" when trying to make out something very faint. Here I've drawn in the lines corresponding to where in the imagery it seems to me like the boundary is; the blue lines are where I think it is, and the green lines represent the farthest out if I include the faintest possible parts I can imagine might be part of the eruption:

cme.gif

The blue lines probably represent an angle of a bit over 100°, barely classifying as the lower limit of a partial halo per the above definition; the green lines on the other hand are over 180°, which would be the gold standard for a possible hit (but it's not always that simple either, the above paper actually goes into a bit of detail about it from what I skimmed).

Could definitely just be me not seeing it right, though.

I agree. So not earth directed at all?

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I agree. So not earth directed at all?

Based on how it looks so far I have my doubts; but never say never. Maybe the C3 imagery will offer more insight, it's naturally better for looking at the long-term movements of the plasma. Doesn't seem that fast either, speed around 500-600 km/s by my estimate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Based on how it looks so far I have my doubts; but never say never. Maybe the C3 imagery will offer more insight, it's naturally better for looking at the long-term movements of the plasma. Doesn't seem that fast either, speed around 500-600 km/s by my estimate.

36 minutes ago, tniickck said:

ahead_cor2_latest.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

SOHO's first C3 image came in as well and we have a great halo. Only one image so far though.

Full halo? im so confused now. some say south, some say glancing blow, you say (full?) halo.. 😕

8067be071321a4bd091cbe6477dddaa2.png

Iswa run from 22:14 UTC shows farside ? im so confused

19 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

SOHO's first C3 image came in as well and we have a great halo. Only one image so far though.

The latest C3 image I can see is the one from 20:30, and I still can't say I see much of a halo myself, let alone a great one; still looks like a partial halo at best to me, so I guess you're spotting something I'm not quite seeing.

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

There is a ~3 hour data gap that helped with the difference imagery. I'll need about 2 more hours of imagery and hopefully that gap fills.

image.thumb.jpeg.cdf9583d0b117ef618c4bde996e78d34.jpeg

Meanwhile as I typed that the data gap filled. Yay

That does look more impressive. Now those latest images are finally showing on SOHO's site, and being updated at NOAA's too, and the halo is evident; faint, but clearly visible.

• Like 1