AR 3354

Jesterface23

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

it gets bigger and bigger, so hopefully it won't disappear until it gets to earth-side

I do not think it has changed very much in terms of size. The image below compares a nearside image from 4th July (00:00) with the farside image from 8th July (12:00). There may have been a slight movement to the right. Note: we are comparing the region around C 150 to C 180.

AR3354_nearside_farsideoverlay.jpg.d18d96b3adc002452c835a47afb15815.jpg

1 uur geleden, 3gMike zei:

I do not think it has changed very much in terms of size. The image below compares a nearside image from 4th July (00:00) with the farside image from 8th July (12:00). There may have been a slight movement to the right. Note: we are comparing the region around C 150 to C 180.

AR3354_nearside_farsideoverlay.jpg.d18d96b3adc002452c835a47afb15815.jpg

This is the right pick?

image.png

2 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

This is the right pick?

Yes, that is the current image, forming the grey background in the composite image, and I have overlaid the black/white image from 4th July to show that it has not really grown over that time.

Personally I would respectfully disagree with your hopes! Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I’d most certainly forgive ya Ha! . I kinda think it owes us a decent cme or two.  

7 hours ago, tniickck said:

it gets bigger and bigger, so hopefully it won't disappear until it gets to earth-side

Edited by hamateur 1953

At this point it does seem to have grown a bit in the GONG imagery, but maybe there's a nearby region developing close to it, or perhaps something else going on seismically, hard to say anything conclusively about the far side:

mrfqg230710t0000.jpg

Whether or not it will remain active until it returns is another question.

Hadn't updated the page, so didn't see Patrick's post above before I posted, oops.

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

At this point it does seem to have grown a bit in the GONG imagery, but maybe there's a nearby region developing close to it

This looks possible. A far side eruption occurred in the southern hemisphere maybe around -15 deg latitude. Nothing from our side there seemed to rotate over though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

keeps growing…
image.jpeg.a528e97a2cbad2f2e7729150a2904410.jpeg

GONG gives a different impression than JSOC. In the GONG images AR3354 has clearly changed shape, with an extension towards the equator. The JSOC .gif below shows little change in size over the last three days. I believe that the smaller area indicated on the 7th is an artefact of the imaging process, and I'm not sure why that does not show up in the same way on GONG. Also worth noting that other zones to the right of the JSOC images, which do not show up on GONG, are changing shape much more than AR3354.

farside_jul07-10_23.gif.d469fbfcd258afbb92a94190274b4e42.gif

Edited by 3gMike
changed left to right
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

GONG gives a different impression than JSOC. In the GONG images AR3354 has clearly changed shape, with an extension towards the equator. The JSOC .gif below shows little change in size over the last three days. I believe that the smaller area indicated on the 7th is an artefact of the imaging process, and I'm not sure why that does not show up in the same way on GONG. Also worth noting that other zones to the right of the JSOC images, which do not show up on GONG, are changing shape much more than AR3354.

farside_jul07-10_23.gif.d469fbfcd258afbb92a94190274b4e42.gif

where do you get this map of far side? thanks in advance

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

GONG gives a different impression than JSOC. In the GONG images AR3354 has clearly changed shape, with an extension towards the equator. The JSOC .gif below shows little change in size over the last three days. I believe that the smaller area indicated on the 7th is an artefact of the imaging process, and I'm not sure why that does not show up in the same way on GONG. Also worth noting that other zones to the left of the JSOC images, which do not show up on GONG, are changing shape much more than AR3354.

Yep, they certainly do give different impressions at times. That change in shape was what I was referring to when I suggested a new region could be developing there, but there's certainly no equivalent in the HMI map indeed.

I believe GONG imagery is based on Earth-based telescopes, so my first thought is that HMI imagery is likely to be more accurate, and I've definitely seen GONG imagery show some strange things a few times. Not sure how reliable each of them really are, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

That's a pretty big change in shape in only 24 hours. Hope it stays as active on the near side.

I think it is helpful to look at other sources. I agree that it appears to be changing shape on GONG images, but we know that these images are not always reliable. It is clear from the WSO photospheric map that this region was very large as early as end of June. The field strength (at least for the positive field) is arguably the strongest on the whole surface of the Sun, and the positive and negative fields are very close together, so it has lots of promise. It would be surprising, and disappointing, if it did not return as an active region.

prelim.pho_jul11_2023_AR3354.jpg.7472566e0e4a9bf0a9a6d0f4c8ce3520.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

image.png.b6ea0311cc8127d5a5047e1a733c448a.png

Heh, now it seems to be growing there too.

Meanwhile GONG is going crazy:

mrfqg230712t1200.jpg

Pretty sure that's mostly glitching though, last time I saw something similar I sent them a mail and got a reply confirming that it was a glitch; you never know though, maybe there's a party on the far side.

• Like 1