AR 3354

Jesterface23

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

And it looks to be coming from the area with barely any spots or if it's even AR3351 instead? 😅

You're right, the flare does look like it's close to that region. I'm guessing it might be interaction between the negative area there and the positive area of the larger region (this one, 3354).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

keep me updated please :) ! 

Looking at 14:20 now I think there might actually be some ejecta, but I'm not sure. It's often hard to tell from SUVI. I think there's some dimming too.

1 minute ago, Ester89 said:

I'm interested in knowing which part of the region the flare came from specifically. Is there a way to find out?

The most live imagery (at least as far as I'm aware) is from SUVI, the ultraviolet imager on the GOES satellites (that are the ones measuring the X-ray flux too), which can be found here. It's very close to real-time, typically you get imagery 5-10 minutes after the X-ray flux indicates a flare so you can tell where it's coming from.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

The most live imagery (at least as far as I'm aware) is from SUVI, the ultraviolet imager on the GOES satellites (that are the ones measuring the X-ray flux too), which can be found here. It's very close to real-time, typically you get imagery 5-10 minutes after the X-ray flux indicates a flare so you can tell where it's coming from.

Let me add in that watching AIA 1600 & AIA 1700 over at https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/ has the fastest updates & is the easiest way (in my opinion) to see which region is flaring or what part of a certain region is flaring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mozy said:

Let me add in that watching AIA 1600 & AIA 1700 over at https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/ has the fastest updates & is the easiest way (in my opinion) to see which region is flaring or what part of a certain region is flaring.

Didn't know any of the SDO imagery even updated that fast, that's cool. Do those wavelengths show the flaring as clearly while it's happening? Definitely going to check it out next time a flare occurs and see if I can spot it.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mozy said:

Are AIA 1600 & AIA 1700 both faster than any of the AIA images from SDO?

21 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Didn't know any of the SDO imagery even updated that fast, that's cool. Do those wavelengths show the flaring as clearly while it's happening? Definitely going to check it out next time a flare occurs and see if I can spot it.

Yes, you'll be able to spot it without question, you'll know once you see it.

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

thanks mozy! Thats easier than suvi which laggs behind often.

Yeah, I use that first while waiting for SUVI

15 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

Are AIA 1600 & AIA 1700 both faster than any of the AIA images from SDO?

Yes, for some reason they are.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paulo Scaldaferri said:

Trend?

Yes - there is an upward trend in X-Ray Flux over the past several days using a  peak detector function.  Will it continue or have we reached an inflection point?   TBD.  Also monitor magnetic classification and AR sunspot /  area development, and summarily, the daily SWPC Whole Disk Forecast, currently C=99%, M=40%, X=10%.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

Delta?

MrSun3.png.3c2eea496a7a3cb2c2377156b2819fb1.png

38 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

No, i would say there is no delta

Agree with that assessment. Another case where looking at the intensitygram is necessary, as the negative area itself doesn't have any clear umbra, nor do the surrounding positive areas. It gets quite obvious when you compare:

latest-13.gif