AR 3354

Jesterface23

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Have you seen long/strong flares without cmes? 

Many times

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Have you seen long/strong flares without cmes? 

Go look at AR 2192 from 2014, that one made me mad 😅

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tniickck said:

hope it will be geoeffecient

doubt.jpg

16 minutes ago, tniickck said:

i guess there certainly is

I'm not so sure about that; I don't really see any sign of any as of yet, at least. I guess the coronagrams will show us eventually.

Edited by Philalethes
typo

Just now, Philalethes said:

doubt.jpg

I'm not so sure about that; I don't really see any sign of any as of yet, at least. I guess the coronograms will show us eventually.

Yeah I'm confident there's nothing

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Go look at AR 2192 from 2014, that one made me mad 😅

Yup, 2192 had a flare with x-ray flux above X levels for 75 minutes, but no cme.

Long duration X flares with no cme are pretty rare though.

Edited by Aten
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Aten said:

Yup, 2192 had a flare with x-ray flux above X levels for 75 minutes, but no cme.

Long duration X flares with no cme are pretty rare though.

2192 was the worst sunspot in history, It flared a bunch of long duration X class flares and yet none of them even produced a CME.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking at the SDO movie of the event in 304 red wavelength, it looks like a filament stretching from the limb to this spot dumped a bunch of materiel into it right before the X flare kicked off. Is that something that often triggers a flare in a region like this? The flare itself looked like it sent a loop of material up but it all came back down. No field lines appeared to detach.

5 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

Looking at the SDO movie of the event in 304 red wavelength, it looks like a filament stretching from the limb to this spot dumped a bunch of materiel into it right before the X flare kicked off. Is that something that often triggers a flare in a region like this? The flare itself looked like it sent a loop of material up but it all came back down. No field lines appeared to detach.

I see the filament, but I'm not entirely sure if there is a connection; could be, though. As for whether such events can or do trigger others, there's a fair amount of literature on sympathetic flares and eruptions, and I've seen others mention it as well as what looks like it myself, but I believe it's still an active area of investigation in Solar physics to what extent it happens and how it happens. It's been studied for a few decades at least.

A quick search yielded some papers to look at if interested. For example, this paper investigates the characteristics of sympathetic flares. This one purports a clear case of a causal link between two sympathetic filament eruptions. This one looks at a sympathetic filament eruption that was involved in the strongest geomagnetic storm of SC24.

Definitely interesting and something to consider when you see what looks to be sympathetic activity.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

Different mechanisms: Solar flares and CMEs are related phenomena but have distinct underlying mechanisms.

Thanks for a helpful description. I would just like to question your assertion that CMEs and Flares are produced by different underlying mechanismsPerhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, and if so I apologise, but this NASA article https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/the-difference-between-flares-and-cmes suggests that 

"Both eruptions are created when the motion of the sun’s interior contorts its own magnetic fields."

i.e. same cause, different manifestation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Thanks for a helpful description. I would just like to question your assertion that CMEs and Flares are produced by different underlying mechanismsPerhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, and if so I apologise, but this NASA article https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/the-difference-between-flares-and-cmes suggests that 

"Both eruptions are created when the motion of the sun’s interior contorts its own magnetic fields."

i.e. same cause, different manifestation.

Thanks for the question @3gMike
 I do not disagree all events that occur on the Sun are driven by the motion of the Sun’s interior and the impact on it’s magnetic fields. 
While both CMEs and solar flares involve the Sun's magnetic field and magnetic reconnection, CMEs are characterized by the ejection of massive amounts of plasma and magnetic fields into space, while solar flares release a sudden burst of electromagnetic radiation. It is this underlying difference I was referring to.

The underlying mechanism behind solar flares is related to the Sun's magnetic field and magnetic reconnection. In regions of intense magnetic activity, such as sunspots, the magnetic field can become highly concentrated and twisted. When the magnetic field lines suddenly reconfigure and reconnect, a solar flare occurs.

Coronal Mass Ejections are massive eruptions of plasma and magnetic fields from the Sun's corona into space. They involve the ejection of billions of tons of magnetiised particles, such as electrons, protons, and heavier ions, at high speeds. CMEs are typically associated with intense solar activity, such as sunspots and active regions.

The underlying mechanism behind CMEs is closely related to the Sun's magnetic field but what triggers the production of a CME is not yet fully understood. When magnetic field lines become twisted or distorted, they can store large amounts of energy. Eventually, these stressed magnetic field lines can suddenly release their stored energy, causing a CME.

N.

• Like 4

Taking a look back at imagery during the X-Class flare, a weak CME did launch. For whatever reason it wasn't eruptive at all, but there may be part of a possible reason. If you look closely at the flare, it is double peaked. The CME in solar imagery was released during the second peak. It is pretty much theory crafting after that though.

10 hours ago, Newbie said:

what triggers the production of a CME is not yet fully understood.

That may be true, and the same applies to flares. We do not know exactly what triggers the fields to release their stored energy. But essentially production of a CME comes down to the amount of stored energy in the twisted fields. So you are much less likely to see a CME from a location producing a C flare than from one producing an X flare, since the energy required to produce a C1 flare is 100 times less than that producing an X1 flare. Of course, duration of the flare must also be taken into account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

only to add an amen to your comment Sam!!  Ok ‘54, this may be your last shot at it. It is independence day for us in these United States of America.  A nice x flare w/ cme would be very much appreciated by all.  Thanks!  

Edited by hamateur 1953
amendment
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 3gMike said:

That may be true, and the same applies to flares. We do not know exactly what triggers the fields to release their stored energy. But essentially production of a CME comes down to the amount of stored energy in the twisted fields. So you are much less likely to see a CME from a location producing a C flare than from one producing an X flare, since the energy required to produce a C1 flare is 100 times less than that producing an X1 flare. Of course, duration of the flare must also be taken into account.

@3gMike

Certainly what you have written holds true.

You might find these articles interesting. Both refer to the same research I believe.

https://www.livescience.com/space/the-sun/solar-flares-created-in-the-lab-for-1st-time

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-have-successfully-generated-tiny-solar-flares-in-the-lab

N.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Newbie said:

@3gMike

Certainly what you have written holds true.

You might find these articles interesting. Both refer to the same research I believe.

https://www.livescience.com/space/the-sun/solar-flares-created-in-the-lab-for-1st-time

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-have-successfully-generated-tiny-solar-flares-in-the-lab

N.

Thanks - very interesting.

• Like 1

A C8 and an M1.4. While those aren’t impressive… (I know there were a few other C flares too.) …what is impressive (to me at least) is that this spot, despite the flares today (and in days prior), has not seemed to put out any CME’s worth noting…at least at the time of me writing this. I’m impressed by how horrible this sunspot is.

• Like 2