AR13102 watch party! (Old 3088)

WildWill

3 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Oh, so what Solarflaretracker is saying is that powerful solar flares happen when over the limb?

What she means is that it often feels that way to those of us that hope for earth-directed CMEs, and are sad when they happen on the limb and thus do not give us any auroras. 
Statistically, there are no more flares at the limb than anywhere else, expect that geometrically an AR spends more time at the “limb” than it does in prime earth facing position, thus making it more likely a flare happens while it’s there. But to a sunspot, all areas of the sun are the same when it comes to likelyhood of flaring. 

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

What she means is that it often feels that way to those of us that hope for earth-directed CMEs, and are sad when they happen on the limb and thus do not give us any auroras. 
Statistically, there are no more flares at the limb than anywhere else, expect that geometrically an AR spends more time at the “limb” than it does in prime earth facing position, thus making it more likely a flare happens while it’s there. But to a sunspot, all areas of the sun are the same when it comes to likelyhood of flaring. 

Oh.. that makes sense!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Oh, so what Solarflaretracker is saying is that powerful solar flares happen when over the limb?

SFT was making a joke that all of the strongest activity from our beloved star has been on or behind the west limb or right hand side, thereby rendering any CME impact not geo effective that is not impacting the Earth. This is the case on the East limb as well that any activity is not usually geo effective.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

SFT was making a joke that all of the strongest activity from our beloved star has been on or behind the west limb or right hand side, thereby rendering any CME imoact and the resuting Aurora not geo effective that is not impacting the Earth. This is the case on the East limb as well that any activity is not usually geo effective.

N.

The east is the same as west for disappointing us aurora chasers, but east limb flares and CMEs don’t upset me nearly as much as west limb ones since it means we can hope for continued activity as it turns towards earth, well of course on the west limb we can only hope for a second transit which almost never pans out. 
So I don’t like either limb flares, but east is so much less infuriating than west!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Well that was explained rather... C O R R E C T 

Holy crap three people just talked at once

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Sorry SFT for quoting you here. Hope I gave an accurate account of your context :)

I didn't know that you did... but its fine 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im watching suvi and its from this region, not the limb. :) I was surprised too!

The trailing spots are developing on 3102. There is potential for bigger.  I saw the one two punch and thought it must have been the limb going again. What do you think Min Eruptive, but which one? The limb or 3102?

N.

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

The trailing spots are developing on 3102. There is potential for bigger.  I saw the one two punch and thought it must have been the limb going again. What do you think Min Eruptive, but which one? The limb or 3102?

N.

Uhm i dont know if its eruptive thats why im asking you guys :(  :D What do you mean with 1-2 punch? Limb flare then centre disc flare?

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Uhm i dont know if its eruptive thats why im asking you guys :(  :D What do you mean with 1-2 punch? Limb flare then centre disc flare?

I thought the limb flared again straight after popping the C6. I didn't think it would be 3102 for the C7. Originally I would have said the limb flare was eruptive but the activity of 3102 has made it a little more difficult to determine without looking at the imagery. Which I haven't done yet.

N.

• Like 1

Just now, Newbie said:

I thought the limb flared again straight after popping the C6. I didn't think it would be 3102 for the C7. Originally I would have said the limb flare was eruptive but the activity of 3102 has made it a little more difficult to determine without looking at the imagery. Which I haven't done yet.

N.

I thought the exact same about the C7 flare. Did not expect it from 3102 :D ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I thought the exact same about the C7 flare. Did not expect it from 3102 :D ! 

Cactus detected four separate CME signatures today two going over the E limb around 1:48 UT coinciding with the C6 flare and two heading west one, at 3:48 UT which may be associated with C7 flare and another at 4:36 UT  not sure about that one. GOES was down at the time. There were no radio bursts detected TMK.

N.

I guess as per usual we await further clarification.  :)

The E limb C6 flare went for longer and it may have been bigger considering its position.

Edited by Newbie