AR13102 watch party! (Old 3088)

WildWill

Howdy All Y’all!

First Off, it's byob or whatever works fer you!

I believe is when most predictions have the return of the very exciting and Wild Region AR13088. AR13088 has been like an interesting region forming as fast as it did, and then steady kicking out flares, even as it went around the limb!

Will it remain a “Wild Region”? Will it deliver? Or like a shooting star, shine brightly across the face of the heavens in a brilliant streak only to quickly and quietly disappear? We’ll soon find out if AR13088 has what it takes to be a real champion!

Remember the excitement? The flares! The speculation! Will AR13088 return in glory or defeated by the ravages of time! We shall find out in the next few days!  (Sept 11 +/- 2 days).

It’s Showtime Everyone!!

BF4509E8-A6C2-42A3-B06F-052EDD7477E0.jpeg.cd6c420897addf408bceb54fe7c28b10.jpeg745BE7E7-C58A-47E8-BD8A-05F9E136B242.jpeg.a092f6ec1803a2174f8cf39d607af012.jpeg

There has been much speculation about it being a perpendicular or vertical sunspot. Or if it was a reversed polarity sunspot. It grew incredibly fast after appearing near the meridian. Put on a nice show for a few days…and as it traversed the dark side (ooops, far side) of the sun, there have been a few interesting events from over there! 

So let’s have a watch party! Kinda like a hurricane party, but without the hurricane! It’s return should coincide with the first sunny days we’ve had for almost the entire time it was on the other side! You know I’ll be set up in the back yard! 

LnAK

Edited by Orneno
BYOB
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy All Y’all!

I believe is when most predictions have the return of the very exciting and Wild Region AR13088. AR13088 has been like an interesting region forming as fast as it did, and then steady kicking out flares, even as it went around the limb!

Will it remain a “Wild Region”? Will it deliver? Or like a shooting star, shine brightly across the face of the heavens in a brilliant streak only to quickly and quietly disappear? We’ll soon find out if AR13088 has what it takes to be a real champion!

Remember the excitement? The flares! The speculation! Will AR13088 return in glory or defeated by the ravages of time! We shall find out in the next few days!  (Sept 11 +/- 2 days).

It’s Showtime Everyone!!

BF4509E8-A6C2-42A3-B06F-052EDD7477E0.jpeg.cd6c420897addf408bceb54fe7c28b10.jpeg745BE7E7-C58A-47E8-BD8A-05F9E136B242.jpeg.a092f6ec1803a2174f8cf39d607af012.jpeg

There has been much speculation about it being a perpendicular or vertical sunspot. Or if it was a reversed polarity sunspot. It grew incredibly fast after appearing near the meridian. Put on a nice show for a few days…and as it traversed the dark side (ooops, far side) of the sun, there have been a few interesting events from over there! 

So let’s have a watch party! Kinda like a hurricane party, but without the hurricane! It’s return should coincide with the first sunny days we’ve had for almost the entire time it was on the other side! You know I’ll be set up in the back yard! 

LnAK

Did someone say party? 

Lol

N.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jen Seits said:

3088 is already doing a few stretching exercises to warm up, overnight there is enough magnetism for real action. ⚖️ 💀

BR

I'm not sure what data you are relying on to support that claim.

Looking at the JSOC farside images, specifically the area identified as FS2022-007, and comparing it with the latest WSO photospheric map, it seems that area is actually made up of two separate Active Regions. The leading AR appears to have the strongest magnetic field on the WSO map, but last time round it only produced AR3084, which faded out after 4 days at Beta level. The trailing region, which appears weaker, produced AR3088. Of course it is possible that the two ARs have changed significantly while traversing the farside - so, as usual, we wait to see what arrives.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.aa93fe6e4331d35f685051a47ed16704.jpeg

3088 is definitely making its approach well known in imagery, and can actively see some movement and evolution in the heated corona just behind the limb. Should hopefully start to get a sense of the true magnetic complexity in SDO HMI Magnetogram images by late tomorrow or early on the 13th.

Could this be it? AR13100??

chrck out the leading spot pair. We saw similar feature on both 3089 amd 3088...  we'll know in a day, 2 at the most.  Off to the park, feed the pigeons a bit and then get out and stare at the sun in H-alpha fet a while!

WnCA

• Cool 1

21 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Could this be it? AR13100??

chrck out the leading spot pair. We saw similar feature on both 3089 amd 3088...  we'll know in a day, 2 at the most.  Off to the park, feed the pigeons a bit and then get out and stare at the sun in H-alpha fet a while!

WnCA

No, definitely not - AR3100 is located at Carrington 354 while AR3088 was(is?) at Carrington 300

• Like 2

I was watching 3100 myself, but didn’t imagine that 3088  have survived the transit!   You could indeed be correct!

11 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I was watching 3100 myself, but didn’t imagine that 3088  have survived the transit!   You could indeed be correct!

3g Mike is indeed correct. 3100 is at too high a latitude to be our 3088. 

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

and what exactly does the map tell us? Im new to this.

It shows us the locations of the magnetic fields, as measured earthside on the days indicated by the small 'V' symbols on the top horizontal axis. Not all areas of magnetic field will be strong enough to produce spots, but this map gives us an idea of the strength in different areas by using contour lines - in much the same way that contour lines on terrestial maps indicate changes in height. The centre of each group of contour lines is the point of highest magnetic field. The horizontal axis marks longitude in Carrington coordinates. That allows us to identify a particular location on the surface of the sun, over multiple rotations. The vertical axis shows latitudes for each hemisphere. The blue areas represent positive field areas, and the red show negative fields.

Using that information, I can be sure that those two areas of magnetic field were associated with the two Active Regions that I marked - AR3084 at Carrington 330 and AR3088 at Carrington 300, and since the JSOC farside map also uses Carrington co-ordinates I can confidently say that the region marked as FS2022-007 contains the magnetic fields associated with both regions. It is very likely that the precise arrangement shown on the WSO photospheric map will have changed during the farside transition, so we still cannot be certain how active AR3088 will be on it's return.

I think we are already seeing the area associated with 3084 on the East limb - mainly plage - possibly with a couple of very small spots. We should start to see the area associated with AR3088 appearing on the East limb tomorrow, 12th Sept.

• Like 2

AR3088 at S27 latitude rotated behind the west limb on AUG-29:  

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2022/08/29/dayobs.html

Today is SEPT-12, 14 days later.

The Sun's rotation rate at the typical sunspot latitudes is 13.2 deg/day.

For an AR to rotate halfway around the Sun takes 180deg/13.2deg/day = 13.6 days.

So yes, confirming what has already been noted, this is the return of AR3088 coming around the east limb.

Edited by Drax Spacex
solar east is to the left - doh!
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

AR3088 at S27 latitude rotated just behind the west limb on 8/29:  

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2022/08/29/dayobs.html

Today is 9/12, 14 days later.

The Sun's rotation rate at the typical sunspot latitudes is 13.2 deg/day.

For an AR to rotate halfway around the Sun takes 180deg/13.2deg/day = 13.6 days.

So yes, confirming what has already been noted, this is the return of AR3088 coming around the west limb.

Yes here she comes and there is nice activity taking place looking at those loops!

N.

Screenshot_2022-09-12-13-42-49-1-1.jpg

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

what do the loops indicate? Flare potential or activity?

Both really Min. 3101 has produced a couple of flares C3 and C2 and 3098 which was popping a lot of flares earlier has quieted a little. I suspect the increase in SFI is due to the activity on the limb. You can compare this activity by looking at the brightness of 3100 and  3101. The limb is way brighter.

Edit: 3101 has recently increased in activity putting out a C3 and C4.5 flare.

N.

Edited by Newbie
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I suspect the increase in SFI is due to the activity on the limb.

N.

why? it does not look like its flaring alot..? Sorry if that question is dumb or obsolete! 

4 minutes ago, Newbie said:

3101 has produced a couple of flares C3 and C2 and 2098 which was popping a lot of flares has quieted a little. 

N.

2098?