AR13089

WildWill

33 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

I find that odd; maybe they have their reasons, maybe they don't. Seems like a textbook delta to me. In fact, I've seen a lot of illustrations of deltas that are much less obvious: smaller, farther apart, and with a weaker penumbra. I'd say they've got it mixed up here.

Sometimes the configurations aren't that straightforward, but yes, for that type of configuration I'd say that sounds about right, although it can be tricky to define what "clearly defined" really means, and what the threshold for it is.

As for how "hard" the regions have to be, it is indeed related to what's known as the umbrae and the penumbrae; the umbrae are the black spots on the intensitygram, while the penumbrae are the deep orange filamentary structures surrounding them, in contrast to the rest of the image which is more yellow. You can make out the difference very easily when you look at the intensitygram.

These don't necessarily show up that clearly on the magnetogram, which is the colored one you posted, hence why comparing the two is useful so you both get a view of where the umbrae and penumbrae are located, as well as what the polarities are at the different points.

The textbook definition of a delta is (at least the definition this site is operating with):

In other words, wherever you can see two umbrae on the intensitygram inside a single penumbra, and those two umbrae are of different polarity as per the magnetogram, that's a delta.

As for the surrounding information to spot or predict what could potentially become a delta or remain a delta for longer, that's not as clear, and still involves a lot of guesswork at this point. Turns out magnetohydrodynamics is complex stuff.

MHD.png

Hahaha, who'da thunk! Thanks so much for explaining, I got a Bachelor's in Chemical Physics, so this isn't TOO far out of my normal wheelhouse, but I've mostly picked up what I know about the sun and solar forecasting since last Halloween.

The news at the time talked about an X-class flare that had just occurred and triggered some nice geomagnetic storms and auroras, and it ended up getting me back into astronomy. I've just been reading a lot of articles and found spaceweather.com, the SDO, NOAA's site, and a few others.

And can I just take a moment to say, I love how the scientific community collaborates so well in terms of crowdsourcing information. It's so nice to have links directing me to the right contextual information instead of having to scour Google for it. :D 

• Like 1

19 uren geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Before we all continue arguing i have a question though. so we have a delta and this time its not a fast dying one i suppose, so why are we not getting flares? Besides shear.

Hmm i wish someone would answer :D also hows shear looking??

Because there’s barely any shear 😜 no tension in it so it’s pretty quiet.

if the delta spot is packed up so close to the other spot that there is barely penumbral area between them, that’s strong magnetic shear and brings big and strong solar flares. If in this case the delta is pretty far away from the other spot there isn’t any shear and thus no tension. If you put several delta spots in a region then there is enough entanglement in the region to produce strong solar flares.

but even a magnetically complex region with several delta structures can be quiet, that’s the mystery of our Sun 😜

Solar Orbiter is perfectly located to observe region 3088 now, and STIX detected two X-class flares yesterday (2022-08-29 shortly after 11:00, that was the M8.6 flare as seen from Earth) and last night (shortly after 01:30). We will definitely keep an eye on it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FredSchuller said:

Solar Orbiter is perfectly located to observe region 3088 now, and STIX detected two X-class flares yesterday (2022-08-29 shortly after 11:00, that was the M8.6 flare as seen from Earth) and last night (shortly after 01:30). We will definitely keep an eye on it!

Wrong thread! but great observation and i really love to see the stix plots, atleast we have some form of data about the limb flares!

Interestingly, I was looking at SDO footage earlier today, and it seems like this small flare didn't appear to occur in the main part of the active region itself, but to the right (Solar west) of it, between it and a minorly magnetically active region there. Here roughly:

Screenshot-29.png

I don't know what that would imply, just an observation.

42 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Interestingly, I was looking at SDO footage earlier today, and it seems like this small flare didn't appear to occur in the main part of the active region itself, but to the right (Solar west) of it, between it and a minorly magnetically active region there. Here roughly:

Screenshot-29.png

Do you have footage of the flare? Or an estimate when it occured? id like to look at sdo:)

45 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Screenshot-29.png

That’s because that area is AR3087. It’s a spotless plage now, but on the 29th when the flare happened it was a tiny alpha spot. I’ve seen an M flare from a spotless plage a few months ago. We talked about it in one of the threads. Small flares from these regions aren’t uncommon.

Edited by Calder

4 minutes ago, Calder said:

That’s because that area is AR3087. It’s a spotless plage now, but on the 29th when the flare happened it was a tiny alpha spot. I’ve seen an M flare from a spotless plage a few months ago. We talked about it in one of the threads. Small flares from these regions aren’t uncommon.

Long time no see, Calder 😍

I remember 2 times where Plages unleashed M-Class flares.

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Long time no see, Calder 😍

I remember 2 times where Plages unleashed M-Class flares.

I’ve been around, but just haven’t been adding much to the conversations lately. I like to help people when I can, but usually Newbie beats me to it! 😄

I don’t remember when that last plage M class was but it was cool to see.

38 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you have footage of the flare? Or an estimate when it occured? id like to look at sdo:)

Actually, scratch that. I thought it was the same because I noticed the time was around 14 UTC, but what I saw was an eruption from yesterday, 14 UTC on Aug 29. Doesn't seem like there was much flaring associated with it at all, but looks like it ejected a bit of mass. It was from the area I highlighted.

22 minutes ago, Yak said:

damn can this reigion just do something

Am I the only one seeing the long-duration M flare and what looks like a full-halo CME on the last SOHO coronagraph frame?  Waiting to hear if there were radio sweeps, and estimated impact time 🤞

16 minutes ago, mark03 said:

Am I the only one seeing the long-duration M flare and what looks like a full-halo CME on the last SOHO coronagraph frame?  Waiting to hear if there were radio sweeps, and estimated impact time 🤞

There is a long-duration flare from just behind the limb, but the full halo CME is most likely from a farside event, and won't affect Earth at all.

Edited by Orneno

Looks like there was a CME to the southeast as well that didn't originate from 3088, but it's hard to tell where exactly it came from. Perhaps a farside region that might rotate into view soon? I doubt it was 3089, so not topical I suppose.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

9 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Looks like there was a CME to the southeast as well that didn't originate from 3088, but it's hard to tell where exactly it came from. Perhaps a farside region that might rotate into view soon? I doubt it was 3089, so not topical I suppose.

Southeast was a filament eruption that i posted in #filaments thread. :D 

• Like 1