Multiple CMEs Inbound- G1 to G3 storming expected

Flareguy18

Hi everyone!

The Sun has been much more active over the last 48 hours. Many flares and CMEs have occurred and at least a few of these are likely to affect Earth over the next few to several days. NOAA/SWPC has issued a watch for geomagnetic activity beginning with the onset of an HSS for 8-17 (G1 conditions possible). As multiple CMEs arrive together on Aug 18th, geomagnetic conditions may intensify as high as G3! G1 to G2 conditions may then persist into Aug 19th.

This thread will cover the geomagnetic activity! Let's hope for some brilliant auroras!

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flareguy18 said:

Hi everyone!

The Sun has been much more active over the last 48 hours. Many flares and CMEs have occurred and at least a few of these are likely to affect Earth over the next few to several days. NOAA/SWPC has issued a watch for geomagnetic activity beginning with the onset of an HSS for 8-17 (G1 conditions possible). As multiple CMEs arrive together on Aug 18th, geomagnetic conditions may intensify as high as G3! G1 to G2 conditions may then persist into Aug 19th.

This thread will cover the geomagnetic activity! Let's hope for some brilliant auroras!

Capture.JPG

Hi! Thanks for opening up this thread beforehand, it's nice to already have a place to go to then!

I just wanted to ask something, do you think G3 is the most probable? Or rather G2? I know its really hard to predict with all the smaller eruptions mushed together send our way and the CH pushing the Streams down eventually, but maybe you know more than i do. I'd love to see an update by @Marcel de Bont or @Vancanneyt Sander since initially they thought nothing of it after the i think first Eruption :D ! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I just wanted to ask something, do you think G3 is the most probable? Or rather G2? I know its really hard to predict with all the smaller eruptions mushed together send our way and the CH pushing the Streams down eventually, but maybe you know more than i do. I'd love to see an update by @Marcel de Bont or @Vancanneyt Sander since initially they thought nothing of it after the i think first Eruption :D !

It is very interesting indeed! I honestly didn't know what to think, since the majority of the CMEs over the last 48 hours have been directed more in a southerly direction. However, there were a couple partial-halos that came from the west limb, which eruptions from that area tend to be more geoeffective due to the Parker spiral. 

With the multitude of CME's we have seen, coupled with an HSS, I'd say the call for up to G3 conditions is certainly warranted. Even if some of the CMEs miss, it will be close and we can still have disturbances from a nearby passage. Only time will tell!

10 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

It is very interesting indeed! I honestly didn't know what to think, since the majority of the CMEs over the last 48 hours have been directed more in a southerly direction. However, there were a couple partial-halos that came from the west limb, which eruptions from that area tend to be more geoeffective due to the Parker spiral. 

With the multitude of CME's we have seen, coupled with an HSS, I'd say the call for up to G3 conditions is certainly warranted. Even if some of the CMEs miss, it will be close and we can still have disturbances from a nearby passage. Only time will tell!

Thank you! 

Do you think some will miss? Im optimistic they wont! :D 

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

That is the opposite. Normally everything would rise, velocity, density, temp, and Bt component.

youre right! :)  But wouldnt that mean a earlier than anticipated CH HSS arrival? Or can the CIR occur that early?

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

youre right! :)  But wouldnt that mean a earlier than anticipated CH HSS arrival? Or can the CIR occur that early?

The CIR arrival time seems reasonable. When the CH HSS will begin to arrive, only time will tell. A CME could arrive between the two.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CIR arrival time seems reasonable. When the CH HSS will begin to arrive, only time will tell. A CME could arrive between the two.

I'm very curious if some of the CME's will push each other south or get pushed by the CH HSS.

There have been a number of CMEs for the past 48+ hours so at this point, it could be anything. I'd say it's *probably* not the 8-14 event though. Definitely would expect a bigger shock, especially if it's supposed to be a "cannibal" event combined with the 8-15 CME

Does someone know if its a cir or cme?

14 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

There have been a number of CMEs for the past 48+ hours so at this point, it could be anything. I'd say it's *probably* not the 8-14 event though. Definitely would expect a bigger shock, especially if it's supposed to be a "cannibal" event combined with the 8-15 CME

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

That is very intriguing! Perhaps it could be then. It's way ahead of NOAA's prediction though which is why I'm skeptical. I guess we will know at the next discussion update from NOAA at 1230 UTC.

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

The arrival at 02:13Z at DSCOVR was a CME.

17 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

I'd say it's *probably* not the 8-14 event though.

It is on the lower side of the reasonable velocities currently for it's travel time, but it is the 8/14 CME.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The arrival at 02:13Z at DSCOVR was a CME.

It is on the lower side of the reasonable velocities currently for it's travel time, but it is the 8/14 CME.

So its faster than forecasted? Is it the one from the filament eruption or one from 3078?

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

So its faster than forecasted? Is it the one from the filament eruption or one from 3078?

It is the 3076 filament eruption. I didn't forecast that CME for a reason, the leading span was too small and I think that is where it threw off the SWPC model. It looks like a few models on the CME scoreboard did decent.