Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

i think that little one south centre is about to let go, it kind of brewed up all of a sudden, i might be a bit late, it may have already lifted, but it looks very central, the pic doesnt even make it look like a filament cos its gone so fuzzy as its lifting

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 22-20-23 Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) Solar images Solar activity.png

And it did! Nice full-halo with impressive symmetry on C3. As is usual with filament eruptions, it doesn't look to be moving all that fast so I'm not getting my hopes up for any really big storms but it sure looks pretty.

c3fr_2624.jpg

Edited by cgrant26
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

And it did! Nice full-halo with impressive symmetry on C3. Doesn't look to be moving very fast though so I'm not getting my hopes up for any big storms but sure looks pretty.

c3fr_2624.jpg

Filaments usually dont produce full halos, @tniickck said its a far side eruption. im confused? 

@cgrant26 the CME emerged after 12:00 UTC, there is nothing on the visible disk for that time (i checked suvi starting 11:20 UTC

@Maciej Dunst When did the filament erupt? i think i can only see the end of the eruption in suvi then. but i dont think its related to the big CME on lasco after 12:00 UTC.

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Filaments usually dont produce full halos, @tniickck said its a far side eruption. im confused? 

Could very well be. It does feel kind of early for Lasco to show a halo on that filament. It definitely ejected some material to the North so if we see another puff on Lasco to the North in the next couple hours we'll know that pretty halo was from something far-side.

Edited by cgrant26

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Why not? If eruption was placed near the disk center, full halo is nothing unusual. Those characteristic bulb CMEs we commonly see on LASCO are usually limb eruptions, or near-limb. 

Just now, cgrant26 said:

Could very well be. It does feel kind of early for Lasco to show a halo on that filament.

I dont know when it erupted but if you look at Suvi : https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/goes-solar-ultraviolet-imager-suvi  starting at 11:20 UTC right now and go forth to almost real time, i dont really see a corresponding movement 

Just now, Maciej Dunst said:

Why not? If eruption was placed near the disk center, full halo is nothing unusual. Those characteristic bulb CMEs we commonly see on LASCO are usually limb eruptions, or near-limb. 

Like i said, the time does not match the CME posted by @cgrant26, there is nothing 40-50 mins before in suvi

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

@cgrant26 the CME emerged after 12:00 UTC, there is nothing on the visible disk for that time (i checked suvi starting 11:20 UTC

@Maciej Dunst When did the filament erupt? i think i can only see the end of the eruption in suvi then. but i dont think its related to the big CME on lasco after 12:00 UTC.

It erupted around 11:00-11:30. Fits perfectly. 

Check SDO 193A 

5 minutes ago, Maciej Dunst said:

It erupted around 11:00-11:30. Fits perfectly. 

Check SDO 193A 

Ill take a look, thank you! did not know the times.

this convo may overlap with the other thread, sorry :D 

First sign of anything on C2 was at 12:12 UT, the SDO 304 frames from 12:08 and 12:18 definitely have that filament lifting off at the same time. At this point I think a simultaneous event on the far side seems pretty likely but the timing is too close for me to rule out this being from the filament.

Some pieces (like SUVI) don't seem to fit so if I were a betting man, I'd hold on to my money on this one. lol

update: I looked at it, but i have to be honest it looks like its shooting straight northwards and its a not really big filament.

Just now, cgrant26 said:

First sign of anything on C2 was at 12:12 UT, the SDO 304 frames from 12:08 and 12:18 definitely have that filament lifting off at the same time. At this point I think a simultaneous event on the far side seems pretty likely but the timing is too close for me to rule out this being from the filament.

Some pieces (like SUVI) don't seem to fit so if I were a betting man, I'd hold on to my money on this one. lol

im just so confused, sorry. 

i made a video here, where i play it back and forth a few times click me

to me it looks northward i dont really see a global shock wave so how can it be full halo earth directed? i hope what i say makes sense, bad at explaining :( 

i have to agree the time does match @cgrant26 but im just confused because based on suvi (and maybe sdo) i dont see so much movement or atleast it looks very northernly and the cme just does not fits.. @tniickck since you posted it originally do you maybe have a clue?

https://www.sidc.be/solardemon/dimmings.php?did=9223&science=0  @Maciej Dunst i found this dimming on solar demon (the only find in the timeframe) could this maybe be a farside eruption?

or the filament eruption you mean? looks like it

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

update: I looked at it, but i have to be honest it looks like its shooting straight northwards and its a not really big filament.

im just so confused, sorry. 

i made a video here, where i play it back and forth a few times click me

to me it looks northward i dont really see a global shock wave so how can it be full halo earth directed? i hope what i say makes sense, bad at explaining :( 

i have to agree the time does match @cgrant26 but im just confused because based on suvi (and maybe sdo) i dont see so much movement or atleast it looks very northernly and the cme just does not fits.. @tniickck since you posted it originally do you maybe have a clue?

https://www.sidc.be/solardemon/dimmings.php?did=9223&science=0  @Maciej Dunst i found this dimming on solar demon (the only find in the timeframe) could this maybe be a farside eruption?

or the filament eruption you mean? looks like it

Seems like a shock wave came before the filament eruption, so we could have two CMEs one after another. So probably there were two simultaneous events... 

Just now, Maciej Dunst said:

Seems like a shock wave came before the filament eruption, so we could have two CMEs one after another. So probably there were two simultaneous events... 

But do you mean one event on the farside? i hope you dont think im trying to argue. im really just trying to find out :D 

(also i cant add more reactions today, sorry!)