Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

We do have a full halo, but CMEs in the northeast side of the coronagraph imagery and a CH HSS makes that side difficult to see exactly what we have.

Solarham said the bulk goes south, that roughly agrees with what you said i think. so bulk miss, glancing shock hit?

2 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I just love how clear you can see the post eruption arcades in SDO and that it's so long. It's not everyday we get such clear pictures of the eruption structures.

oh, yes!  You should look at it in 131A, my favorite wavelength :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Solarham said the bulk goes south, that roughly agrees with what you said i think. so bulk miss, glancing shock hit?

It may be somewhat similar to the filament eruption on the 20th. CH HSS can dull CMEs quite a bit.

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

It may be somewhat similar to the filament eruption on the 20th. CH HSS can dull CMEs quite a bit.

So a more direct hit likely? Wonder if that could amplify the current cmes to kp8.

Edited by Fishaxolotl
Typo

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

True about the CH HSS, they can "push" them aside or something like that. but to me (and solarham apparently) the main bulk seems to go south, do you really think G2 is possible with this one? 

on a side note, i love when coronal holes interact with cmes, its rare :) 

3 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

So a more direct hit likely? Wonder if that could amplify the current cmes to kp8.

I'll need about 2 more hours of imagery before I can calculate a forecast for this one. G4 might be a bit much.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I'll need about 2 more hours of imagery before I can calculate a forecast for this one. G4 might be a bit much.

My early guesstimate is G2 is probably best case. All of the bulk really looks to be southward. Would love to be wrong though.

33 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

My early guesstimate is G2 is probably best case. All of the bulk really looks to be southward. Would love to be wrong though.

20240122_152700_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

Most recent Nasa run. I dont know if its for this cme though? 

34 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

20240122_152700_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

Looks very much like it is; especially when you look at the middle animation showing the north-south distribution.

9 minutes ago, Fishaxolotl said:

Looks a bit weak for such an incredible eruption 

Well, it looked spectacular, but didn't seem like it was all that fast, filament eruptions generally aren't.

36 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

I think it is you need to look at the north-south cutout view... but I don't think it will hit Earth. Not a fan of these NASA models.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Looks very much like it is; especially when you look at the middle animation showing the north-south distribution.

Well, it looked spectacular, but didn't seem like it was all that fast, filament eruptions generally aren't.

Always wondered why people here hated on filaments 

8 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I think it is you need to look at the north-south cutout view... but I don't think it will hit Earth. Not a fan of these NASA models.

10 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

yes. i checked donki. image.thumb.png.acdc8b96514c02ab3da52883cc7b835f.png

On second thought, maybe that NASA model is for this most recent filament CME. Seems fast for them though. Southern weighted component of the CME definitely lines up though.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

On second thought, maybe that NASA model is for this most recent filament CME. Seems fast for them though. Southern weighted component of the CME definitely lines up though.

i posted the donki message with it. its the big filament eruption, the time fits. (mentioned time, not time of run)

18 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

It says on spaceweatherlive.com potential partial halo with. The most recent filament eruption. Angular width 196 

That is computer generated from a program called Cactus. The program takes the LASCO images and estimates how wide it is based on the difference in the images. Sometimes the program calculates it to be too wide and sometimes too thin.

The main of that CME is going to miss earth. There is a small chance for a glancing blow but I would say that is a rather small chance.

8 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

Ok thanks so don’t worry its just going to be a g2 or maybe g3

Ehm what do you base your G2 or G3 forecast on?

Also why would we worry if it was a G4? Only thing we have to worry about during a G4 is to have the batteries to our cameras charged.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 1

Just now, Nathan Majors said:

Ok sorry I was just guessing I don’t record the aruoras it might  effect power and technology 

Oh okay. I have seen that you have been worried about this in several posts and you really should listen when people in here tell you not to worry. It feels like you are following some fear mongering accounts on social media?

Not even a regular G5 would be a threat to our technology, we would have to have a G5+ but not even that would do too much damage. Our power grids have survived the Halloween storms with just minor downtime.

I suggest you unfollow these accounts that you are following. May I ask if you follow someone called Ben Davidson? In that case I understand your fear, he is trying to spread fear that isn't based in science. The best thing for you to do right now is to read a bunch of scientific papers on this and make your own conclusions based on those, instead of listening to people on social media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

Thank you that helped 

To be fair I should probably get off twitter 

We would have to experience a geomagnetic storm of G4 - G5 for several days for it to have a major impact on power grids or create dangerous GIC's (geomagnetic induced currents). The magnetic orientation of the plasma in the CME is also crucial to its geo-effectiveness. Generally, if Bz is northward it becomes less effective and if it sustains a southernly direction it becomes more effective. That being said, I would recommend watching Dr. Tamitha Skov on YouTube and watch the A Course playlist. It will better explain this topic. I hope that helps 🙂

This one is tougher with not being able to see everything, other CMEs and HSSs blocking and dulling the northeast part of the halo. It does look to be a slower CME. Given the velocities are high enough, I'd expect an arrival at some point on the 25th UTC. G1 would probably only be possible with an arrival on the early end.

Edited by Jesterface23