Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

28 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Another filament snap, this time from the SE quadrant. Looks to be partial halo and decently dense but combined with the wind from the coronal hole rotating into the strike zone could make for a decent glancing blow.

Nice! any lasco data yet? or why do you think partial halo? I thought its too much eastern/south

29 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Another filament snap, this time from the SE quadrant. Looks to be partial halo and decently dense but combined with the wind from the coronal hole rotating into the strike zone could make for a decent glancing blow.

oh and btw, i dont really see it snap? i looked at suvi last 2hours but i only see it move a bit and not really something leaving in 304 A ?

also keep in mind, the CH could also push away the snap 

43 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Nice! any lasco data yet? or why do you think partial halo? I thought its too much eastern/south

oh and btw, i dont really see it snap? i looked at suvi last 2hours but i only see it move a bit and not really something leaving in 304 A ?

also keep in mind, the CH could also push away the snap 

It actually disrupted the solar wind stream coming from near the Southern pole.

12_1_fs.JPG

It's a lot easier to see in motion but that's the approximate bloom from the CME.

12_1_fsa.JPG

Edited by cgrant26
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

9 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

It actually disrupted the solar wind stream coming from near the Southern pole.

12_1_fs.JPG

It's a lot easier to see in motion but that's the approximate bloom from the CME.

12_1_fsa.JPG

oh it happened at 16:30 UTC? That makes sense why i didnt see anything in recent suvi stuff. thank you! Is there any model yet? How much of that is earth directed?

"Other activity included a filament eruption centered near S30E58 that
began at 01/1344 UTC. A subsequent CME was observed off the SE limb at
01/1448 UTC. Modelling is underway, however it is unlikely to have an
Earth-directed component given its location."  <-- Noaa SWPC forecast discussion from 00:30 UTC ( 2h ago) @cgrant26
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Haven't seen any models yet but I'm sure we'll see them soon.

noaa said its likely to not have any earth directed part and nasa/noaa did both not issue a run yet.. nasa is usually quicker. maybe tomorrow, but in the last 10h no model, nothing appeared. the only official forecast is not likely to have an earth directed component. Im stoked for the CH though..

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

i looked at sdo, suvi, i cant find anything. is this earth directed?

It looks like it's related to a region over the southwest limb, so maybe old region 3489 or 3499.

Going to the filament late on the 1st, we did get a very faint halo out of it, but with the CH coming the arrival is uncertain.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 3:14 AM, Landon Moeller said:

Larger filament leaving the sun now in the northeast. Unsure if there will be a CME.

i was certain that was headed our way but so much happeed when it lifted off that im not sure now, its hard to see on the blue soho

• Like 1