Filaments (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

Looks like a pretty massive filament just released. Hard to tell yet how much got ejected and how much of the ejecta is falling back down since the filament goes beyond the edges of the SUVI imagery. Doesn't look Earth-directed at all though, but I guess it'll be interesting to see in the coronagrams.

Yep, definitely a visible ejection:

filament.png

Not that interesting overall though I guess, and hard to imagine anything Earth-directed going on here. Next.

Edited by Philalethes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Filament N05E85 this is SUVI-304 tower - approved for takeoff.  Follow runway heading.  Monitor STEREO A.  Contact departure at LASCO C2.

https://ibb.co/wdCRwq0

Not likely to have Earth-directed component, but should yield some coronagraph signature.  Several filament-source CMEs in the past few days.

Edited by Drax Spacex
more filaments more CMEs
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there was a filament eruption earlier associated with some interesting-looking activity across several different wavelengths. Looked like a rather low-lying filament from what I could tell. From the location and apparent direction, and looking at LASCO, it seems to me like there's a good chance of something Earth-directed from it, at least I think I can make out the eruption spanning more than 180° in the imagery.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

Do yo mean the one that looks like its in the same area as 3555?

And a little bright spot on the left of it.

It looks like in the upper left of the photos is also a part of the filament eruption

It's near it, looks like it happened between 3555 and 3560, a bit closer to the former from looking at it.

And yeah, that other filament also looks like it was part of the same activity, not sure if it was sympathetic or actually connected to it.

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

It's near it, looks like it happened between 3555 and 3560, a bit closer to the former from looking at it.

And yeah, that other filament also looks like it was part of the same activity, not sure if it was sympathetic or actually connected to it.

What about the SW eruption? I saw something on Twitter but I’m too late for suvi I think, and sdo is a pain to use for iPhone users. Someone posted about it on Twitter, do you maybe have some info? And the filament you posted, yep! I think some of it is earth directed :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

What about the SW eruption? I saw something on Twitter but I’m too late for suvi I think, and sdo is a pain to use for iPhone users. Someone posted about it on Twitter, do you maybe have some info? And the filament you posted, yep! I think some of it is earth directed :) 

Didn't even notice that one; doesn't seem like there's anything from it on LASCO at least, so I doubt that it's of much interest space-weather-wise, but I guess it's a sign of activity.

image.jpeg.65cc593d8eb04fd444a95017a9e29735.jpeg

There is a nice Filament near center disk

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

also visible here

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Didn't even notice that one; doesn't seem like there's anything from it on LASCO at least, so I doubt that it's of much interest space-weather-wise, but I guess it's a sign of activity.

20240120_124900_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

Looks to be a glancing impact, what do you think? Model says kp8 but im not buying that.. what do you think? HALO CME said January 23rd impact likely

met office is saying 5-7 and nasa M2M according to the CME scoreboard. i didnt think its that fast/earth directed but idk

• Cool 1

19 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

20240120_124900_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

Looks to be a glancing impact, what do you think? Model says kp8 but im not buying that.. what do you think? HALO CME said January 23rd impact likely

met office is saying 5-7 and nasa M2M according to the CME scoreboard. i didnt think its that fast/earth directed but idk

G4 would definitely surprise me. G1-G3 sounds a lot more plausible, I'd be guessing G1-G2 myself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

G4 would definitely surprise me. G1-G3 sounds a lot more plausible, I'd be guessing G1-G2 myself.

thanks! i tagged you in the other topic. i agree with you btw. i think G2 is the most plausible. 

• Like 2

but looks like part of it might hit us

to me it looked fully to the south in the video i attached, but im usually bad with this stuff. which part might hit us? so like a glance?

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

to me it looked fully to the south in the video i attached, but im usually bad with this stuff. which part might hit us? so like a glance?

It's never easy to tell from just SDO/SUVI imagery, as the flux rope itself typically expands as it moves outwards, and the sheath forms an ellipsoidal shell of plasma around the rope too, so determining if any part of that whole structure will hit us is difficult from just seeing the flux rope as it erupts. In the LASCO imagery we get a much better idea of the bulk movement, but even then it can still be hard to say exactly, as you probably know.

1-s2-0-S0273117723005239-gr3.jpg

• Like 1

It's never easy to tell from just SDO/SUVI imagery, as the flux rope itself typically expands as it moves outwards, and the sheath forms an ellipsoidal shell of plasma around the rope too, so determining if any part of that whole structure will hit us is difficult from just seeing the flux rope as it erupts. In the LASCO imagery we get a much better idea of the bulk movement, but even then it can still be hard to say exactly, as you probably know.

1-s2-0-S0273117723005239-gr3.jpg

thanks!