Incoming Regions (de-commissioned)

MinYoongi

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

I saw that and said out loud "Well, that's not the center of the disk now is it." Hey, at least we have something to look forward to next week haha..

I'm curious to see if this most recent flare will put us into the S3 threshold.

Very good point on the threshold. I was thinking exactly the same thing.  We should know within an hour or so I might imagine.  It would be unusual to have the higher 50 and 100 mev or greater come up as well. But if the  50 -100 mev come up a warning should be issued…  over the pole air flights caution etc. nothing extreme but it has been some time I think. 

14 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

There's been a far side CME, a over the western limb CME, a over the eastern limb CME. Now we just need a....

Big sucker from 3576

Edited by hamateur 1953
Typo

5 minutes ago, tniickck said:

I bet it won’t happen😃

Something interesting might be happening in the earthfacing region now, time will tell in the upcoming hour if it releases anything at all.

Edited by mozy

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

Something interesting might be happening in the earthfacing region now, time will tell in the upcoming hour if it releases anything at all.

I’ve been watching it most of the day also.  Weirdest AR ever. Escalating activity too,    Time will tell as always.  

7 hours ago, tniickck said:

it is REALLY large. i bet it was an X flare. so much coronal mass was ejected on the dimming

solar orbiter will tell

I don't think x-rays from the flare were any higher than what GOES measured. I have seen people here and on twitter say the flare was behind the limb, but to me the flare seems to originate just over the limb on the Earth facing side of the sun. You can clearly see the the chromosphere brighten in the 1600A wavelength at the time of the flare.

2024_02_10_03_59_29_AIA_1600.png

Edited by Aten
  • Like 2

Just now, Aten said:

I don't think x-rays from the flare were any higher than what GOES measured. I have seen people here and on twitter say the flare was behind the limb, but to me the flare seems to be originate just over the limb on the Earth facing side of the sun. You can clearly see the the chromosphere brighten in the 1600A wavelength at the time of the flare.

2024_02_10_03_59_29_AIA_1600.png

so the flare was from nowhere? 

33 minutes ago, tniickck said:

so the flare was from nowhere? 

There is a small sunspot in that area. I guess there could be a small chance there is another spot still behind the limb and the flare covered a large area of the chromosphere and partially wrapped around onto the Earth facing side. I think it is far more likely the small sunspot visible near the limb is the culprit though.

For comparison here is what the X3 flare the other day looked like in 1600A near the peak of the flare. This was a true behind the limb flare. You can see some small prominences emerge from the limb but there is no brightening on the disk.

2024_02_09_13_14_29_AIA_1600.png

Edited by Aten
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Solar_Marcel said:

AR_Map.png.17c2926140859f0dd432d9b7251ecc29.png

Well there could be one or the other sunspot, that comes to visit our side, haha
I didn´t look, but could there be a returning region among those coming?

bright

Screenshot 2024-02-10 235255.jpg

There seems to be a region coming in the South Quadrant and in the North Quadrant on the incoming (West) side

Screenshot 2024-02-11 214114.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-11 214524.jpg

1 hour ago, Solar_Marcel said:

There seems to be a region coming in the South Quadrant and in the North Quadrant on the incoming (West) side

Screenshot 2024-02-11 214114.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-11 214524.jpg

You’re probably aware of this already, but the swpc uses east for incoming regions.  Yes, we all agree, it seems silly, but like Red for negative polarity is the convention…….unless the synoptic map has changed… I should checkitout. Never know.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Checking syn map

4 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

You’re probably aware of this already, but the swpc uses east for incoming regions.  Yes, we all agree, it seems silly, but like Red for negative polarity is the convention…….

Yes i am aware...
But WHY?

• Like 1

Ask swpc.  Honestly I am clueless and it’s still backwards btw.  Edit:  Sorry @Solar_Marcel   I plead cowardice. I’m also not gonna touch the polarity issue. A guess would be pointless without corroborated evidence I should imagine.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Yes i am aware...
But WHY?

It's explained here. Notable excerpt:

In 1961, Commission 16 (i.e., Physical Study of the Planets) of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) established labels on the moon. They deemed east as the same direction as Mare Crisium on the moon. This means that, when you’re gazing at the moon, Mare Crisium is to the right, and therefore to the east. The IAU then applied this same rule to all celestial bodies but the sun. For some unexplained reason, the sun remained labeled as it had previously.

Personally I'd argue the best convention is to define all cardinal directions by axis and direction of rotation. North would be the pole which if seen from above rotates counterclockwise, and east would be the direction of rotation. That way you'd have an easy standard even for oddballs like Venus and Caelus.

Edited by Philalethes
east, not west
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Thanks @Philalethes  do you wanna touch the “ third rail” of polarity colours?   Haha. 

I'd like to know the origin of that myself, but I have no idea how or when that originated. Thus I don't know whether or not there might actually be some physical justification for it in the case of electromagnetic phenomena in stars, but I have my doubts; I'd think it far more likely that the first person to make colored magnetograms went with it on a whim without much regard to the convention used otherwise. If anyone has any idea about it I'd sure love to know.

23 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

Could the northern region be the one that generated the CME full halo on the far side on February 6?

I don't have much evidence to make this statement but it seems too soon for that region to make it's appearance. It also seems it would be more centered, based on coronagraph imaging (which probably isn't much to make a basis off of). Although to argue with myself, the suns northern latitudes do make their rotations much faster than it's middle latitude. I'm stating this before I look at simulated far side images so im prepared to be corrected 😅

Edited by Parabolic
Typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

the suns northern latitudes do make their rotations must faster than it's middle latitude

Other way around; although that just makes your argument stronger rather than weaker. But in this case we're not really talking that far north, seems to be at around 10-15N, maybe 20N at most; the latter would be the slowest at ~25.5 days per rotation, so the ~6 days until now would fit roughly a quarter rotation fairly well. I'd say there's a decent chance it might be the same region, but I wouldn't say anything for sure.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Other way around; although that just makes your argument stronger rather than weaker. But in this case we're not really talking that far north, seems to be at around 10-15N, maybe 20N at most; the latter would be the slowest at ~25.5 days per rotation, so the ~6 days until now would fit roughly a quarter rotation fairly well. I'd say there's a decent chance it might be the same region, but I wouldn't say anything for sure.

Ah this must be the Coriolis Effect correct? 

10 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

Ah this must be the Coriolis Effect correct? 

I don't think the differential rotation itself is caused by Coriolis force or effects, but like the rotation here on Earth it would cause such force and effects. In fact, since the Solar rotation is differentially slower at higher latitudes, it would be even more exaggerated there than here. It's certainly believed to affect meridional flows (along longitudes). There's also internal differential rotation at different depths, down to the inner core which appears to rotate like a solid body (with the transition between the two known as the "tachocline").

As for what causes and maintains the differential rotation that's still not clearly established. The Solar dynamo refers to how the movement generates the electromagnetic field, in this case believed to be from a part of the internal differential rotation, but as with any dynamo there is obviously a need for an energy source to keep it going. The standard view is as you probably know that the power source is nuclear fusion, but the process as a whole from fusion to movement to electromagnetism is still far from being understood well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I don't think the differential rotation itself is caused by Coriolis force or effects, but like the rotation here on Earth it would cause such force and effects. In fact, since the Solar rotation is differentially slower at higher latitudes, it would be even more exaggerated there than here. It's certainly believed to affect meridional flows (along longitudes). There's also internal differential rotation at different depths, down to the inner core which appears to rotate like a solid body (with the transition between the two known as the "tachocline").

As for what causes and maintains the differential rotation that's still not clearly established. The Solar dynamo refers to how the movement generates the electromagnetic field, in this case believed to be from a part of the internal differential rotation, but as with any dynamo there is obviously a need for an energy source to keep it going. The standard view is as you probably know that the power source is nuclear fusion, but the process as a whole from fusion to movement to electromagnetism is still far from being understood well.

Could the Coriolis Effect instead be applied as the partial cause of specific magnetic configurations in sunspots relative to their hemispheres? Internal differential rotation could cause multiple Coriolis Effects, which could be part of the reason why some sunspot groups emerge with opposite polarities. I'm really interested learning about subsurface flows and convective zones.

At this point I see I'm straying pretty far from the Incoming Regions topic. Do you by chance know of any material that could allow me to continue learning about this subject?

• Like 1

image.png.35a8e8a44f1e45fa804fafdc6463cd9d.pngScreenshot2024-02-12105803.jpg.7b4fbbedd463dd36f0b2a040afd563fe.jpg
Sorry for the unimaginably bad picture there lol, but i think there is at least one spot barely visible on the limb now.
But i have to say, if you look on the 4096x4096 picture from SDO it looks quite large when i compare it to for example to AR 3583, time will tell....

9 hours ago, Parabolic said:

Could the Coriolis Effect instead be applied as the partial cause of specific magnetic configurations in sunspots relative to their hemispheres? Internal differential rotation could cause multiple Coriolis Effects, which could be part of the reason why some sunspot groups emerge with opposite polarities. I'm really interested learning about subsurface flows and convective zones.

At this point I see I'm straying pretty far from the Incoming Regions topic. Do you by chance know of any material that could allow me to continue learning about this subject?

It's thought to be at least part of the cause for why active regions tend to be tilted with an angle that varies with latitude (Joy's law). Not so sure about opposite polarities, as that tends to happen when the fields are more complex, I'd venture to guess that other factors probably dominate there, but it could imaginably be involved there too.

I agree that it's straying from the topic, so for further replies it's probably best to either dig up some thread on the topic or make a new one. Here and here are a couple of examples of papers you can look at, although I'm sure you can find a lot more if you search around for the relevant terms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1