AR3663

Posted (edited)

AR 3663 is becoming more and more interesting everyday. The previous run shows two opposite polarities right next to each other. With HMIIF, I can see that there might be a penumbra share, but not an umbra share (yet). I would quite probably keep my eyes on that sunspot in the days to come.  

Edited by chronical
Grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chronical said:

but not an umbra share (yet)

That's not very common, so I probably wouldn't expect it, but there's definitely no separation between the penumbrae, the spots are very close together. The delta looks pretty good, I'd also be expecting some flaring from it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

That's not very common, so I probably wouldn't expect it

Can you explain this further? :) thank you. Im not quite getting it.. 😧 

2 hours ago, chronical said:

I can see that there might be a penumbra share, but not an umbra share (yet). I would quite probably keep my eyes on that sunspot in the days to come.  

To me it looks like a normal delta.. am i misunderstanding/missing something? 

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

To me it looks like a normal delta.. am i misunderstanding/missing something? 

It's quite compact and is fairly sizeable with more spots growing into it.

Definitely looks good for bigger flaring with this growth.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Can you explain this further? :) thank you. Im not quite getting it.. 😧 

On some occasions for delta spots when seen on the intensitygrams it seems like not just their penumbrae are merged, but that even the umbrae themselves are merged, i.e. looking like a single umbra despite having two different polarities.

But yeah, in this case it's just a regular delta as far as I can tell, but it looks fairly good, decent-sized spots very close together and fast growth, so we'll see how it develops.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Just now, mozy said:

It's quite compact and is fairly sizeable with more spots growing into it.

Definitely looks good for bigger flaring with this growth.

i just started watching now so i didnt knew, hehe :D thank you mozy, for giving me context and making it easier to understand. 

When did it start developing in that good direction? so i can pull the right pictures from sdo, since movies still are a pain on apple.

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

On some occasions for delta spots when seen on the intensitygrams it seems like not just their penumbrae are merged, but that even the umbrae themselves are merged, i.e. looking like a single umbra despite having two different polarities.

But yeah, in this case it's just a regular delta as far as I can tell, but it looks fairly good, decent-sized spots very close together and fast growth, so we'll see how it develops.

Ah, thank you. I now understand! Yeah they are not that "mushed together" yet, as youve said earlier. thats why i said it looks like a "normal delta" to me.

when did it start developing? I sadly was quite busy in the last few days so i did not catch it :( 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i just started watching now so i didnt knew, hehe :D thank you mozy, for giving me context and making it easier to understand. 

When did it start developing in that good direction? so i can pull the right pictures from sdo, since movies still are a pain on apple.

Ah, thank you. I now understand! Yeah they are not that "mushed together" yet, as youve said earlier. thats why i said it looks like a "normal delta" to me.

when did it start developing? I sadly was quite busy in the last few days so i did not catch it :( 

Around midnight our time, was that delta growth that produced the 2 latest M-flares.

Edited by mozy

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Around midnight our time, was that delta growth that produced the 2 latest M-flares.

thankies! i will pull some sdo frames then :D  hehe. 

i forgot we're in the same timezone. im gmt+7 i believe.

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Probably late yesterday at some point, I only have pictures of it locally from around 02:00 today. From then it developed like this:

lapses.gif

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

im gmt+7 i believe.

Heh, not unless you live in China or Southeast Asia.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Probably late yesterday at some point, I only have pictures of it locally from around 02:00 today. From then it developed like this:

lapses.gif

Heh, not unless you live in China or Southeast Asia.

youre right. its GMT+1. silly me. :D  Are you from europe too? 

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Are you from europe too? 

Well, I was born in Europe, but strictly speaking I'm a great ape hailing from the tropical equatorial rainforests of Central Africa.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

That's not very common, so I probably wouldn't expect it, but there's definitely no separation between the penumbrae, the spots are very close together. The delta looks pretty good, I'd also be expecting some flaring from it.

I’ve always thought that a delta had to have a merged umbra, thanks for correcting me :)

@Philalethes, I wonder if you have access to the data that indicates if this sunspot group is magnetically caged or not? Or is it evident that it is not caged because, compared to the two recent cases, the sunspot group is smaller ?

Edited by chronical

3 minutes ago, chronical said:

I’ve always thought that a delta had to have a merged umbra, thanks for correcting me :)

i used to think that too when i started to read about deltas! :D seems to be a not so uncommon misconception.

• Like 1

Does a sunspot with a delta have to go a period of time without releasing smaller flares in order to release an x-flare or does it just increase its probability of it happening?

3 minutes ago, Jay-B said:

Does a sunspot with a delta have to go a period of time without releasing smaller flares in order to release an x-flare or does it just increase its probability of it happening?

It definitely varies with every sunspot, some are just quiet while other regions produce X-flares only after smaller flares trigger it, some are letting off steam constantly killing the delta before anything bigger can happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

some are letting off steam constantly killing the delta before anything bigger can happen.

I always imagined it like this too! Sadly i never found a definite answer about this specific topic.

It seemed to be a somewhat eruptive event across the northern and southeast disk. Center and west-center disk CHs would be blocking the shock there.

Early info, STEREO A is the first to capture the CME in coronagraph imagery.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mozy said:

We now have a X-flare ongoing 😎

Edit: X1.69, nice ;)

Wow, I completly missed it! Just woke up and since I have my X-Ray flux set to 6h, I missed it 😂 thank you for reporting guys!

8 hours ago, mozy said:

There is movement/ejecta but looks minor at first glance.

8 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

It seemed to be a somewhat eruptive event across the northern and southeast disk. Center and west-center disk CHs would be blocking the shock there.

Early info, STEREO A is the first to capture the CME in coronagraph imagery.

Halo CME agrees with you two :) 

Edited by MinYoongi
typo
  • Like 1