AR3663

It is decreasing on Goes. It looks like sunspots are somehow limited to a certain flare intensity. Or some sort of threshold effect. This one around M9/X1. And I remember some recent ones which were repeatedly flaring at a quite constant intensity.

Any thought about that? Related to magnetic caging? Also I think that recently there are a lot of strong flares with no CME. Is it usual behavior?

20 minutes ago, Manu said:

Also I think that recently there are a lot of strong flares with no CME. Is it usual behavior?

Is the most recent flare CME less?

Posted (edited)

Active regions can always surprise you. Often times complex spots like these will rattle off a bunch of similar strength, impulsive flares and other times a random, plain looking spot can fire off a beast of a flare with a huge CME. Just goes to show the Sun is not as predictable as we wish it were. 

That said, Impulsive flaring definitely seems to be more common than eruptive flaring, especially with stronger flares. I'd venture a guess that magnetic caging probably plays a part in that. I'm no expert though.

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is the most recent flare CME less?

Looked impulsive like the rest.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

really? :o so the eruption "creates" the arcades and not the flare? The name is misleading then! :D 

7 hours ago, mozy said:

I don't think It's that misleading, the eruptions are usually associated with flares within sunspots, and they appear after an eruptive event.

Indeed, they are also often in the literature referred to as "post-eruption arcades" as well from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yay.

Currently, to me the flare looks slightly eruptive, lesser so than the previous X-class and M9 flares.

Oh! Update on that? 

Is the current enhancement from the southern or this region? Is say this

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Ah I see. M2-ish is from 3664 and the higher recent enhancement is from this region. Thank you!

And they seem both impulsive, I don’t see any significant movement 😕

3 minutes ago, Sotiris Konstantis said:

Has anyone counted how many R1, R2 and R3 we've had from this banger?

If I can count it should be around 3 R3, 4 R2 and 10 R1. Could very well be wrong though because thats just from the region's info on swl. (It only shows 1 X flare there bcs the current one isnt listed yet and the other one landed on a wrong region)

53 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Another X-flare, not bad at all. Let's see if it's more eruptive this time around.

38 minutes ago, SamDieGurke said:

it seems slightly eruptive at first glance, some movement on 195A on SUVI

yeah i saw some movement too. now in the right thread, whats your guys opinion? :D and @mozy of course. hehe (thank you for reminding me about the thread!)

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

yeah i saw some movement too. now in the right thread, whats your guys opinion? :D and @mozy of course. hehe (thank you for reminding me about the thread!)

There is some movement indeed, but I'm not confident It's an actual CME or if It's just some loops lifting & disappearing into thin air.

1 minute ago, mozy said:

There is some movement indeed, but I'm not confident It's an actual CME or if It's just some loops lifting & disappearing into thin air.

hm yes. it also looks very northward-y to me, if its a cme. lasco still down i suppose? never had this long with no data for the period ive watched actively.

2 uren geleden, mozy zei:

In order.
M 1.8 - R1
M 1.0 - R1
X 1.69 - R3
M 4.5 - R1
M 1.1 - R1
M 2.4 - R1
M 1.6 - R1
M 9.1 - R2
M 1.5 - R1
M 1.3 - R1
M 3.2 - R1
M 9.1 - R2
M 8.4 - R2
X 1.3 - R3
M 1.3 - R1
M 7.4 -R2
X 1.29 - R3

Total: 10 R1
           4 R2
           3 R3

Taking this into account: we’ve had 31 X-class flares this solar cycle (since 2022). Under the previous calibration (used last solar cycle), we’d have only TWO(!!!). This is a MASSIVE discrepancy, that must be considered in qualitative and quantitative comparisons.

7ePffGQ-_normal.jpg

This info was published by NOAA in 2020. Historic science data has been re-adjusted to the new calibration levels, but archived flare operation info will always have the original values (so will present flare values much lower than this cycle/reality). https://ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/satellite/goes/doc/GOES_XRS_readme.pdf

7ePffGQ-_normal.jpg

I think this thread is important info for fellow solar creators/writers! (Some of you will be familiar already). etc