AR3663

2 hours ago, chronical said:

It seems to have developed a big delta kind of, but not exactly, like one of the sunspots that fired a big flare right in front of earth for the Halloween storms of 2003. Of course this sunspot group is smaller so we shouldn’t expect that but still very interesting.

It’s funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing! RE: 10486 and its massive shear line development just before it spit out the X 17+ on its way to the limb to make history.  Haha. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

14 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

It’s funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing! RE: 10486 and its massive shear line development just before it spit out the X 17+ on its way to the limb to make history.  Haha. 

i have never seen it but is it really that similar?

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i have never seen it but is it really that similar?

It isn’t exactly as depicted in Halloween storms of course, but the shear line covers nearly the entire length of the negative region “ smooshed “ against the blue positive region, or did last time I looked at the HMI pics.  Pretty amazing, really. 

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The shear is significant, though especially the negative polarity umbra is lacking strength currently.

nwgative = red? I swear i gotta write it down somewhere.

14 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

nwgative = red? I swear i gotta write it down somewhere.

Don’t feel bad @MinYoongi  I have to think about it every single time.  Cuz automobile jumper cables sure aren’t polarised in this fashion.  Haha.  Mike 

It gets worse @MinYoongi  High voltage wiring is always in red insulation ( hot) or potentially lethal to us Hams who work in high voltage circuits regularly.  So it’s completely counterintuitive for a Ham to think of Red anything as being negative..  haha 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The shear is significant, though especially the negative polarity umbra is lacking strength currently.

Seems like its been grabbing a bit of strength lately, lets hope it keeps the trend going

35 minutes ago, chronical said:

Seems like its been grabbing a bit of strength lately, lets hope it keeps the trend going

Hmm.. i have to say that i dont really agree, comparing intensigrams from an hour to now it looks like it got slightly smaller and broke apart. not significant or decaying or anything, just does not look like its growing to me, the positive is slightly growing to my eye

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hmm.. i have to say that i dont really agree, comparing intensigrams from an hour to now it looks like it got slightly smaller and broke apart. not significant or decaying or anything, just does not look like its growing to me, the positive is slightly growing to my eye

You’re right, earlier it was quite less evident if it was the case but now its clear that the negative spot is shrinking

Well Unfortunately now id have to agree.  However as an optimist in this game of CMEs it probably ain’t done yet.  10486 tried blowing itself apart numerous times as I recall. Only to regenerate and get ruder as time evolved. Haha. 

9 minutes ago, chronical said:

You’re right, earlier it was quite less evident if it was the case but now its clear that the negative spot is shrinking

L

27 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Heh, I was just reading some papers about that one in the context of shear. I found a short one (here) analyzing the magnetic free energy of the region, and it had a vector magnetogram of the region:

ar10486vectormagnetogram.png

For anyone interested in shear, note particularly the direction of the arrows, which as the caption explains mark the direction of the transverse (horizontal), at the border between the red and blue areas (note that red and blue here are the opposite of the magnetograms we usually look at, with red being positive and blue being negative, which if you ask me is more sensible and conventional). If we look at the tiny blue area to the right, we can see the magnetic field lines flowing out of the positive (red) and into that negative (blue), which means there's no significant shear there; but if we look at the border between the main red areas and the larger blue areas on the left and top, we see that the arrows are moving along that edge, which means they are shearing there, and there was certainly no shortage of that in that region!

Really impressive @Philalethes! Wow. What a mess.  Haha 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

m1. flare from this region. the m flare before was from the limb region, so no idea if this one was an impulsive one :) 

Maybe this M1 can trigger a bigger flare soon :)

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

Maybe this M1 can trigger a bigger flare soon :)

I dont know where this current flare is from. can you maybe already tell? 

Btw, how does a flare trigger another? :o interesting! ( i mean within the same region, not sympathetic flaring) 

Solar soft seems to indicate 3663 as the most recent, however I see no mention of the larger M 2+ anywhere except the m4 much earlier.  Probably the larger flare was limb as a guess.  
as for triggering within a region, I will defer to others on that @MinYoongi

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont know where this current flare is from. can you maybe already tell? 

Btw, how does a flare trigger another? :o interesting! ( i mean within the same region, not sympathetic flaring) 

Same reason to what we talked before with loops rising/filaments within regions lifting, it lits the area up & makes stuff move around during the flare, you can see it on SUVI now how it nicely triggered that M2.4 right after north of the M1 area.

3 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Solar soft seems to indicate 3663 as the most recent, however I see no mention of the larger M 2+ anywhere except the m4 much earlier.  Probably the larger flare was limb as a guess.  
as for triggering within a region, I will defer to others on that @MinYoongi

the most recent flare is from this region too. the first M flare was from the departing limb :) 

26 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

the most recent flare is from this region too. the first M flare was from the departing limb :) 

Correct. I just checked solar ham. The M 2.4 was from 3663.  

another flare, i just dont know if its from this region. likely :) 

is sdo showing you guys 2022 pictures too for Intensigram/Magnetogram? 

5a17d379a3e34847684b6c12cb6f367d.jpg

also on mobile. only this and the coloured magnetogram.

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

another flare, i just dont know if its from this region. likely :) 

is sdo showing you guys 2022 pictures too for Intensigram/Magnetogram? 

5a17d379a3e34847684b6c12cb6f367d.jpg

also on mobile. only this and the coloured magnetogram.

Yeah lol

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

am i right in the assumption/observation of no dimming with the last flares?

There's nothing indeed