Strong far side CME

MinYoongi

53 minutes ago, tniickck said:

and another one) 

That makes four? Unless I’m not mistaken.  I wonder If the Mars rover mast cam would show what’s left of the sun before it loses so much mass it looks like an apple with a bite out of it. Haha. 3575 owes us, and stupid, lazy 3576 is about to repeat 3575 performance on the backside imho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

That makes four? Unless I’m not mistaken.  I wonder If the Mars rover mast cam would show what’s left of the sun before it loses so much mass it looks like an apple with a bite out of it. Haha. 3575 owes us, and stupid, lazy 3576 is about to repeat 3575 performance on the backside imho. 

When will 3575 make its reappearance? In7-8days ?

It was a wild guess on my part “ballpark” so to speak. Frankly, I am not even sure where the line is drawn as far as “Regions due to return “. My presumption has been when they  are at about 90 degrees on our left as we view the sun.  

3 hours ago, cheebee said:

what are the odds of that?!

Pretty slim. Reminds me of 10486 in 2003.  For a real treat watch the Halloween storms video if you haven’t yet!! 

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

When will 3575 make its reappearance? In7-8days ?

Edited by hamateur 1953
Halloween storms
  • Like 3

Hi all
I got an alert on my phone from SWPC:

"Space Weather Message Code: ALTTP2 Serial Number: 1272 Issue Time: 2024 Feb 15 1401 UTC ALERT: Type II Radio Emission Begin Time: 2024 Feb 15 0910 UTC Estimated Velocity: 1959 km/s Description: Type II emissions occur in association with eruptions on the sun and typically indicate a coronal mass ejection is associated with a flare event."

I do have no clue what could be the reason.
Any solution from one of you? Watch the speed! Earth sided? But where?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Edited by Chris, HB9DFG

14 minutes ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hi all

"Space Weather Message Code: ALTTP2 Serial Number: 1272 Issue Time: 2024 Feb 15 1401 UTC ALERT: Type II Radio Emission Begin Time: 2024 Feb 15 0910 UTC Estimated Velocity: 1959 km/s Description: Type II emissions occur in association with eruptions on the sun and typically indicate a coronal mass ejection is associated with a flare event."

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Yes Chris.  Probably old 3575 which has been performing spectacular events of late on the backside unfortunately for us.  Unless 3576 let go. Dare I hope?  Haha.  Mike. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lesley said:

Did anyone else notice the sun wobble/shift, from our view point, at the time of the big far side flare?  

Sometimes the satellite’s camera processing causes the sun to appear to hop around. Neither the sun nor even the actual satellite can wobble as far as I know. 

3 uren geleden, Lesley zei:

Did anyone else notice the sun wobble/shift, from our view point, at the time of the big far side flare?  

The wobble/shift is calibration of the camera-lens so that the alignment with the Sun is picture perfect. This happens regularly. Two times in a year it also performs a barrel roll to recalibrate the sensors. And sometimes there are maneuvers to maintain the geostationary orbit.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hi all

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

I am just learning and had the same thought/question?

• Like 1

An enormous X-level applause for all those who contributed to this visually fantastic and historical piece of work... and a big shout out to hamateur 1953 for directing our attention to this archived masterwork.  Kudos ALL!  Through this document, I now feel as though I might have gained a much better understanding for some of the the stormy definitions of "extreme solar activity".

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Newbie said:

Thanks for resurrecting this.

That fact is that solar radio bursts travel out from the source in all directions therefore some far side eruptions that produce solar radio bursts are able to be detected earth side by radio telescopes.

Solar radio bursts, including type II, type III, and type IV bursts, are associated with dynamic processes such as shock waves from coronal mass ejections (CMEs) or energetic particle acceleration during solar flares.

These bursts are transient and occur suddenly during solar events.
Solar radio bursts propagate through the solar corona and the interplanetary medium. The medium can vary in density, magnetic field strength, and plasma turbulence, which can influence the propagation speed of the bursts travelling at much slower speeds than radio waves emitted during a flare which travel at light speed.

Solar radio bursts are radio waves. These bursts are emissions of electromagnetic radiation in the radio frequency range of the electromagnetic spectrum.

N.

Thank you for the excellent information Newbie!
I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

The one thing keeping me sane about the situation is that even if the region was facing Earth, the CMEs have had a decent southward launch component. lol

That thought is so painful, it rates a meme haha.  Five massive blasts and all miss us by THAT much…….  Ouch!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I really dislike the wording of that and what youre implying. thats very speculative and unneccessarily fearmonger-y.. most people here are sad its not earth facing

also like jesterface said, most of them were too far south even if earth facing.. just my 2 cents.

back to topic, do you guys think we will see it back around? it doesnt look "big" on farside imagery, if i recall correctly.

I don't think it's fear mongering. Based on the knowledge about recent biggest geomagnetic storms, all of them were an effect of 2 or more ICMEs hitting earth. There we had 5 or 6 very big ICMEs in just about a week. Of course I don't say it for sure would do a harm to our electric infrastructure or satellite network, but it's very likely. 

And yes, it is speculative, just like all space weather until we get some hard data. Scientist did speculate about recent solar storms, so why shouldn't we do it now?