Strong far side CME

MinYoongi

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Maybe 25-40 hours of travel time to 1AU, so it's getting close

? what do you mean

its far side

29 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

With launch speed estimates of 3000km/s, that CME could have had the potential for G5 storms if it had been Earth-directed, I’m sad it’s not. 
Still a good sign for the strength of SC25 though!

he states they are rare, when was the last time we've seen such? the speed reminds me of the halloween storms? Do we have a region on the farside that evolved after rotating off the limb?

• Like 1

Launch speed of potentially 3,000km/s+, and causing a radiation storm to occur even on the Earth-facing side. This definitely is an exceptional event. Not headed for Earth, but hopefully one of our satellites/probes will get some data from this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Launch speed of potentially 3,000km/s+, and causing a radiation storm to occur even on the Earth-facing side. This definitely is an exceptional event. Not headed for Earth, but hopefully one of our satellites/probes will get some data from this.

Welcome back!

Halloween Storm level event, or possibly higher?

1 minute ago, Sam Warfel said:

Welcome back!

Halloween Storm level event, or possibly higher?

It's good to be back!

I'm open for more interpretation but this has a faster speed than those 2003 CMEs. Likely stronger. 3,000 km/s is among the fastest CME speeds we know about.

3 minutes ago, arjemma said:

It's still rare though and very cool. It would be cool to know how this CME would have affected earth if it was earth directed. 

Hopefully some of our probes in orbit will be able to measure the CME!

• Like 1

Just now, SpaceWeather5464 said:

S1 storm from a backside CME wow. I think the last time this happened was on July 23, 2012. This is the most powerful CME so far this solar cycle.

Yeah, I was thinking something like this rarely happens. Today's CME may be of the same caliber.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Yeah, I was thinking something like this rarely happens. Today's CME may be of the same caliber.

3000 km/s+ are the rarest CME’s. There was another backside CME a few days ago that could have cleared the path of particles to allow this CME to go fast very rare indeed.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

i think we got a radiation storm from a farside cme last year, i will dig through twitter to re-find it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

Mit geschätzten Startgeschwindigkeiten von 3000 km/s hätte dieses CME das Potenzial für G5-Stürme gehabt, wenn es auf die Erde gerichtet gewesen wäre, ich bin traurig, dass es das nicht ist. 
Trotzdem ein gutes Zeichen für die Stärke von SC25 !

I am not sad. 3000 km/s! 

Carrington? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arjemma said:

Beautiful big eruption on the farside. I wonder what region it might be. Very exciting 😍

b04da67d8a2548ae79e8baf86dd9a648.gif

My best estimate would suggest that this came from AR3243 which was growing as it approached the West limb and produced an M5.8 flare on 5th March and an M5.08 on 6th March. It is located at Carrington longitude C307 which would mean it is approaching centre disk on the farside.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

My best estimate would suggest that this came from AR3243 which was growing as it approached the West limb and produced an M5.8 flare on 5th March and an M5.08 on 6th March. It is located at Carrington longitude C307 which would mean it is approaching centre disk on the farside.

yeah i thought so too, have you looked at farside imagery?

36 minutes ago, Hagen72 said:

Carrington? 

Fast, but possibly closer to the 2003 Halloween storms than a Carrington level event.

1 minute ago, 3gMike said:

My best estimate would suggest that this came from AR3243

The shock came from the southern disk, opposite side of our southeast quarter of the disk. 3236 or 3230 seem closer, but they fell apart going over the limb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Fast, but possibly closer to the 2003 Halloween storms than a Carrington level event.

The shock came from the southern disk, opposite side of our southeast quarter of the disk. 3236 or 3230 seem closer, but they fell apart going over the limb.

Carrington was 2300 or 2500 km/s because it took 18 hours. People are saying this one was 3000 km/s.

2 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Think it could have been 3234 too? Of course CMEs can launch in different directions, but 3234 seems to be a better fit location-wise if you assume the strongest part of the CME directed radially outward, doesn't it? It was flaring like crazy too.

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Interesting; that's a helioseismological model, I take it? Do you know how accurate they typically are? My first guess without knowing that would have been 3234, but that was definitely quite a bit north (~N25).

• Like 1

When will this region return?

13 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Most exciting event this solar cycle for sure. I'm also thinking that it might be AR 3234, it fits with the location. Oh how I wished STEREO A was more ahead of earth, I wanna see what's going on! 

4 hours ago, Flareguy18 said:

Hopefully some of our probes in orbit will be able to measure the CME!

Parker Solar Probe is literally in the exact position that would seemingly take the brunt of it; would be great if it got some good data on it from up close.

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

have you looked at farside imagery?

Here's the latest from GONG:

image.png

Regions fade in and out, but I believe P10 (P100?) might be 3234 and P76 3243; could be wrong, though. Also, Jesterface23 said the shock came from the southern hemisphere, so perhaps it's from the P83/P74 region there. Here's another view:

image.png

I assume this either came from the rightmost region there, or the leftmost bottom one if it did indeed come from the southern hemisphere.

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

When will this region return?

From this it looks like it crossed the central meridian on 26/02, and at that latitude the rotational period is still ~25 days, so if we assume ~19 days until it shows up again on the limb, that would be 17/03. That's for 3234, but still don't know if that was really the one to produce it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Think it could have been 3234 too? Of course CMEs can launch in different directions, but 3234 seems to be a better fit location-wise if you assume the strongest part of the CME directed radially outward, doesn't it?

I agree, 3234 seems like a better fit based on its location and the fact that it already had some complexity to it. 3236 would also be in the correct location but it looked like it was weakening as it crossed the limb. If Jester is right about the shock on the southern limb, then it very likely could have been 3236.

Either way, I think we’ll get a view on the limb in about 5 to 6 days of both regions.

• Like 2

A bit off topic here but looks like the ground magnetometers was affected as well (see the slope down) which is pretty cool. If that's even the cause but looks like it? It dipped when the protons rose. Large eruption indeed.

76ec2865c5a83d65a58adb2c7a67e19a.png

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While it would've caused exciting G4-G5 level aurora, I don't even wanna begin to imagine the other side effects that would've been associated with it. tries to control intense urge to go on Youtube or social media

5 hours ago, Hagen72 said:

I am not sad. 3000 km/s! 

Carrington? 

Yeah, that's my sentiments about this too. 😓

Edited by Bedreamon
  • Like 1