Region 3190

MinYoongi

Seems strange how quiet things have been for the past 20 hours or so. One C8 but otherwise the trend has been going down gradually to just very low C values and very few burps over this time. I'm sure more experienced people have seen this before, but when I look at the sunspot regions I see lots, including the two quite big ones (compared to recent weeks) 3186 and 3190. Then when I look Flares over the past three days the most recent 20 hours looks like the sun is falling asleep. Not what I would have expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marc-pdx said:

Seems strange how quiet things have been for the past 20 hours or so. One C8 but otherwise the trend has been going down gradually to just very low C values and very few burps over this time. I'm sure more experienced people have seen this before, but when I look at the sunspot regions I see lots, including the two quite big ones (compared to recent weeks) 3186 and 3190. Then when I look Flares over the past three days the most recent 20 hours looks like the sun is falling asleep. Not what I would have expected.

Size sadly doesnt mean everything, complexity is much more important (3188 which blew a X2 while being tiny!)

For this region: I think the blue part split off and left the penumbra, killing the delta. waiting for my sensei @mozy to confirm this :D !

• Like 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Size sadly doesnt mean everything, complexity is much more important (3188 which blew a X2 while being tiny!)

For this region: I think the blue part split off and left the penumbra, killing the delta. waiting for my sensei @mozy to confirm this :D !

Yes, it's in Its separate penumbra now :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Yes, it's in Its separate penumbra now :D

It's a very interesting field. I'm learning a lot just reading these posts and watching the data coming from this site. Not everything is how I would expect. But a lot of cool things are going on. Thanks for this info you guys!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

A lot has to do with magnetic complexity, even though SWPC has marked is as beta-gamma-delta when looking at this region now it’s delta is almost invisible and thus very weak. So the risk of strong solar flares is not big. And you can also tell that just by looking at background x-ray flux that’s slowly getting lower indicating that activity is declining. Often a high background flux indicates many activity (most likely due to complex sunspot regions). 
but you’ll learn from experience by following the activity and input from users like me with a 2,5 solar cycle experience 😜

And now none of the ARs listed on the Sunspots page have any deltas, and 3190 is the only beta-gamma. But a M1.84 just blew and I think it was from 3190 based on the brightness I saw there on the sunspot page. And, yes, I am paying attention to what others here are writing and asking. Wow! 2.5 cycles! That's very impressive. I've been interested in astronomy since I was twelve but was never as interested in our own star as in the beautiful nebulae and clusters. Now that I'm watching old Sol it's so interesting watching the progression through the solar cycle and the very many effects that flares, CMEs and background proton flux cause. Ironically, not a single one of my friends or relatives is at all interested despite my best efforts to show them this stuff. Ha! I guess we are a niche group of people, professionals and interested amateurs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marc-pdx said:

And now none of the ARs listed on the Sunspots page have any deltas, and 3190 is the only beta-gamma. But a M1.84 just blew and I think it was from 3190 based on the brightness I saw there on the sunspot page. And, yes, I am paying attention to what others here are writing and asking. Wow! 2.5 cycles! That's very impressive. I've been interested in astronomy since I was twelve but was never as interested in our own star as in the beautiful nebulae and clusters. Now that I'm watching old Sol it's so interesting watching the progression through the solar cycle and the very many effects that flares, CMEs and background proton flux cause. Ironically, not a single one of my friends or relatives is at all interested despite my best efforts to show them this stuff. Ha! I guess we are a niche group of people, professionals and interested amateurs.

Yep, SolarSoft pins the last M-flare to 3190 as well. And yeah, 2.5 cycles is pretty impressive. I've also been relatively interested in astronomy since around senior high, but it was only a few years ago that I started to look into it a lot more, and I didn't start paying close attention to Sol and space weather until even more recently, around the time our beloved star was still sleeping soundly.

7 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Another M-flare, but also very brief.

Yeah, I woke up and saw this right away this morning. And I was happy!  ;)   I've also been quite interested in different frequency ranges in the EMR spectrum the past few years - so much behavioral variation! - and this fits in with that since the sun is putting out EMR in lots of bands... plus protons and other very interesting particles/waves. So much to learn that is so interesting! As for the two recent Ms, I'm watching to see what activity range we're seeing now - back up to what it was like last week and the week before? Or more docile like 2+ days before now, recently? This is my first SC so I'm not sure what might happen. 

On 1/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, MinYoongi said:

2ac6e058629e8b485307102555d7be6d.png

what is that hole? In the intensigram theres black, no lack of sunspot or anything. just a field with low magnetic shear? 

according to this magnetogram there should be no black in the intensigram i think?

Hi Min,

The “hole” you are referring to is just a part to that spot which has warmed up some. So, it is not as cool as the,”dark part” of the spot. It’s at a temperature between the umbra and the surface. Similar in temperature to the penumbra. It is probably being warmed by something going on underneath the spot. 

I believe it is a sign of weakening magnetic fields associated with the spot. 

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 4:22 PM, WildWill said:

The “hole” you are referring to is just a part to that spot which has warmed up some. So, it is not as cool as the,”dark part” of the spot. It’s at a temperature between the umbra and the surface. Similar in temperature to the penumbra. It is probably being warmed by something going on underneath the spot.

If this were the case, then the “hole” would show up on the intensitygram, not just the magnetogram. The magnetogram shows the strength and location of the magnetic fields.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:22 PM, WildWill said:

I believe it is a sign of weakening magnetic fields associated with the spot.

I’m not so sure about this either since it has been seen on other large sunspots with a strong magnetic field. To me, it seems like an error due to very high magnetic field strength.

Edited by Calder
Missed the word “just” which might’ve caused confusion.
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Calder said:

I’m not so sure about this either since it has been seen on other large sunspots with a strong magnetic field. To me, it seems like an error due to very high magnetic field strength.

That's what I'm leaning into. The magnetic strength is just enough to overload the sensor, but not to an extreme intent. Probably weaking as the days go by as well.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

This is the first time I've been able to see a penumbra (AR3190) so clearly through my backyard telescope.   Not bad for a 5 inch aperture reflector!  Eye see a lot of structure too! ;)

What are those white dots around the umbra?  Flares?

I know your pictures just don’t do justice compared with what you see with your eye - the detail, all kinds of fine little structures. What you are referring to could be little flares continuously kickin’ it up - C5+ background flux comes from all that stuff. There are also faculae, granules and super granules  and little prominences, plages and speculae, and then all the plasma structures you can see coming off the limb..,all the way round. I’ve caught a couple of filament eruptions the last few months. Just absolutely amazing. I posted a couple of pictures I took with my cell phone here.  

When the ‘Seeing’ is good (atmospheric turbulences and perturbations minimal), and ya get it focused just right for your eye - you can see the most amazing, incredible, beautiful stuff! 

Have you any filters other than white light? I’ve got an H-a and the Baader continuum. The H-a costs, but it is so worth it….I got the Daystar. 

A 5” refractor is plenty. You really don’t want anything bigger be a cause at 150mm you have to start dealing with a lot of heating issues. Gonna have to drop a nice chunk on an ERF before you can do anything. I have a WO GT 71, and an ES 127mm . I usually use the WO - 5 lbs… and I can do 150x nice and sharp on a good day. 

But, I ramble…. I could go on about how the filter is tunable for red or blue shift so you can catch stuff coming at you and moving away… but I need to feed my dog, 

Enjoy!

WnA

My Birthday this summer - Ca H-line filter… 

PS: Tele Vue eyepieces are definitely worth the scratch… 

I’ve got the ethos 21mm 110* - it’s like you’re falling right into the sun… but all ya really need is a few plossels and a powermate. Maybe a focal reducer. 

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WildWill said:

I know your pictures just don’t do justice compared with what you see with your eye - the detail, all kinds of fine little structures.

You're right - the direct view through the eyepiece is more detailed and more stable than what I can capture using my cell phone camera.  I'm definitely putting the A's in Amateur Astrophotography!  The filter I'm using is a $20 silver-black 8" X 8" polymer film from Thousand Oaks.  It naturally imbues the orange color.  It's an economic way to have a minimal capability to view sunspots.   Ah but where it could lead with a sophisticated configuration as you describe - very impressive!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

You're right - the direct view through the eyepiece is more detailed and more stable than what I can capture using my cell phone camera.  I'm definitely putting the A's in Amateur Astrophotography!  The filter I'm using is a $20 silver-black 8" X 8" polymer film from Thousand Oaks.  It naturally imbues the orange color.  It's an economic way to have a minimal capability to view sunspots.   Ah but where it could lead with a sophisticated configuration as you describe - very impressive!

My setup is not all that impressive at all. I started with I piece of n d 5.0 film that I cut a round piece out of it and put it between two "rings" I cut out of cardstock...  

The DayStar was a big expensive, but really worth it. 

it looks to be a beautiful, sunny day! Just put my gear out to acclimate - I'll be glued to the eyepiece in an hour! 

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WildWill said:

it looks to be a beautiful, sunny day! Just put my gear out to acclimate - I'll be glued to the eyepiece in an hour! 

My entire forecast doesn’t have a single time that’s even just partly cloudy… nope, full clouds as far as we can see. 
Very annoying, I want to make my first forays into stacked astrophotography, but I need clear skies to be able to do anything 

37 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

My entire forecast doesn’t have a single time that’s even just partly cloudy… nope, full clouds as far as we can see. 
Very annoying, I want to make my first forays into stacked astrophotography, but I need clear skies to be able to do anything 

Clean all your optics, apply lubricants as appropriate....  calculate out all the parameters for your set up. Things like magnifications, eye relief, focal lengths and all the other stuff that's gonna help you get the most out of your gear...

"seeing" is awesome here today. You'll get yours and even nicer as I am at 93'  ASL. 

21 hours ago, Calder said:

If this were the case, then the “hole” would show up on the intensitygram, not the magnetogram. The magnetogram shows the strength and location of the magnetic fields.

Show up on what? On what intensity gram do you refer? Do you mean the HMI Magnetogram (B &W). If that’s the case, then I believe you are mistaken. The image we see from that instrument isn’t actually grayscale, but black and white. Each pixel is either on or off. There is still polarized plasma in the “hole” as you call it. So, no you wouldn’t see a “hole” there. It would not change that image at all. In looking at this - I really don’t see anything that couple overload the sensor. Do you? 818D9102-6E9C-465A-9FD1-96F236E8D990.thumb.jpeg.61357c9fe0fc328f3d7690c452edb645.jpeg

While I do see some sheer and twisting of the magnetic field lines, a little twisting up, I would not draw any conclusions about an overloaded sensor.

In addition, the colorized image would not be as “clean” as it is if the sensor paws overloaded. In other words - that piece of the spot wouldn’t appear as the same color as the penumbra if the sensor was overloaded. Right now, in the telescope, using a standard issue mk 1 mod 0 eyeball at around 80x, the spot resolves into three spots, all very close together. 

I do not believe an overloaded sensor would result in the image we saw. And as you can see above, 13190 is far from the most magnetically active region. 

Also, you can compare images from SOHO and SDO and see that they both must be overloaded by the little field associated with this spot. You can pose a question to SDO, I’m pretty sure they would respond to something like “sensor overload”…

Cheers.

WnA

Gotta go Gotta go! Great seeing today, even though it’s windy at lower altitudes. 
I sure does look impressive and beautiful today…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cool 1