AR 13182, X1 flare!

Isatsuki San

• Isatsuki San changed the title to SUNSPOT 3182, !X FLARE!
1 hour ago, yungacox said:

oh my god what does this mean? are we going to be okay? 

100%. It’s not even aimed at earth. And even it was, we’d be be completely fine. 
For context, we’ve had many X flares just this solar cycle so far. 
Back in 2003, we took an X45, and had no trouble. They’re not dangerous. 

1 hour ago, IlikeAuroras said:

Looks like our first major flare of 2023 is an X-flare

What a great start to 2023!

Awesome!

• Like 1

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR 13182, X1 flare!

Yes indeed, no biggie for us earth dwellers.  Respectfully speaking, the only downside for this geezer is that I just missed seeing it live!!   And little if any associated cme.  At least we have about 13 or so days now to speculate on its future while it sits there like “ the singing frog” cartoon and refuses to perform. 🙄

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No delta as far as I can see. Lots of faculae when it turned into view so that’s a sign it decayed after it’s big blow.

But it had no deltas yesterday afaik when it blew the X. Or do you mean the one before that?

38 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No delta as far as I can see. Lots of faculae when it turned into view so that’s a sign it decayed after it’s big blow.

Agreed, but it looks like it may have potential to develop a delta in marked region.

AR3182_15-30_6thJan2023.jpg.47511680b8161136d697a4ddacebd1ea.jpg

28 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looks like this would be dead regions 3162 and 3166, continuing region 3163, and new growth from the past rotation.

Yes, it is in that general area and AR3163 was the only one to produce much activity on last rotation. At this stage it is not clear that it has grown much in terms of area since last rotation.