Strong G3 geomagnetic storm watch for 31 March

36 minutes ago, Pleiiades said:

Hopefully I'm allowed to post this? Unfortunately the camera is out of focus, but it's still pretty fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcQk4aLgRI&ab_channel=NorthDakotaDualAuroraCameras

That’s amazing! Super jealous!

45 minutes ago, Pleiiades said:

Are the speed, density and IMF expected to keep going up? I was seeing some estimated of 700km/s, but not sure if that's changed in the last few hours. 

It’s possible, this CME only reached 500km/s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the second CME arrive at some point. 

6 minutes ago, Orneno said:

That’s amazing! Super jealous!

It’s possible, this CME only reached 500km/s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the second CME arrive at some point. 

So can we assume that the second CME didn't overtake and merge with the first one? Just slightly lagging behind?

3 minutes ago, Laney said:

I didn't realize the clouds cleared on that one, that's incredible!

3 minutes ago, Pleiiades said:

So can we assume that the second CME didn't overtake and merge with the first one? Just slightly lagging behind?

It's not for sure, they might have already merged and just be weaker than expected.  However, it's also possible one is not here yet.

I am pretty sure you won't know this pretty little tool. It's been developed by a German Scientist so as to be able to forecast Aurora for our region. But it works for you too. It's based on the usual DSCOVR Data and also measures real time activity and calculates the chances for lower latitudes. It's forcasting acitvity picking up again. 

Polarlichtvorhersage in Echtzeit (mtwetter.de)

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Aaaaand a good morning from germany... :) in old manner i overslept the impact.

What is ya'lls impression/opinion so far? My take as of Data rn: a bit slower than i expected but im not calling it a dud :) also very dense 

Good morning! Thanks for joining :) data looks decent so far. Canada and far northern U.S are getting a great show right now. Would like to see things pick up even more soon. Need more south Bz.

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Aaaaand a good morning from germany... :) in old manner i overslept the impact.

What is ya'lls impression/opinion so far? My take as of Data rn: a bit slower than i expected but im not calling it a dud :) also very dense 

Same, I expected more, but this is very good.  Check out this webcam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcQk4aLgRI

I'm wondering if this is all we get, or the second CME is still coming... I expected higher wind speed.

16 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Same, I expected more, but this is very good.  Check out this webcam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcQk4aLgRI

I'm wondering if this is all we get, or the second CME is still coming... I expected higher wind speed.

Do you think a G3 is ruled out with current data? Rn its not even G1 anymore according to Noaa.

From New-Brunswick,Canada.                          There are lucky people tonight to be able to see boreal i would love to see it too its 2:20 am over here can't sleep ...is There someone Who could tell me if i Will be able to see the boreal light over here🤔🤗  precisely in Bathurst or Near.                         

P.s sorry for my english i am french i did not want to use a translator simply just to learn better

Edited by Chantal Meunier

They merged into one I'd say, the second CME was just faster. The IMF is so erratic, could be because its a glancing blow or a from the two CMEs being fused together but my money is on the latter.

20 minuten geleden, Pär Andersson zei:

New to this forum, what with the protons rising...🤔

Welcome! These protons come from the X1 solar flare. Protons have mass and take a little while to join the party.

1 uur terug, Brown zei:

Good Morning, I wish Canadian aurora hunters the best, after we perfectly missed everything here in Finland 

Welcome! We might still be lucky tonight or when the X1 CME arrives!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chantal Meunier said:

From New-Brunswick,Canada.                          There are lucky propose tonight to be able to see boreal i would love to see it too its 2:20 am over here can't sleep ...is There someone Who could tell me if i Will be able to see the boreal light over here🤔🤗  precisely un Bathurst or Near.                         

P.s sorry for my english i am french i did not want to use a translator simply just to learn better

Probably not. Clouds have moved across NB and will persist into the rest of the night. I also live in NB (Saint John area) and was hoping to see something before the clouds came in. You might have another chance when the CME from the X1 flare arrives.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cat Perkinton said:

I gave in at 1am (BST) with that Northward Bz looking planted.... so wishing I could have stayed awake for the 4am blast that looked fab on the Shetland webcams...

aScreenshot - 2022-03-31T104848.227.jpg

Maybe youll be lucky when the X1 cme arrives