Strong G3 geomagnetic storm watch for 31 March

10 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It’s going north, oof

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time on the forums!

I envy those clear skies as well… 😭

Thank you! This is a nailbiter 😉 Has been all day!

1 minute ago, Laney said:

Thank you! This is a nailbiter 😉 Has been all day!

Not for me, I just gave up because of weather. It’s much more relaxing, you should try it. (Kidding 😜)
But legit, I’d rather be frayed of nerves and clear skies than peacefully ambivalent in the rain 😂

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

This is the arrival of the first CME. There are many possibilities, but one is the second CME wasn't able to fully overtake the first and could be just a few hours behind. The solar wind velocities would have another sharp spike to around 600-650km/s and IMF impulse if it does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Not for me, I just gave up because of weather. It’s much more relaxing, you should try it. (Kidding 😜)
But legit, I’d rather be frayed of nerves and clear skies than peacefully ambivalent in the rain 😂

We couldn't give up on the weather because that was a nailbiter here, too. Models weren't clear, in the end it turned for the worst. Raining now. Also, it's not in my nature to give up 😄

4 minutes ago, Archmonoth said:

Welcome! 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Pleiiades said:

I don't expect to see anything given how far south I am, but this is exciting nonetheless!

Also, pleasure to meet you all! I've been lurking since November's storm, but finally made an account today.

How far south are you?

And welcome (to posting that is)!

Regarding the merging or overtaking of the first CME by the second CME, Dr. Tamitha Skov says they don't really merge but instead they "come in close proximity and compress one another."

A physical analogy for something like this - the closest thing I can think of is two air bubbles in liquid hitting each other.  There is compression and distortion of shape of both bubbles, and a transfer of momentum between the two, while surface tension keeps them distinct.

Edited by Drax Spacex

Just now, Pleiiades said:

I'm at 40°N in Utah. I wouldn't really expect to see anything here at less than a G4 really.

Thank you! Happy to be here!

If you have a DSLR camera, a long-exposure photograph can show the glow from Aurora significantly south of where it can be seen with the eye, or is expected to show up. 

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

If you have a DSLR camera, a long-exposure photograph can show the glow from Aurora significantly south of where it can be seen with the eye, or is expected to show up. 

How close to the horizon would it be? I figured maybe a camera could pick them up, but my northern horizon is blocked up to 10ish degrees up.

1 minute ago, Pleiiades said:

How close to the horizon would it be? I figured maybe a camera could pick them up, but my northern horizon is blocked up to 10ish degrees up.

That’s probably too high. You’d also need an area with extremely minimal light pollution, especially to the north, and zero clouds. 

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

That’s probably too high. You’d also need an area with extremely minimal light pollution, especially to the north, and zero clouds. 

Yeah that's what I figured. Oh well, I'll watch livestreams in the meantime and maybe I'll be able to catch the next storm. It's been great picking up all this information at least!

• Like 1

I'm at 37 degrees, difference is I'm south haha and I'm hoping for a good light show on my camera. It sits right on the horizon here but it's rare. I have to go to a hill near my house and I gett a little pollution from a nearby town but Its still worth it in my eyes! (Well not literally but my cameras eye 😅

Personally, I'm sitting here cursing the broad daylight haha love/hate relationship with the sun right now! Plan is, sleep for the arvo and become nocturnal for the next few nights 🤪 good luck folks! My time is yet to come 🙏

14 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Well that just sucks. It’s cloudy here but then again it may not be see where I am so whatever. 

Enjoying the chaotic Utah weather? it’s crazy weather sometimes 😂 

Oh it absolutely is! Yesterday alone it was sunny, then rained, then hailed, then was sunny again in the span of 2 hours. 😆

Edited by Pleiiades

9 minutes ago, Pleiiades said:

Yesterday alone it was sunny, then rained, then hailed, then was sunny again in the span of 2 hours. 😆

Lmao. I heard thunder non stop yesterday up on the mountains. Then 3pm rolls around and the thunderstorm comes over me with rain, hail, thunder and some wind. 😂 crazy weather

4 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Lmao. I heard thunder non stop yesterday up on the mountains. Then 3pm rolls around and the thunderstorm comes over me with rain, hail, thunder and some wind. 😂 crazy weather

Yeah it hit me a little after that it seems. You manage to get a rainbow there?

Looks like North Dakota is getting an amazing show right now! Are the speed, density and IMF expected to keep going up? I was seeing some estimated of 700km/s, but not sure if that's changed in the last few hours. 

Edited by Pleiiades