CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Growth of Cycle 25

3gMike
Message added by Sam Warfel,

This thread may only be used to post updates on the growth of solar cycle 25 and discussions of its past and current stats.
Any and all discussion of unproven methods of predicting solar cycles, SC25 or others, must take place in the Unproven Theories thread as per the rules.
Thank you.

It is sustained high-level activity that us hams really wanna see.  According to Newbie the TCI hasn’t budged. But I think it lags a bit, ( remembers shock at seeing it lead without checking A index first for sept 1957!).  Haha. 

8 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Heh, they measured the flux during the flare I see. I guess this is one of the moments where you could possibly make a case for Jan's personal adjustments for flares, but in the long run even events like that should even out. After all, trying to somehow exclude that flare in terms of the effect of the flux on the atmosphere would be even more wrong in many ways.

• Like 2

6 minuten geleden, Carrington45X zei:

How far down in the United States could the resulting Auroras (if any) of this X2.8 flare go? 

Welcome. This isn't really the correct topic for your question just so you know for the future but I will answer your question anyway. G1 to at most G2 storm conditions are expected so the northern most United States during local night time. https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/the-kp-index.html

Just now, Marcel de Bont said:

Welcome. This isn't really the correct topic for your question just so you know for the future but I will answer your question anyway. G1 to at most G2 storm conditions are expected so the northern most United States during local night time.

Oh ok. Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the info! Will try to stay on topic in the future.

29 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Man, I need to get online more xd

I also missed it and when i checked, it already was over lol

2 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

Sun: Here you go, an X2.8

What I find interesting is how active the Sun actually has been this year. It's far from a quiet solar cycle.

Screenshot_20231215_141621_Brave.jpg

Look at all of these M-class flares

Screenshot_20231215_141632_Brave.jpg

Well i guess Patrick cant argue with clear measured data can he? Well, good to see the Flare-Numbers climbing i guess. But as always: Time will tell us for sure

((((Maybe as a Christmas Wish: a X10 Flare? Sun, can u du that??)))) 

Last time i wanted an X flare i now got one, sooo maayyybe it works again

Yk xD

Edited by Solar_Marcel
Typoo
  • Cool 1

Back to the growth of cycle 25 after yesterday’s excitement.  I have been thinking a lot about sunspot latitudes butterfly diagrams and cycle evolution over the past couple of days.  Earlier this month I was fortunate on Dec 1 to have a large sample size of 11 I think it was and it came out to roughly a fifteen degree latitude average. So I took last July 7 which I think was the present sunspot high and it came out to 20 degrees roughly.  Also with a nice sample size of eleven ARs.  What I am unsure of at present is whether the second peak latitudes are within the typical 9-11 degree range.  I’m pretty sure there are others that study this subject at a far deeper level than just us radio amateurs.   I intend to continue doing this until we have definitely passed the peak for this cycle regardless, at about 27 day intervals.  Should be interesting to see what plays out.  Edit:   I decided in the interest of fairness to all to pull the archive for last January 15 which was the day we hit 234 officially solar radio flux at 10.7 cm. We had ten ARs on the board at the time, again a nice sample size.  Northern latitudes were avg 19.25 And Southern were avg 16.3  giving 17.75 average   Of note this was a particularly active period last year with multiple M flares and C flares contributing to the baseline flux   

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update.
  • Like 3

Yes.  True @Philalethesthere are typically outliers etc Anti-Hale etc. To cause some random errors.  We are also in agreement that removing high level flares from any study causes problems only when looking at the cycle as a whole.  It all washes out, so to speak. Either way, it probably makes little difference.  Predicting the time of Solar Max even when this close just isn’t that easy for a casual observer as myself.   This method seemed to me to offer the best chance of getting closest.  What do y’all think?   Later, Mike/Hagrid  

4 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, from where spots are appearing in general it seems like the average latitude is definitely still some ways from maximum. Current region 3527 is a bit interesting though, as it's so close to the equator, but I guess there will be such outliers when the cycle is approaching maximum.

Incidentally, I’ve yet to hear back from Phil @KW2P. I hope he is ok.   He is a busy guy and right now likely busy with other things more concerning than spanning our continent on 50 mhz during high solar flux. Haha. Later.   Btw. I was off a few days this July and am aware of it.  However it was the overall latitudes I was concerned with anyway and decided to let things be.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
CQ contest. Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, from where spots are appearing in general it seems like the average latitude is definitely still some ways from maximum. Current region 3527 is a bit interesting though, as it's so close to the equator, but I guess there will be such outliers when the cycle is approaching maximum.

I completely agree. Although we have had some AR's with lower latitudes it does seem like the average are above the 10'th latitude as of now. Like you suspect it is common for AR's to emerge close to the equator during the rise to solar maximum even if the maximum is months away. It's the average that is important, and especially when looking back and studying the cycle in the future.

It's for sure interesting that we have more and more AR's that emerge so close to the equator. I think the rush to the poles is less than a year away at least.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

The Sun has been able to dip below C level X-ray flux now at B9.8

we are now probably getting into a small minimum after a rise in beginning-middle of Dec. it should last until beginning-middle of January, if no eventually grown noticeable sunspots will appear. 

• Like 1

True

26 minutes ago, tniickck said:

zero connections, actually) just a nice coincidence

I slept through this X unfortunately funny that just as @Drax Spacex

began wondering where the X classes were, the sun finally relents and gives us a decent one even if not earth directed. Haha. 

On 12/13/2023 at 12:45 AM, Jesterface23 said:

On the flip side of sunspot regions, I wonder what 'filament cycles' are like month by month compared to the sunspot numbers

The number of filaments, their pathlengths, and sinuosity could be quantified with image processing algorithms to yield filament metrics and compare them to sunspot numbers.  Increasing filament length and sinuosity (twistiness) seems to occur as the sun's magnetic field becomes more chaotic approaching solar maximim.

• Like 3

That’s a very logical supposition @Drax Spacex  Cool. 

5 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

The number of filaments, their pathlengths, and sinuosity could be quantified with image processing algorithms to yield filament metrics and compare them to sunspot numbers.  Increasing filament length and sinuosity (twistiness) seems to occur as the sun's magnetic field becomes more chaotic approaching solar maximim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We should probably close out this thread now that SC25 has concluded its growth and is now in decline according to Patrick. Even Jan agrees with him. Also we have had 2 straight days of solar activity below C-flare threshold which must be proof that Patrick's equations are correct.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jay-B said:

We should probably close out this thread now that SC25 has concluded its growth and is now in decline according to Patrick. Even Jan agrees with him. Also we have had 2 straight days of solar activity below C-flare threshold which must be proof that Patrick's equations are correct.

Can't tell if serious or memeing

• Haha 1