Growth of Cycle 25

3gMike
Message added by Sam Warfel,

This thread may only be used to post updates on the growth of solar cycle 25 and discussions of its past and current stats.
Any and all discussion of unproven methods of predicting solar cycles, SC25 or others, must take place in the Unproven Theories thread as per the rules.
Thank you.

18 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Just thought I'd share this cool animation of flares so far this cycle that I saw on X:

Thank you for sharing, that is very enjoyable to watch.  You can really see the latitudes shifting lower!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tniickck said:

how did you even come to this conclusion😁😁😁

Today's current estimate of the SN is 41, so that means we're very close to minimum; because as you know, all that matters is today, context is irrelevant!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

Lots off X-flare activity... If you look at the 4 previous cycles... This happens after the maximum!

Woo. If we are getting all of these X-Class flare now, the next year and a half will be chaotically great.

I would most certainly agree @Jesterface23  Especially because I only learned yesterday from @3gMike that Jan was correct in his assessment that the southern region had indeed “ flipped” as it is commonly said when a pole changes polarity ( I have truly lost count at this point!) as to how many times the north  has done this at four.  The Northern pole has yet to complete the reversal that will actually signify Solar Maximum.  Meaning of course that @Jesterface23 is absolutely correct.  All that remains at this point it seems to me is how high will it go and for how long a duration?  Presently, it appears very good. Our last flux dip wasn’t even below 150 sfu!! Excellent. And even with only a couple of spots visible we are still pushing 180 sfi.  Heading soon for 200 plus it seems to me.  All solar cycles wax and wane, Jan Alvestad has a great set of historical triple charts which I enjoy reviewing at Solen. It’s a shame he hasn’t run those charts back a bit further but the last five give us a very good idea of what we can expect from any given cycle these days indeed. And although imo this isn’t any cycle 19 it sure isn’t any cycle 24 either! Us radio amateurs especially the younger folk among us were pleasantly surprised at 10 meters this year!  More fun after solar maximum finally peaks between May 2024 and December 2024. Perhaps a bit later, depending on unknown factors.  Sounds good to me. And then at least two more years on the downslope as can be seen in any of Jans charts simply by checking the A index blue mountains. Haha. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Error. In flipping of poles.
  • Like 1

The June 2023 value is still the peak, but it's more like a local upward wiggle.  The values of last 6 months of the 13-month smoothed sunspot number have ranged from 121.1 to 125.2, the most recent value being 124.0.

Edited by Drax Spacex
most recent
  • Like 1

16 uren geleden, Jesterface23 zei:

If the next two months hit a monthly smoothed number of 119.8, October 2023 would become a new maximum for the cycle.

Probably won't happen, but if March get a number of 138, then September 2023 will be the new maximum for the cycle.

image.png.3888a48459ea1a5abb417d2e04dfdad1.png

Hinode will watch the southern polar field next week. If it measures a flip, it will be the deathblow for the maximum enthusiasts🤔📡😉😱

33 minuten geleden, Patrick P.A. Geryl zei:

Hinode will watch the southern polar field next week. If it measures a flip, it will be the deathblow for the maximum enthusiasts🤔📡😉😱

https://x.com/halocme/status/1763794249706057824?s=20

Edited by Patrick P.A. Geryl

2 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

2 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

https://x.com/halocme/status/1763794249706057824?s=20

Well, we would both be enthusiasts, so I'm not sure how that works.

Given you are taking the word of Halo CME, they said "Solar maximum is approaching". Not that it has passed.

We still have well over a year to see how things play out.

• Like 2

Just another question to understand this all. I read all information I found to make my own conclusions about the solar max.

When I take a look to the butterfly diagrams it's pretty clear that we have not reached the maximum yet, that's what the diagrams are saying. 

But where is the uncertainty coming from? The butterfly diagram was always reliable. Why not in this cycle? 

Edit: 

And why are the sunspot numbers of the cycle take so long to get official? Why is it not monthly updated? 

Edited by Ingolf
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Just another question to understand this all. I read all information I found to make my own conclusions about the solar max.

When I take a look to the butterfly diagrams it's pretty clear that we have not reached the maximum yet, that's what the diagrams are saying. 

But where is the uncertainty coming from? The butterfly diagram was always reliable. Why not in this cycle? 

Edit: 

And why are the sunspot numbers of the cycle take so long to get official? Why is it not monthly updated? 

Certainty from past information is a measurement of frequency. Certainty from understanding the underlining mechanics reveals more about the system the Sun is a part of. (Some certainty, not absolute)

You aren't wrong, but only looking at the pattern is a dead end, especially when we want to know how the pattern is formed. Internal dynamics? Some larger system reaction? So, we model what we think and make predictions, if we are incorrect, the reason seems worth exploring to make a more accurate model, other than a pattern. 

My guess on this cycle is that it will have a similar SSN and activity to SC 23 because of where the Sun's radius is in relation to the barycenter of the solar system. I think the conservation of momentum needs to work more when the barycenter is outside the Sun's radius. The momentum of turning around the barycenter is expressed/worked through plasma turbulence, with about a 2-year lag. There is a tested 2-year lag between changes in angular momentum in the solar system. Anyways this is only my guess on it, and there is a thread on it here in this forum, if you want the link. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archmonoth said:

Certainty from past information is a measurement of frequency. Certainty from understanding the underlining mechanics reveals more about the system the Sun is a part of. (Some certainty, not absolute)

You aren't wrong, but only looking at the pattern is a dead end, especially when we want to know how the pattern is formed. Internal dynamics? Some larger system reaction? So, we model what we think and make predictions, if we are incorrect, the reason seems worth exploring to make a more accurate model, other than a pattern. 

My guess on this cycle is that it will have a similar SSN and activity to SC 23 because of where the Sun's radius is in relation to the barycenter of the solar system. I think the conservation of momentum needs to work more when the barycenter is outside the Sun's radius. The momentum of turning around the barycenter is expressed/worked through plasma turbulence, with about a 2-year lag. There is a tested 2-year lag between changes in angular momentum in the solar system. Anyways this is only my guess on it, and there is a thread on it here in this forum, if you want the link. 

Yes I would like to read about it, in which thread is it? Thanks a lot 🙋‍♂️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ingolf said:

Monthly mean sunspot numbers are available at the end of each month.  They are used to calculate the (13-month) smoothed monthly mean sunspot number.  The smoothed monthly mean sunspot number is used for finding the solar cycle min and max.  The smoothed monthly mean sunspot number for a given month requires 6 months of monthly mean sunspot numbers before and after.

https://www.sidc.be/SILSO/faq6

Edited by Drax Spacex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awhile back perhaps in another thread, I don’t recall right now, but I think it was @Philalethes who was discussing where we were with the most recent polar field data.  It might have been  @3gMike too.   Since we are entering a lull in activity for the present time, I was curious if anyone has been looking into these figures recently.  Tnx. Mike. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Awhile back perhaps in another thread, I don’t recall right now, but I think it was @Philalethes who was discussing where we were with the most recent polar field data.  It might have been  @3gMike too.   Since we are entering a lull in activity for the present time, I was curious if anyone has been looking into these figures recently.  Tnx. Mike. 

WSO have been having some problems recently, so there is some missing data, but this plot gives an idea of how things are progressing.

Polarfields_feb_2024.thumb.jpg.08abcf02c0301f81d17f91a190e9ffa5.jpg

Based on filtered values, which remove geometric variations, the southern field has clearly reversed and is heading positive at a fairly steady rate. Meanwhile the northern field is dithering around close to zero and has still to make final reversal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 3gMike said:

WSO have been having some problems recently, so there is some missing data, but this plot gives an idea of how things are progressing.

Polarfields_feb_2024.thumb.jpg.08abcf02c0301f81d17f91a190e9ffa5.jpg

Based on filtered values, which remove geometric variations, the southern field has clearly reversed and is heading positive at a fairly steady rate. Meanwhile the northern field is dithering around close to zero and has still to make final reversal.

Thanks @3gMike  That’s definitely good news as far as the future evolution of this cycle goes.  Appreciate you posting this!   Mike. 

• Like 1