Growth of Cycle 25

3gMike
Message added by Sam Warfel,

This thread may only be used to post updates on the growth of solar cycle 25 and discussions of its past and current stats.
Any and all discussion of unproven methods of predicting solar cycles, SC25 or others, must take place in the Unproven Theories thread as per the rules.
Thank you.

9 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

The SC25 solar max may already be in the past as the 365-day smoothed solar flux peaked on June 27, 2023. Should solar activity in March and April 2024 be relatively high that peak could move to November 2023.

Mathematically, November 2023 is final possibility of a new solar maximum candidate in the coming months. That is what he is talking about. It isn't a full override of Jan's comment "It is still likely that solar max will be sometime between October 2023 and March 2025.".

We just need to wait and see how things play out in the coming years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Mathematically, November 2023 is final possibility of a new solar maximum candidate in the coming months. That is what he is talking about. It isn't a full override of Jan's comment "It is still likely that solar max will be sometime between October 2023 and March 2025.".

We just need to wait and see how things play out in the coming years.

Amen. 

36 minutes ago, Kayla Bisson said:

What do we win when we guess right? I'm going big Feb 2025 or bust

Infamy!   Haha Btw I caused a lot of trouble a few years back.  We probably shouldn’t even consider going there again @Kayla Bisson Edit:   When we see all of the active regions hugging ( giving our solar equator the love it deserves)  It is pretty safe to say we are very near solar maximum.   Edit again. Solar Maximum is only determined in retrospect.  This awareness is very important as @Jesterface23 pointed out numerous times here.   A very important consideration when trying to make declarations. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Giving our active regions love
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jan’s latest

Update on the progress of solar cycle 25 as of March 10, 2024

Solar activity saw a significant decrease during the latter half of February and the first part of March. While there is still a chance that there could be another and higher peak in October or November 2023, chances that June 2023 was solar max has increased. After November 2023 there is currently no other obvious candidate solar max month. Taking into account the state of the solar polar fields another major peak during SC25 is becoming less likely.

Yep, so far this month isn't doing too well on sunspot numbers. There is no way around it, we likely would see a sunspot number decline before a second peak. The exact strength of the second peak to come in the next year or two, no one knows.

• Like 3

Well. Perhaps true,   Gentlemen.  I was thinking the same thing tbh.  Especially as we had a low-latitude group on our side during an episode of high activity in January again.   However,  I believe this is an important consideration, this was followed by a series of much higher latitude Active Regions.  We all will just have to wait and see what our sun is really up to down the road.   I will certainly concede, it doesn’t look particularly good right now but this summer is likely to provide a surprise.   Only time will tell for certain.  Mike   
Historically speaking these “ pauses” in activity and worry in the amateur radio community are not unusual btw.   We learned long ago that it is typical of the sun to frustrate nearly every attempt to figure out what it was up to.  One more thing on an entirely non-scientific basis:  I feel it owes the USA a series of geomagnetic storms if not 200 plus SFI.  I think we all can agree on this fact alone, well maybe not all of us, but the majority reading this I am fairly sure 😆

Edited by hamateur 1953
Humour and spelling.

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

For your arguments that the maximum is still coming... My 5 indicators say it has happened. Sorry...

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/377064732_Calculating_the_Strength_of_Solar_Cycle_25_Using_365-day_Smoothing

Patrick, Your document makes reference to predictions based on measurements at 120, 184, 240 days after minimum, then after 550 days, but it gives no indication of how these measurements relate to your assertion that you can then predict maximum amplitude and place it at a given date. The tables you present relating to factor between smoothed 10.7cm flux and SSN only allow you to make a hindcast in November. You seem to assume that this is maximum just because the factor is close to that observed for maximum in Cycle 24. Have you checked it for other cycles? Looking at a comparison of cycles 23, 24 and 25 to date it seems reasonable to assume that we may see a dip for the next few months, followed by a second peak.

solar-cycle-comparison.jpg.07ce980b1b5d12901014f0bb54d7a197.jpg

What makes you so certain that we have already passed maximum ?

Edited by 3gMike
Added detail re 10.7cm / SSN factor.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Patrick, Your document makes reference to predictions based on measurements at 120, 184, 240 days after minimum, then after 550 days, but it gives no indication of how these measurements relate to your assertion that you can then predict maximum amplitude and place it at a given date. The tables you present relating to factor between smoothed 10.7cm flux and SSN only allow you to make a hindcast in November. You seem to assume that this is maximum just because the factor is close to that observed for maximum in Cycle 24. Have you checked it for other cycles? Looking at a comparison of cycles 23, 24 and 25 to date it seems reasonable to assume that we may see a dip for the next few months, followed by a second peak.

I will only add here because I track 10.7 very closely that last November 2023 showed a surprising disparity in sunspots for the amount of delivered solar flux. 
And high latitude groups at that. Just my two centavos.   Mike. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
10.7 addendum
  • Like 1

20 uren geleden, 3gMike zei:

For the newcomers:

1. I found the complete sunspot theory: it originates in the polar fields:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329023855_A_New_Mathematical_and_Physical_Principle_to_Combine_Gravitation_with_Rotating_Oscillating_Magnetic_Fields_A_unifying_algorithm_that_solves_the_Sun's_differential_rotation_problem

2. The 10.7 solar flux and the sunspots are created by the polar fields:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348686960_Polar_Field_Strength_107_cm_Solar_Radio_Flux

3. The only SSN that matters is the high resolution 2KSSN. From 1 and 2 we can conclude that if the factor is reached 10.7/2KSSN, solar maximum has been reached

4. I have new findings. It is possible to calculate the month from the maximum 1 year after the start with an accuracy of 2 months for all the cycles since 1947.

5. Here you can see I knew it in early August. Post on twitter:

Will the Daily Solar Flux reach a value of 250? Its possible but not likely. What is possible is the Average Solar Flux Values could plateau in the 175 to 185 while the Daily Flux numbers bounce around for a number of months

9K298_Ij_normal.jpg

Found a theory… in peer review… that says July 2023 is the maximum. Got the start of cycle 25 right…A formula for the start of a new sunspot cycle | SpringerLink

Content cover image
Edited by Patrick P.A. Geryl

1 hour ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

For the newcomers:

1. I found the complete sunspot theory: it originates in the polar fields:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329023855_A_New_Mathematical_and_Physical_Principle_to_Combine_Gravitation_with_Rotating_Oscillating_Magnetic_Fields_A_unifying_algorithm_that_solves_the_Sun's_differential_rotation_problem

2. The 10.7 solar flux and the sunspots are created by the polar fields:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348686960_Polar_Field_Strength_107_cm_Solar_Radio_Flux

3. The only SSN that matters is the high resolution 2KSSN. From 1 and 2 we can conclude that if the factor is reached 10.7/2KSSN, solar maximum has been reached

4. I have new findings. It is possible to calculate the month from the maximum 1 year after the start with an accuracy of 2 months for all the cycles since 1947.

5. Here you can see I knew it in early August. Post on twitter:

Will the Daily Solar Flux reach a value of 250? Its possible but not likely. What is possible is the Average Solar Flux Values could plateau in the 175 to 185 while the Daily Flux numbers bounce around for a number of months

9K298_Ij_normal.jpg

Found a theory… in peer review… that says July 2023 is the maximum. Got the start of cycle 25 right…A formula for the start of a new sunspot cycle | SpringerLink

Content cover image

Patrick, I think this type of discussion needs to take place in the Unproven Theories thread. I will start a new topic there.

• Thanks 2

“ value peaks” is an intriguing term.  I kinda like it to be honest.  It will likely drive many astrophysicists nuts if we come up with a new term in “Elons” or something like that though.  The last CME was rated by SWPC as rating thirty eight Elons in SC 25.  😆. Later. Mike.  

I doubt that SFI will peak 250 too.  Would us hams be happy if it did? Unequivocally, but history says otherwise.     I was hoping someone would get that inside joke!! Haha. Obviously @Sam Warfel did.  Last year I think 38 starlink satellites fell prey to atmospheric friction caused by yes solar heating. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Removed sarcasm.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

We can start again the discussion (I already won off course)🤣..

Anyway... SSN March =104.9

Place your bets when the new maximum will appear🤣😂🙃

nuh uh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ham’ster I don’t think it was the wrong area. I think you said something you thought better of later. It’s OK we’re all human, well except for Pat.

Pat, I just want you to know that I’m still rooting for you if you’re right. If you’re wrong, not so much. Guess we’ll find out in a year or so.

33 minutes ago, Lawn Boy said:

Ham’ster I don’t think it was the wrong area. I think you said something you thought better of later. It’s OK we’re all human, well except for Pat.

Pat, I just want you to know that I’m still rooting for you if you’re right. If you’re wrong, not so much. Guess we’ll find out in a year or so.

@Lawn Boy you are absolutely correct.  I am too spontaneous sometimes.  Mike.   Btw I don’t object to the Hamster moniker. Kinda cute 

Edited by hamateur 1953

Op 7/3/2024 om 09:43, Newbie zei:

Dear Paddy 😊

The statement about already passing the solar maximum is based on the observation that the 365-day smoothed solar flux peaked on June 27, 2023, and the suggestion that if solar activity in March and April 2024 is relatively high, the peak could move to November 2023. 
Now should solar activity increase in June and July of this year (2024) where does that leave the new peak?

Are you saying both polar fields have flipped permanently? Really?

Interpreting solar cycle maxima involves various indicators, and smoothed solar flux is one of them.
While the smoothed solar flux is a valuable metric, considering sunspot observations is equally crucial in solar cycle assessments. Sunspots directly reflect the Sun's magnetic activity and their characteristics contribute significantly to determining the solar cycle’s progression. It is therefore best practice to consider multiple factors when determining the solar cycle's maximum. Solar activity can be complex and dynamic, and conclusions about solar maxima are typically made retrospectively with a comprehensive analysis of various solar parameters.

If the statement is based on a single metric, it's essential to approach such predictions with caution and await a more thorough analysis of solar activity trends over time. Scientists often use a combination of indicators, including sunspot numbers, solar irradiance, and magnetic field data, to provide a comprehensive assessment of solar cycle characteristics. You already know all this Paddy at least you are talking in maybes now and not definitives.

N.

Milady,

I employ various factors to determine solar maximum. Previously, organizations such as NASA and SWPC were inaccurate in their predictions for solar minimum. However, my calculations have proven to be correct, and I utilize the same theory to estimate solar maximum.

Furthermore, I rely on the sunspot theory that I have developed, which indicates that solar maximum has already passed. I was able to predict last year in January that that would be when the average polar field flips... and that was in May 2023! 1 month wrong...

In summary, I made the prediction for solar maximum back in January of last year. Unfortunately, the moderators removed my forecast for sunspots as it was deemed an extraordinary prediction.

At that time the prediction for the strength was wrong because I used a wrong number in my calculations. That fault was later corrected during peer review. The end result of the calculations you already know...

Edited by Patrick P.A. Geryl
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

Milady,

I employ various factors to determine solar maximum. Previously, organizations such as NASA and SWPC were inaccurate in their predictions for solar minimum. However, my calculations have proven to be correct, and I utilize the same theory to estimate solar maximum.

Furthermore, I rely on the sunspot theory that I have developed, which indicates that solar maximum has already passed. I was able to predict last year in January that that would be when the average polar field flips... and that was in May 2023! 1 month wrong...

In summary, I made the prediction for solar maximum back in January of last year. Unfortunately, the moderators removed my forecast for sunspots as it was deemed an extraordinary prediction.

At that time the prediction for the strength was wrong because I used a wrong number in my calculations. That fault was later corrected during peer review. The end result of the calculations you already know...

Dear Patrick, Sir, scientific method is built on trial, error, refinement of results and retesting. It is commendable that you were able to rectify any inaccuracies in your calculations through peer review. I therefore look forward to seeing your research published.

N.

• Like 3