AR 3500

tniickck

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like there was some eruptive activity, not sure how much; dimming seems to be directed upward from the region for now, so could definitely be something Earth-directed there to add to the filaments over the next few days.

And looks like we have a little fakeout here, further upwards we go; excelsior!

double peak?

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Wow double flare!!!

yeah that sometimes happens! Observed that with some higher flares now hehe :D  Does that change anything about eruptiveness or does that happen at the beginning/first peak? (I hope you know what i mean im quite bad at explaining)

2 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

yeah that sometimes happens! Observed that with some higher flares now hehe :D  Does that change anything about eruptiveness or does that happen at the beginning/first peak? (I hope you know what i mean im quite bad at explaining)

I know but those don’t happen often. One flare can trigger instability causing another event. 

3 minuten geleden, hamateur 1953 zei:

Gimme an X 

I hope so to, been a while 😜

• Like 1

on a sidenote, how come the flare? It does not look as complex.. also, it was much more complex a few days ago, even had a delta but no flare? :D 

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

As long as it’s long duration it could throw up more mass.

first dimming images are in, looks like it could become a full halo CME.

IMG_4287.jpeg

looks like peaking at M9,69 🙈

thanks for the imagery. What are the difference between a Halo and a full Halo ? i always thought its the same

Zojuist, MinYoongi zei:

on a sidenote, how come the flare? It does not look as complex.. also, it was much more complex a few days ago, even had a delta but no flare? :D 

Beta-gamma regions can produce M-class events, so the M3 is still plausible with such classification. But likely during the event some magnetic entanglement/instability occurred triggering the second one. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

There was a little bit of development in the left part of the region earlier, complexity can develop and result in activity pretty fast from what I've seen, although for the very biggest blasts you'd typically get a bit more of an advance warning.

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

thanks for the imagery. What are the difference between a Halo and a full Halo ? i always thought its the same

I guess just "halo" can mean partial halo as well; and even a full halo can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. I'm sure you could find a lot of ways to categorize CMEs based on their morphology.

Beta-gamma regions can produce M-class events, so the M3 is still plausible with such classification. But likely during the event some magnetic entanglement/instability occurred triggering the second one. 

Yeah, it looked like the second flare was in fact located more towards the part of the region where complexity had been emerging earlier, at least when I looked at it earlier today, sounds very reasonable that it could have affected it like that.

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

There was a little bit of development in the left part of the region earlier, complexity can develop and result in activity pretty fast from what I've seen, although for the very biggest blasts you'd typically get a bit more of an advance warning.

I guess just "halo" can mean partial halo as well; and even a full halo can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. I'm sure you could find a lot of ways to categorize CMEs based on their morphology.

Halo can be partial or full halo. Full halo is direct impact, partial halo is flank impact.

Ah, i thought something along those lines. Sometimes all the Names, Words, phenomena etc are too much for me. :D 

8 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, it looked like the second flare was in fact located more towards the part of the region where complexity had been emerging earlier, at least when I looked at it earlier today, sounds very reasonable that it could have affected it like that.

interesting. i'll look at it a bit later! 

13 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Now that's a spicy meatball.

😄❤️💯

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Strong coronal dimming, and looking at the dimming imagery it looks promising 😎 looking forward to see LASCO imagery tomorrow 

what do you expect / think? also @Philalethes said some is moving upwards, is it likely to be asymmetrical? I'd like to hear all your guys thoughts ^-^ while we wait 

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

what do you expect / think? also @Philalethes said some is moving upwards, is it likely to be asymmetrical? I'd like to hear all your guys thoughts ^-^ while we wait 

Going through SDO movies it looks like there's a decent amount of material ejection so far and it also looks to be symmetrical. Trying not to get too excited but this one is looking pretty good so far. Still early though.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, cgrant26 said:

Going through SDO movies it looks like there's a decent amount of material ejection so far and it also looks to be symmetrical. Trying not to get too excited but this one is looking pretty good so far. Still early though.

whats your expectation? 

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

whats your expectation? 

Need to see how long this flare lasts and get a few more frames of SDO movies but I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. next 12 hours on LASCO (assuming it stays up) will be the best indicator.

Edit:

Check out the 211/304/171 composite movie. https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/aiahmi/

Edited by cgrant26