AR 3386

tniickck

Just now, MinYoongi said:

thanks

look at 18 Jul M5.7 flare, it was very eruptive and caused S2 storm (and gave us a little glancing blow) 

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

well i mean it being wide would still only make it a glancing blow right? 

well i wouldnt say it might be geoeffective

• Thanks 1

"Early indications are that a coronal mass ejection (CME) will be associated with this event. Due to the location towards the west limb, most of the ejected material should be directed away from our planet. Coronagraph imagery will be required to determine if a glancing blow will be possible."  (Source : Solarham) 

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Significantly steeper rise in the electrons now than from the one earlier today, we'll probably see the same for the proton flux eventually; S3 sounds a bit too optimistic, but another S2 wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Well there was that one time we got a S4 storm from a X1 flare, Back in 2001.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2001/11/04/xray.html

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Significantly steeper rise in the electrons now than from the one earlier today, we'll probably see the same for the proton flux eventually; S3 sounds a bit too optimistic, but another S2 wouldn't surprise me at this point.

i would give it a S3 anyway, lets see

4 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

Well there was that one time we got a S4 storm from a X1 flare, Back in 2001.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2001/11/04/xray.html

an important role is played by the proximity of the solar flare to the center of the limb, that flare in 2001 was much closer to the center than today's 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

At best we might be able to get an asymmetric halo. A glancing blow impact would be most likely if it does arrive at Earth. Still all to be set in stone in coronagraph imagery.

15 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

Honestly, the CME from around 07:00 UTC was a more impressive looking CME than this one. That one unfortunately wasn't Earth directed. I'm anxious to see LASCO C3 in the next few hours.

thank you two for the opinions. 

The CME seems pretty good overall, maybe 28-40 hours travel time to 1AU. As far as the Earth directed component, it is still a glancing blow, but it looks a lot better than the CME that launched this morning. A travel time to Earth of around 60 hours seems possible at this point, but there isn't enough imagery for a full forecast yet.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1