AR 13311

Philalethes

Quite a bit of flaring from this new region already (which I assume will be 3311), a few M-flares so far, including this last one that seems to be eruptive, and has moved up and down while staying in the M-class for over an hour at the point of writing. Not aimed at Earth at all at this point, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mozy said:

Sure is an active one, exciting with some more frequent activity again.

Yeah, and it seems like it's becoming more frequent now, although maybe that's just very recently. Anything M-class and above is still pretty good to me at least. Maybe it'll become less noteworthy as we approach maximum, but by my reckoning we're still at least a year away from that. I didn't start paying attention to Solar activity and space weather until around this minimum, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, and it seems like it's becoming more frequent now, although maybe that's just very recently. Anything M-class and above is still pretty good to me at least. Maybe it'll become less noteworthy as we approach maximum, but by my reckoning we're still at least a year away from that. I didn't start paying attention to Solar activity and space weather until around this minimum, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

This will be my second maximum, although I barely knew what minimum & maximum were last time, I just followed spaceweather casually.

2 hours ago, mozy said:

This will be my second maximum, although I barely knew what minimum & maximum were last time, I just followed spaceweather casually.

Too bad the last maximum was one of the weakest on record, heh. Bit of a sad time to be alive in terms of Solar activity overall so far, although we don't know yet where SC25 will end up. Imagine living in 1957-1959 though, with a sustained SSN of over 250 for almost two years straight; I count 28 days during those years with an SN of over 400, with 2 of those days barely peaking above 500, sounds pretty wild.

As for this region, looks like another sustained flare; just wait a few more days with the really big eruptions...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

Notice something strange in this spot that has a very small red dot and the rest is pink? That means it's a gamma betta, right?

Screenshot_20230518-215526-1.jpg

Well, that in itself does not classify it as beta or gamma, but it could be that you've picked up on a pattern where such spots tend to be associated with more complexity, so there could be a relationship there. This region is still not clearly in view, but by the looks of it it's quite complex, and definitely looks like it's at least a beta-gamma. Here's a transition view of the relevant parts of the region so far:

image.gif

Even though it's still not a great angle for viewing it well, you can see that there's a lot of mixing there. I'm not sure how far in the process of breaking up it is, or if complexity is still emerging, but clearly it's still flaring a lot, like it is right now.

9 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Well, that in itself does not classify it as beta or gamma, but it could be that you've picked up on a pattern where such spots tend to be associated with more complexity, so there could be a relationship there. This region is still not clearly in view, but by the looks of it it's quite complex, and definitely looks like it's at least a beta-gamma. Here's a transition view of the relevant parts of the region so far:

image.gif

Even though it's still not a great angle for viewing it well, you can see that there's a lot of mixing there. I'm not sure how far in the process of breaking up it is, or if complexity is still emerging, but clearly it's still flaring a lot, like it is right now.

I believe there's a solid delta beginning to show itself now that we're starting to see the region better. (?)

Starting to see small hints of blue at that exact spot crammed in there on the magnetogram as It's rotating closer to our field of view

7b71fab1988cc5286ca2f865620979c5.png

78a56cf797f60804f320600e55128a25.png

Edited by mozy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mozy said:

I believe there's a solid delta beginning to show itself now that we're starting to see the region better. (?)

Starting to see small hints of blue at that exact spot crammed in there on the magnetogram as It's rotating closer to our field of view

7b71fab1988cc5286ca2f865620979c5.png

Yeah, that looks quite plausible based on how the m-gram usually looks at those angles, i.e. that small positive region could very well correspond to that spot. That would be rather promising for activity. Also a sign of some real movement in the heliomagnetic field if complexity keeps emerging here.

• Like 1

Do you believe the current kp6 could be from 3311? I actually missed any of the recent flares from there that had worrysome parameters. 

That south coronal hole seems to have grown a bit, could it accelerate wind while the region rotates to face us? 3311 seems pretty active.

11 minutes ago, Paulo Scaldaferri said:

Do you believe the current kp6 could be from 3311? I actually missed any of the recent flares from there that had worrysome parameters. 

That south coronal hole seems to have grown a bit, could it accelerate wind while the region rotates to face us? 3311 seems pretty active.

At the risk of being wrong (I'll be glad if someone corrects me), from what I've understood so far, I'd say that most of the flares in the region have been impulsive. A couple have been eruptive but none of them with a earth-directed component

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yep, and impulsive again too by the looks of it. This region is just pure bait.

Wouldn't surprise me if this flare just kills the delta aswell lol

• Sad 1

Long time lurker, first time poster

loving all the spiciness from this region but I’m readying myself for another “all bark, no bite”, which seems to be a fairly regular pattern as this cycle ramps up. But nothing’s out of the question, is it? Seems the first flares when rotating into view were certainly impulsive, but the newer ones have been showing a desire for duration, yes?