AR 13184: X1.98 flare

Philalethes

3 minutes ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

Sunspots change a lot they can grow it back sometimes.

yes, but im not seeing one currently. 

48c4202ffde9655e3fc04b06aec706a9.png

After the M5 Flare the region is still "glowing" or i think mozy called it "after flare arcades".

do they still eminate radiation and thus keep the background flux high? can someone maybe answer this? I have been googling for like 20 mins lmao 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

I have nothing specific to add to to the discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying the fascinating and enlightening discussions going on in this thread.  Fun to see the forum activity pick up as soon as the sun starts getting interesting.

I second that, nice to have you around and I hope you enjoy the show, the solar cycle is really starting to heat up!

8 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

yes, but im not seeing one currently. 

48c4202ffde9655e3fc04b06aec706a9.png

After the M5 Flare the region is still "glowing" or i think mozy called it "after flare arcades".

do they still eminate radiation and thus keep the background flux high? can someone maybe answer this? I have been googling for like 20 mins lmao 

What you are thinking about have a few names but I think the most common one is "post-eruption arcade". These arcades is when the magnetic loops re-connect basically and it can continue to emit radiation for several hours afterwards depending on the size of the eruption.

Sometimes you can see when the plasma "rains" down to the corona as it cools and gets denser.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Only if it unleashed a big flare it’s a good one 😂. Just by the looks it’s just a normal delta, not packed against another spot of opposite polarity so not a big chance for big flares. But M-flares seem possible

thanks! 

Yeah, the delta we had in 3186 was the best i've seen so far - i think.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

thanks! 

Yeah, the delta we had in 3186 was the best i've seen so far - i think.

It sure was the most exciting one for me, seeing them that close made me a bit more thrilled, hopefully more to come soon ^^

Edited by mozy

Just now, mozy said:

Not that I know of

sadge. 
Mozy, quick question. do you see on the south eastern limb where the CME originated from? Theres like a plasma plume of some kind, or arcs. are those keeping the background flux high? I remember you once said a limb flare impacted us in this way - but im unsure if i read/interpret that right! Or is it the regions growing? 

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

sadge. 
Mozy, quick question. do you see on the south eastern limb where the CME originated from? Theres like a plasma plume of some kind, or arcs. are those keeping the background flux high? I remember you once said a limb flare impacted us in this way - but im unsure if i read/interpret that right! Or is it the regions growing? 

Well, considering we have a lot of bigger regions on the earth facing side I'd say a combination of everything is contributing to it, not sure how much the limb thingy does but if you look at Angstroms 094 you'll see which regions light up more than others.

Also for growing part I'd say AR3186 is the one to keep track of, as It's still growing and, to me, it's starting to look a bit more interesting once again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

and, to me, it's starting to look a bit more interesting once again.

Can’t look at it right now, putting the bf to bed 😅 more intermixing ? 

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

Well, considering we have a lot of bigger regions on the earth facing side I'd say a combination of everything is contributing to it, not sure how much the limb thingy does but if you look at Angstroms 094 you'll see which regions light up more than others.

Ah, okay. I was just unsure of the higher background flux because i thought since 1382 (I hope that’s the center one) shrank and simplified it should’ve went down

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

i prefer 94 in suvi, does sdo have that too?

Hi Min,

SUVI HAS 094, 131, 171, 211, 304 & 335, also 1600A and 1700A. Along with magnetogram, and a few white light enhanced…

In total there are 18 images, including 3 composites.

check it out at sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov. That’s the home site for sdo.(gsfc is the Goddard Space Flight Center (it’s in Greenbelt Maryland, right off the BW parkway. I don’t know if it is still cool, but they had a museum there that was pretty awesome back n the day…  with visiting if you come to America! 😏

Hope this helps!

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Cool 2

44 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Hi Min,

SUVI HAS 094, 131, 171, 211, 304 & 335, also 1600A and 1700A. Along with magnetogram, and a few white light enhanced…

In total there are 18 images, including 3 composites.

check it out at sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov. That’s the home site for sdo.(gsfc is the Goddard Space Flight Center (it’s in Greenbelt Maryland, right off the BW parkway. I don’t know if it is still cool, but they had a museum there that was pretty awesome back n the day…  with visiting if you come to America! 😏

Hope this helps!

WnA

helps alot, thanks will :) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

Looks like we might have some small deltas, or close to deltas back in this spot?

Only one that appeared a couple of hours ago but it's decaying and not doing much buzz, managed to spark off a C 8.0 flare with a small CME

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

The CME looked really pretty in 304 though

My Pleasure.

Did ya know, I believe that the characteristic temps are like 10,000K and about 60,000K. You might check that. It may just be 10,000K. That light from 304A is allowing us to see into the upper chromosphere and,the lower transition zone (bottom of corona. The light comes from singly ionized, He III. Which is interesting because most all of the other UV wavelengths they have are centered on various ionized Fe.(Iron)

You can see a lot of the same features in H-a. It’s so cool to be watching it happen. The last couple of filament eruptions and flares were awesome. 

I believe there is a post in “Insightful Reading” by Newbie which talks about all of the channels, and what yer looking at with each one! 

All Y’all have ya a good night or whatever yer havin where ever you are…

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1
  • Cool 2