AR 13184: X1.98 flare

Philalethes

Gonna move my 3184 discussion here.

This region looks really interesting on the images and it will be fun to see what magnetic complexity it will have. It launched a nice CME yesterday and hopefully it has more plasma on the way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Still too close to the limb for a good lok on it's magnetic configuration but from the looks it seems like a nice region with a big penumbral area with several spots, followed by a zone of faculae. 

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-09 om 16.42.47.png

Does the faculae mean it was previously bigger and shrunk, or is it a sign it could grow?

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Patience my friend, it’s still in progress. Due to its position likely not, but much will depend (as always) of duration (the longer the better) and if the CME is wide. 

i just wanted to ask if its possible or 99% ruled out :D 

35a266740d0115b5e408ac2becfa8364.png

It made the other limb region in the north flare too :)  @arjemma didnt we talk about this like today?

• Like 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

i just wanted to ask if its possible or 99% ruled out :D 

Depending on what angle and what angle width a CME have it can hit earth even from regions close to the limbs. There have even been parts of CME that have hit us from CME's launched just beyond the limb before (wasn't that one from 2017?).

But yea it's rare and uncommon when they are in this position.

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Watch this region completely fall apart now after this intense flare 😅

Is that that common? 

1 minute ago, arjemma said:

Depending on what angle and what angle width a CME have it can hit earth even from regions close to the limbs. There have even been parts of CME that have hit us from CME's launched just beyond the limb before (wasn't that one from 2017?).

I did not yet hear about the 2017 CME, is there any info you can give me on it? Only started spectating in 2019 :D 

4 minutes ago, arjemma said:

How do we read the location of sunspots vs its potential to have earth directed CME from a resulting non-impulsive flare?

12 minuten geleden, RajSim zei:

How do we read the location of sunspots vs its potential to have earth directed CME from a resulting non-impulsive flare?

Anything around center disk till the western limb (Parker spiral effect). But a wide CME on the eastern limb can also hit us, but much depends on the characteristics. You can even have a Center disk narrow CME with bulk northward for example that misses us. Conclusion: no exact rules with CMEs 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1