AR 13184: X1.98 flare

Philalethes

59 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

the region seems rather quiet today, did the shear / complexity or both lessen? 

don't forget that even big complex regions can have quiet periods! I've seen regions being inactive for 24h with very complex magnetic layout and strong shear (and they popped a big X out of it 😉 ). Many times it's better to have a big good long duration flare than many short lived and impulsive flares because those don't deliver much. So it's not if they are quiet that it is bad. As long as there are delta's in the game, strong flares can happen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

don't forget that even big complex regions can have quiet periods! I've seen regions being inactive for 24h with very complex magnetic layout and strong shear (and they popped a big X out of it 😉 ). Many times it's better to have a big good long duration flare than many short lived and impulsive flares because those don't deliver much. So it's not if they are quiet that it is bad. As long as there are delta's in the game, strong flares can happen.

Absolutely true and i value your wisdom! :D 

Its just - when i look at the region it doesnt look as spectacular as it did yesterday, what do you say? if i'm correct the blue part of the delta is rather small and not that close to the red one? 

also, what is the shear for this region?

5 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Its just - when i look at the region it doesnt look as spectacular as it did yesterday, what do you say? if i'm correct the blue part of the delta is rather small and not that close to the red one? 

Well what I often do is play a sequence of a day of images of HMII continuum in jhelioviewer. You can set the view on the region and click the 'Track' button in the toolbar so it keeps the region centered, if you then play the sequence you have a good view on how the region is evolving. That way you can see that the penumbral area of the trailing part of the region is getting less and less indicating that the region is shrinking and losing spots and if it continues loose magnetic complexity. And thus, the complexity has already dropped as there is no magnetic delta structure present.

8 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

also, what is the shear for this region?

None, because you can only have magnetic shear if there's a strong delta present. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

@MinYoongi To add some examples to what Sander said:

Sometimes it's the quiet before the storm.
For example, here are some of the top strongest flares of all time, and you can see both times there weren't any other M or X flares that day, it's the only one above C.  And for one of them, the background flux was even all the way down in the B-range, and then it popped off an X14!
So quiet for a while doesn't mean it's over!

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 2.46.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 2.46.59 PM.png

Edited by Orneno

17 minutes ago, Orneno said:

@MinYoongi To add some examples to what Sander said:

Sometimes it's the quiet before the storm.
For example, here are some of the top strongest flares of all time, and you can see both times there weren't any other M or X flares that day, it's the only one above C.  And for one of them, the background flux was even all the way down in the B-range, and then it popped off an X14!
So quiet for a while doesn't mean it's over!

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 2.46.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 2.46.59 PM.png

yes i get what you say :)  But i think the regions are simplyfying a little bit, im not just going by background flux / C-M Activity

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

yes i get what you say :)  But i think the regions are simplyfying a little bit, im not just going by background flux / C-M Activity

That would be more discouraging for us who like big flares, and definitely a bad sign! Fingers crossed for redevelopment...
I'd love to see something good out of 3182, since it's almost directly Earth-facing!

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Quiet complex sunspots have the biggest chance of throwing powerful solar storms. The bastille day event came from a quiet complex region.

Edited by SpaceWeather5464
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I thought the deltas were gone. i was just looking at it like 30 mins earlier :D 

There is possibly still a very faint one in the same ring I pointed out in earlier, but it really doesn't look like it so idk.

Sometimes the regions do whatever they feel like despite how they look

Edited by mozy

3 minutes ago, mozy said:

There is possibly still a very faint one in the same ring I pointed out in earlier, but it really doesn't look like it so idk.

Sometimes the regions do whatever they feel like despite how they look

true, i think m class flares dont require deltas at all, or atleast not strong ones.

i remember an m class flare from a plage a year back or so lol

• Like 2

I have nothing specific to add to to the discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying the fascinating and enlightening discussions going on in this thread.  Fun to see the forum activity pick up as soon as the sun starts getting interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1