Solar wind density

Yak
Go to solution Solved by MinYoongi,

no, it's definitely not a glitch.

i was allready scrolling through data for an hour to find whats goin on (before the proton-peak finally appeared on spaceweatherlive),  cause my body is like an antenna, reacts to high proton with pain. i had and still have a huge pain-attack. i can tell by the amount of pain what kp we have.

its btw the reason i began to explore the sun and its available data. it took years to learn and finally bein able to say: pain+proton-amount correlate (in my case).

• Confused 1
  • Cool 2

4 hours ago, fanaticstargazer said:

i was allready scrolling through data for an hour to find whats goin on (before the proton-peak finally appeared on spaceweatherlive),  cause my body is like an antenna, reacts to high proton with pain. i had and still have a huge pain-attack. i can tell by the amount of pain what kp we have.

its btw the reason i began to explore the sun and its available data. it took years to learn and finally bein able to say: pain+proton-amount correlate (in my case).

It was, errored data. The ACE satellite had short periods of missing data prior, then a big gap afterwards. The DSCOVR and SOHO satellites never had spikes around that time, but every once in a while they have their own glitches.

When you look at solar wind data, you are likely looking at a mix of ACE and DSCOVR data and you may not know when it switches back and forth.

• Thanks 1

hm. from "almost certainly a glitch" to "missing data", "gaps" and "not knowing if you see ACE or DSCOVR", you go to "SOHO+ DSCOVR had no spikes", therefore there was no spike you assume.

i dare say: having gaps+missing data could also prove the hit. instruments cant handle great amounts of mixed charged particles.

i would greatly appreciate scientists comments measuring protons on earth, or something like real time gle data. we have the two:

https://gle.oulu.fi/#/
https://cosmicrays.oulu.fi/

neutron count can be a hint of an event.

has anybody a link, how to monitor proton hit on earth? or more stations/data hinting a protonevent?

so far we lack the final evidence, well, beside my pain..

the pain-proton relation is a thing i monitor since 2008. the papers done about that say there's a lot more to research on that...

lets investigate a bit more?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, fanaticstargazer said:

i dare say: having gaps+missing data could also prove the hit. instruments cant handle great amounts of mixed charged particles.

This is true, but these issues with instrumentation also happen quite frequently, when nothing at all is happening. It’s a pretty common problem. 

i would greatly appreciate scientists comments measuring protons on earth, or something like real time gle data. we have the two:

has anybody a link, how to monitor proton hit on earth? or more stations/data hinting a protonevent?

There have been zero solar particle events recently:

43490495-D2A0-49B1-BBC3-49345204ABE7.thumb.png.760d675682466668431ee97ef6887256.png

Personal anecdotal feelings are not really reliable scientific evidence. 

Go ahead. 

Any further speculation on this topic must take place in the “unproven theories” forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanaticstargazer said:

hm. from "almost certainly a glitch" to "missing data", "gaps" and "not knowing if you see ACE or DSCOVR", you go to "SOHO+ DSCOVR had no spikes", therefore there was no spike you assume.

the pain-proton relation is a thing i monitor since 2008. the papers done about that say there's a lot more to research on that...

Hey, chill out. Things aren’t perfect. 

Issues happen that’s all. 

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, fanaticstargazer said:

there was something big goin on (pls chill too, solartracker200, curiosity+research on work here:) ) see

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/10/17/powerful-gamma-ray-burst-made-currents-flow-in-the-earth/

https://gcn.gsfc.nasa.gov/gcn3/32744.gcn3

watch the date of the second link...

Yes, the image date in the second link says October 9th.

This will be the last message I'll make on this in this topic.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:12 AM, fanaticstargazer said:

Besides your pain, how can/do you know this? 

I don't discount that you feel pain or doubt your experience. Have you documented this phenomenon? I don't want to get off topic, so perhaps another thread with is appropriate. 

It doesn't take years to say this, people say the Sun, Protons, Flares, Sun activity cause all sorts of things. Anyone can guess and correlate. 

From reading what others have said, shown and linked, I would guess the error was mechanical, not some proton spike. 

• Like 1

@ Bry

thx very much for your link! tons of data there :)!

this was unique how it got observed!

a thing i love so much about astronomy is this knowing how little we know... and then explore!

@ Archmonoth

yes, i'd love to start a thread about the correlation, but i havent got the time now.

and it took years, cause in the beginning i didnt have all the data and knowledge.

@ Jesterface23

we're writing about something unique, new, unexplored so far. 5 days in cosmis relations to birth of a black hole, gamma burst this size, behaviour of black matter/energy etcetc so near, 5 days are nothing! there could be, probably is a relation/influence.

wait, explore and see! data is gathering.

i stay curious and open.

• Like 1

again:

25.oct 2022, 03:48 utc, 130.73p/cm³

what else is goin on?:

spaceweather.com today writes:

"FARSIDE SUNSPOT: There is a sunspot on the farside of the sun so big it is changing the way the sun vibrates. Helioseismic maps reveal its acoustic echo a few days behind the sun's northeastern limb."

and:

datapoints never measured before, thought of as impossible or breaking assumptions emerge from the gamma ray burst observations of 9. oct. and after, see https://gcn.gsfc.nasa.gov/gcn/gcn3_archive.html

(out of Bry's great link  https://noirlab.edu/public/news/noirlab2224/?lang )

are huge amounts of energycharges/particles from the GRB hitting/fooling us/instruments?

• Dislike 1

There was a pretty sizable earthquake just now in central California 5.1 .. there hasn’t been one since 2007 of that size on that fault. I thought there might be some space weather detectors indicating something, or at least a magnetometer change preceding significant shifts of tectonic plate boundaries. We haven’t had any noticeable earthquakes in years!

With regards to this topic of solar wind speed density:  Is anyone else wondering how a nuclear test would show up on the same space weather sensors? The last nuke test on sept 3, 2017 seemed to have a potential seismic and space weather signature despite the large flares around and after the event.

I honestly was relieved to see the report on supernova as a cause for the recent gamma burst other than ourselves or the sun!

I’ve worked in an analytical lab before and remember data glitches usually indicating something was wrong with the machine that needed calibrating, cleaning or communication issues fixed. Space weather sensors are way more complicated so I really appreciate the knowledge y’all share regarding diagnosing these glitches and what they mean during these questionable times, especially when there is no data!

Glad to see y’all not too worried, prolly  or hopefully just the change of the seasons!

Edit:

I just remembered there was supposed to be a partial solar eclipse this morning! Now I’m wondering how the moon passing between us and the sun might impact these glitches..

Edited by Bry
Partial solar eclipse impacts on sensors
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Bry said:

There was a pretty sizable earthquake just now in central California 5.1 .. there hasn’t been one since 2007 of that size on that fault. I thought there might be some space weather detectors indicating something, or at least a magnetometer change preceding significant shifts of tectonic plate boundaries. We haven’t had any noticeable earthquakes in years!

With regards to this topic of solar wind speed density:  Is anyone else wondering how a nuclear test would show up on the same space weather sensors? The last nuke test on sept 3, 2017 seemed to have a potential seismic and space weather signature despite the large flares around and after the event.

I honestly was relieved to see the report on supernova as a cause for the recent gamma burst other than ourselves or the sun!

I’ve worked in an analytical lab before and remember data glitches usually indicating something was wrong with the machine that needed calibrating, cleaning or communication issues fixed. Space weather sensors are way more complicated so I really appreciate the knowledge y’all share regarding diagnosing these glitches and what they mean during these questionable times, especially when there is no data!

Glad to see y’all not too worried, prolly  or hopefully just the change of the seasons!

Edit:

I just remembered there was supposed to be a partial solar eclipse this morning! Now I’m wondering how the moon passing between us and the sun might impact these glitches..

DSCOVR is at L1, the moon won’t pass between it and the sun

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

The satellites that get solar wind data for Earth are out in L1. Good luck getting a nuke there.

Good point! Unfortunately I looked and found a study discussing how if a large asteroid were approaching earth, our best bet would be to launch a nuclear weapon from the Lagrange points, with the Outer Space Treaty allowing. Looks almost too surreal to be true, or too much like what the movie “Don’t look up” was based off of for me!

viewcontent.cgi?article=3215&context=fac

I see the starfish prime nuclear test in the space in 1962 was only ~250 miles up and Lagrange point is like 1.5 million miles up, but they’re saying beta particles made it into the magnetic field lines or radiation belt and get trapped for five years and damage satellites in low earth orbit.. No wonder the Outer Space treaty was made five years after this space nuclear test in 1962!

The aurora description seen on the opposite side of the equator from the starfish prime nuclear blast at the Johnston atoll is something else to read from this wiki, under aftereffects tab... I know nuclear auroras shouldn’t sound beautiful but somehow do!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_radiation_belts

shows how induced electric field from artificial radiation belts separates electrons and protons east and west and trap other particles and effect satellites.

thanks for the entertainment to ease my qualms after that unexpected earthquake today!

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

DSCOVR is at L1, the moon won’t pass between it and the sun

Excellent point! I saw this image today of SDO with a chunk taken out of it figured a few other satellites might be effected as well. I see SDO is set at an orbit to avoid solar eclipses but they “occur for an hour a day for a few weeks of the year”

28 minutes ago, Bry said:

Is it the smiley faced coronal hole hitting us just now or recently? I noticed a solar wind density, speed magnitude and direction spike. I thought it would take longer for some reason.

Looks like the CH HSS is here. Seems a little early, but that’s by far the most probable explanation 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...