Solar wind density

Yak
Go to solution Solved by MinYoongi,

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

That would be Aurora time. Especially if a KP7 happens. Then frick sleep and I’ll go try and see northern lights. 

Wait for real? Damn. 

I think even 7! 2015 should be the last year with such a high BZ but im too lazy to go through the archive rn.

@Jesterface23 If i remember correctly youre very good at telling what phenomena were dealing with most of the time because of the temps etc. :) Can you maybe bring some light into the dark?

Honestly, I'm scratching my head as to how these numbers are so high. We're seeing IMF strength on the level of an X level solar flare and CME.

The CME trackers haven't even really recorded anything huge. Just a bunch of M's. The strength is high even for a coronal hole stream.

1 minute ago, Bobofango said:

Honestly, I'm scratching my head as to how these numbers are so high. We're seeing IMF strength on the level of an X level solar flare and CME.

The CME trackers haven't even really recorded anything huge. Just a bunch of M's. The strength is high even for a coronal hole stream.

They can have mixed :) Just enjoy it! Do you live somewhere near aurora-zone? :) 

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Well I’m going to head to bed (because it’s 11:04pm here) and hopefully the bz doesn’t change and go KP7 while I’m sleeping or I’ll be sad. So yeah, bye people of the internet.  

Good night friend! For me its 7 am. :P 

and @Bobofango great! Im jealous.

for everyone else

b8650fafbff538b3373c90aa05330a57.png

A drop in density and a rise in speed usually signals CH HSS to me. What do you guys say? 

My theory: A cme ahead of a CH HSS .

What has noaa to say to all of this? this

"The solar wind environment is expected to be weakly enhanced on 27 Sep
in response to combined CME effects, as well as eventual negative
polarity CH HSS influences. Conditions should remain elevated on 28 Sep
as CME/CH HSS influence persists."

i just dont know when the cme/s end and when the ch hss starts.

Personally I think it was all a CIR. And we’re beginning to see the rise to the HSS now. 
However, one possibility is a CIR and a stealth CME lined up to impact at the exact same time. We might both be right. 

46 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Its the highest value in like 5 years. cool. :) 

I still wonder if its a CME or CH HSS. Or both. @Orneno, do you have a guess? 

also, taking pictures?

FA3A8949-F635-4223-B960-89EC2D5F58FD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

@BobofangoMy theory: A cme ahead of a CH HSS .

42 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Personally I think it was all a CIR. And we’re beginning to see the rise to the HSS now. 
However, one possibility is a CIR and a stealth CME lined up to impact at the exact same time. We might both be righ

We're going to have to name this.

A Cannibal Ch?

Edited by Drax Spacex
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im just impressed at 27 BZ for a CH or stealth CME

It shows that spaceweather still has much funding to get.

Indeed, neither one seems adequate to explain 30nT, the strongest disturbance since 2015!

Not to mention that there were bright active aurora down to mid-latitude during the super strong northerly Bz, when the hemispheric power was 12 and every indication should have said no aurora at all… but it defied all data and glowed anyway! Even down to southern WI, at hemispheric power 13 and the Bz 30nT *north*!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Indeed, neither one seems adequate to explain 30nT, the strongest disturbance since 2015!

Not to mention that there were bright active aurora down to mid-latitude during the super strong northerly Bz, when the hemispheric power was 12 and every indication should have said no aurora at all… but it defied all data and glowed anyway! Even down to southern WI, at hemispheric power 13 and the Bz 30nT *north*!

Maybe the Russel Mc. Pheron Effect? Its Equinox season.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Estoy impresionado con 27 BZ para un CH o un CME sigiloso

Muestra que el clima espacial todavía tiene mucho financiamiento para obtener.

the bz was 31 north for a few moments but I have a theory, that the ch was there and cme at the same time giving an second impact

Edited by Isatsuki San
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

@Jesterface23 If i remember correctly youre very good at telling what phenomena were dealing with most of the time because of the temps etc. :) Can you maybe bring some light into the dark?

Well, definitely a clear CH HSS this morning (morning where I am). What CME is mixed in, who knows. This was my guess,

12 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Maybe a mix of a southern CH CIR and weak center disk filament eruption early morning on the 22nd

Now at around 14:00Z:

You can see the IMF Bt dropped in a span of about 17 minutes. In this case that is the final CIR/SIR to HSS transition.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMEHunter said:

Whoa.. What just happened to the solar wind speed (and density too)?

chart.jpeg

Any very fast and extreme jumps up or down are usually glitches. Especially if a spike going up immediately goes back down.  And often times if there's something like this you can see if the density, Bt, and Bz also show a feature at that time.  Often with glitches they won't, but if it was a real feature of the solar wind they likely would.

Edited by Orneno

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Likely issues again with DSCVR… happens more frequently 

28 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Any very fast and extreme jumps up or down are usually glitches. Especially if a spike going up immediately goes back down.  And often times if there's something like this you can see if the density, Bt, and Bz also show a feature at that time.  Often with glitches they won't, but if it was a real feature of the solar wind they likely would.

Makes sense, thanks. CH HSSs don't usually end quite that suddenly!

• 2 weeks later...