CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

AR3110

Landon Moeller

Well, the M8 flare CME is at least visible in C3 all the way around in differenced imagery. If we are hit, we may only get a shorter lived shock. The bulk of the CME that is missing us looks a lot faster than what the models show currently, so I guess we wait and see.

image.thumb.jpeg.7af847353ae4577fab2c108e82502253.jpegUPDATE: A G2 watch has been added for Tuesday morning due to the consensus of CME arrival at or near earth tomorrow evening from 3113’s CME yesterday morning around 13 UTC. Protons on a slow, steady rise already may be an indicator. Also, X flare probabilities are now 30%!

2 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7af847353ae4577fab2c108e82502253.jpegUPDATE: A G2 watch has been added for Tuesday morning due to the consensus of CME arrival at or near earth tomorrow evening from 3113’s CME yesterday morning around 13 UTC. Protons on a slow, steady rise already may be an indicator. Also, X flare probabilities are now 30%!

Do you really think any cme will arrive?

Also i think this region just produced an x class

5 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CME from this one looks close to the last one, but a more powerful shock. The bulk of the CME looks to be going northwestward again.

CME definitely looks like a miss. Interestingly though, look at the massive shockwave sent across the surface of the sun all the way to the North Pole! It’s visible in dimming and Angstroms 195 

36 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you really think any cme will arrive?

Also i think this region just produced an x class

I think a CME will likely arrive 

18 minutes ago, mozy said:

Someone needs to do a brief up on this region as to why & how it's behaving like it is, certainly interesting.

AR3110 is a crazy region

It was just a little region yesterday then it unexpectedly became a complex region, which then shot out an X-flare

1 hour ago, mozy said:

Someone needs to do a brief up on this region as to why & how it's behaving like it is, certainly interesting.

Maybe it has to do with magnetic shear? if anyone has a link to a map of it I would love to see it.

• Like 1

It’s likely that there was a lot of complexity going on under the surface where we couldn’t see it. That’s my guess.

But that’s something experts don’t even have a good understanding of. I think it’s sorta why every region gets at least a 1% chance for x flares, because you never know how complex it might actually be.

Edited by Calder
Added to my thought

Following the M5.8 and M8.7 flares, AR 13110 produced an X1.0 flare. These three flares were similar. They were from the newly developed region to the north of the main leading spot, and associated with surge-like eruptions. These type of events are known as spray surges.

The activity of this region was also due in part to the reverse polarity or anti hale tendencies the spot showed initially with the majority of  the negative polarity in the north heing surrounded by positive polarity.

The inversion line was fairly long producing two major flares according to Solen.

N.

Screenshot_2022-10-03-17-28-52-1-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Following the M5.8 and M8.7 flares, AR 13110 produced an X1.0 flare. These three flares were similar. They were from the newly developed region to the north of the main leading spot, and associated with surge-like eruptions. These type of events are known as spray surges.

The activity of this region was also due in part to the reverse polarity or anti hale tendencies the spot showed initially with the majority of  the negative polarity in the north heing surrounded by positive polarity.

The inversion line was fairly long producing two major flares according to Solen.

N.

Screenshot_2022-10-03-17-28-52-1-1.jpg

Awesome explanation Newbie. Love it. :) 

• Like 2

WRT 3110, there has been a considerable amount of sigmoid activity within this AR. Sigmoid activity refers to the twisting of ropes of magnetic flux, often a precursor to explosions. 

It's worthwhile to note, conversely, that up until this point 3112 has not registered any sigmoid activity.

N.

It appears that the X flare from 3110 had a faint White Light flare associated with it, i will have videos soon got to figure out how to get them on here

i do not know if this is normal or not as i have not learned much about them yet, but i have not detected them in other flares so idk

1 hour ago, farm24 said:

It appears that the X flare from 3110 had a faint White Light flare associated with it, i will have videos soon got to figure out how to get them on here

i do not know if this is normal or not as i have not learned much about them yet, but i have not detected them in other flares so idk

How did you detect it? Arent white light flares extremely powerful?