AR3110

Landon Moeller

2 minutes ago, Strom said:

Looks like it was pretty strong;  must the the M8.9 just reported.

2022-10-02 0224 GOES.jpg

Interesting - the eruption I saw was a precursor to this flare.  The flare was just "getting ready."   There was another, stronger eruption ( narrower, more focused?) along with the flare.

3 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

For sure. 1st one looked more like a bubble CME and has the better chance to hit near earth. I'll say the major one directly associated with the M8.7 flare is a miss 

dba9ac89c031149698ff969d9c0e4e58.png
https://gyazo.com/dba9ac89c031149698ff969d9c0e4e58

Yes, it seems to directly shoot upwards.

Does the first CME look good? Can you maybe show me? (jsut woke up :D, almost missing all the fun!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you think it goes Northward as well, like the 2nd? I actually say based on suvi/SDO data that the CME from the M8 Flare is a complete miss

I think the first one is more likely to get near earth. The M8 flare is 99.9% chance a miss haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landon Moeller said:

I think the first one is more likely to get near earth. The M8 flare is 99.9% chance a miss haha.

Im looking at the magnetogram and im trying to wrap my head around that region producing 2 moderate - strong flares.

but ive also seen 1-2 times that a plage fires off a high C/ Low M class flare so never say never lol

2 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

The first CME may not make it very far though. The CHs may have blocked most of the shock of the 2nd CME, so we will need to wait and see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The first CME may not make it very far though. The CHs may have blocked most of the shock of the 2nd CME, so we will need to wait and see.

Oh interesting thanks! That makes perfect sense and would explain why the flare ejections look so focused in one direction

3 minutes ago, Landon Moeller said:

image.jpeg.d18d04788fe8f1c766aed3e4b311e2ff.jpegSTEREO so far. Looks north and west, but hopefully we see enough east component in lasco 

didnt it deflect to the northwest completly? do you expect a glancing blow now?

Solarham said "The M8.7 solar flare earlier around AR 3110 flung a tower of plasma into space. Much of this will likely be reabsorbed by the Sun, however any plasma that does escape in the form of a CME will likely be minor and directed away from our planet. Image by GOES-16 SUVI." 

5 hours ago, Yak said:

I have a question, how come we have got 2 M5+ flares from 3110, but nothing on the BGD ar 3112?

It's simply not always as easy at looking at the designation/configuration of a spot, but it's generally a good indication. That being said, I believe 3112 did have an M-flare as it came over the limb, and it's been "brewing" with C-flares lately, so we're hopefully going to see a bit more activity from it.

5 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

It's simply not always as easy at looking at the designation/configuration of a spot, but it's generally a good indication. That being said, I believe 3112 did have an M-flare as it came over the limb, and it's been "brewing" with C-flares lately, so we're hopefully going to see a bit more activity from it.

Flare probs for The Whole disk are 99/60/25/25 this morning. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe these are some of the highest numbers in months?