Region 3014: biggest AR of the SC!

MinYoongi

В 07:44 UTC на Солнце произошла вспышка класса М3 . Если за ним следует КВМ (выброс корональной массы), он, скорее всего, будет направлен в сторону Земли.
Активный регион 3014
Создано с помощью Helioviewer, проекта визуализации солнечных и гелиосферных данных с открытым исходным кодом.
Длина волны 171 ангстрем.

Edited by Evgeny
Didn't post a photo

25 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

There is a very good explanation of shear effects from NASA, with an animation that should help understanding

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/flaremag.shtml

Thank you! But is there a way or a model that measures shear? (Im on mobile so sorry if there was a Video or something in the link that explains that question already) because looking at the Magnetogram or Intensigram is not really telling for me but it seems to be for people more experienced like @Vancanneyt Sander.

41 minuten geleden, Evgeny zei:

В 07:44 UTC на Солнце произошла вспышка класса М3 . Если за ним следует КВМ (выброс корональной массы), он, скорее всего, будет направлен в сторону Земли.
Активный регион 3014
Создано с помощью Helioviewer, проекта визуализации солнечных и гелиосферных данных с открытым исходным кодом.
Длина волны 171 ангстрем.

Welcome. I have merged your topic with this topic just to keep everything in one place. Do note we all speak English in these forums. You are welcome to join the discussions but please write in English. Thanks for understanding.

4 uren geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Thank you! But is there a way or a model that measures shear?

There is no model for that 😉 it's not something that has to be modeled or measured. It's pretty simple: if a delta spot is squashed against the other spot in the same penumbral area = strong magnetic shear and high risk for fireworks.

4 uren geleden, Evgeny zei:

Активный регион 3014

It was an impulsive event so there won't be a CME associated 😉 

4 uren geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

There is no model for that 😉 it's not something that has to be modeled or measured. It's pretty simple: if a delta spot is squashed against the other spot in the same penumbral area = strong magnetic shear and high risk for fireworks.

It was an impulsive event so there won't be a CME associated 😉 

Looks like being slowly encircled… slowly…

10 hours ago, 3gMike said:

There is a very good explanation of shear effects from NASA, with an animation that should help understanding

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/flaremag.shtml

So, after reading the explanation of shear, it makes some good sense - essentially, shear is how much the magnetic field lines run parallel to the neutral boundary between regions instead of taking the most direct (and I assume lowest-energy) path across the boundary.

I am just not aware of a publicly available method to visualize the horizontal components of the field lines used in the NASA example though...  How did they do it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lifeblack said:

So, after reading the explanation of shear, it makes some good sense - essentially, shear is how much the magnetic field lines run parallel to the neutral boundary between regions instead of taking the most direct (and I assume lowest-energy) path across the boundary.

I am just not aware of a publicly available method to visualize the horizontal components of the field lines used in the NASA example though...  How did they do it?

great explanation :) 

Im wondering about the region. It looked better a few hours ago, am i right?

"The region grew in areal coverage to near 1200 millions while the leading and trailing portions of the region appeared to merge together through the period."

what effect does the merging have? Has anyone an update on the region? 

I asked this earlier but Noaa downgraded it from 15% X Chance to 10 and then to 5%. Meanwhile everyone here is saying more Complex/More Chance? Its confusing.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

"The region grew in areal coverage to near 1200 millions while the leading and trailing portions of the region appeared to merge together through the period."

what effect does the merging have? Has anyone an update on the region? 

I asked this earlier but Noaa downgraded it from 15% X Chance to 10 and then to 5%. Meanwhile everyone here is saying more Complex/More Chance? Its confusing.

@Patrick P.A. Gerylwould say "Noaa are amateurs" 🤣

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Speaking of it.. look at 3014+3017 flaring non stop once rotating off :D 

Nothing significant yet, I'm still waiting for the big eruption behind the limb from 3014 ^^