Huge CME from northeast limb

LunarLights58

2 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

Amazing...

But SOHO's LASCO data hasn't been working on the SWPC page and even SOHO's own NASA website.

Well i dont know how CACTUS is processing the data, but on https://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/Theater/ the LASCO images are currently ~ one day behind. Maybe CACTus gets the images before we see it.

8 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

And this footage also is from LASCO C2 and C3, so i think these are the unprocessed pictures, because on every site i know, the images of LASCO are colored (Red or Blue to be precise)

4 minutes ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Well i dont know how CACTUS is processing the data, but on https://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/Theater/ the LASCO images are currently ~ one day behind. Maybe CACTus gets the images before we see it.

And this footage also is from LASCO C2 and C3, so i think these are the unprocessed pictures, because on every site i know, the images of LASCO are colored (Red or Blue to be precise)

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

LASCO images are up now

😎

26 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

By looking at it from the LASCO C3, my guess is that it was a X10 or so, because it was huge, but I don't know 

Well, my guess it has to be X10+ or maybe even X15+ ... something, because even GOES did observe a rise in the solar energetic particles though the CME is directed away from us

Edited by Solar_Marcel

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

It may have been the biggest solar flare ever seen. Who knows 🤷‍♀️ 

We never will know for certain, but the PSP and BepiColombo were quite near, so maybe off the data we can estimate how strong the flare has been🤷‍♀️

It's crazy how the Sun is able to release all this energy.

Just from it's luminosity, the Sun radiates 3.828×10²⁶ Watts.

And just ONE kilogram, traveling at CME launch speeds (in this case, a good 2,100 km/s), has an energy of 2.202×10¹² Joules!

A CME can contain trillions of kilograms of plasma.

A trillion in scientific notation is 10¹², so this means a CME's kinetic energy is over 10²⁴ Joules

12 minutes ago, Tormentius said:

Wow, incredible. My only annoyance is seeing all of the fearmongering by certain people who are freaking out about this. Takes away from my ability to appreciate such a magnificent event.

Yep! 

I do not know too much things about CME's yet, since i only started my spaceweather journey in solar Minimum around 2019 but I do not think it wouldve been a devastating hit, if it wouldve been aimed at earth. 

0ad0134bea49764a723d0f391117b990.png

I dont know if i should agree with this. Im not experienced enough, but im kinda missing the information as to WHY it wouldve been a bullet and WHY it couldve produced a very strong Geomagnetic storm.

3 hours ago, Solar_Marcel said:

Well, my guess it has to be X10+ or maybe even X15+ ... something, because even GOES did observe a rise in the solar energetic particles though the CME is directed away from us

May i ask how you come to that consensus? Just curious :) 

Edited by MinYoongi

56 minutes ago, Tormentius said:

My only annoyance is seeing all of the fearmongering by certain people who are freaking out about this.

Isn't just annoying? They don't just do it space weather. When I used to tracker weather patters and sort of 'predict' the next storm, people would fearmonger when a severe thunderstorm would roll in and not do any damage.  

44 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May i ask how you come to that consensus?

A M or X1 would not do that. Neither a X9. 

Edited by Solarflaretracker200
AUTOCORRECT

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont know if i should agree with this. Im not experienced enough, but im kinda missing the information as to WHY it wouldve been a bullet and WHY it couldve produced a very strong Geomagnetic storm.

I follow spaceweather.com for a while, their news on CMEs always seem to be a little bit exaggerated. Nothing fearmongering or anything from them, just a little over the top.

And of course, because it takes a lot of time and random chance for the sun to pump out even at least an X1, compared to all other CMEs we've seen as of late this would naturally get a lot of attention. So assuming it would have at least made a significant storm is not too farfetched. The 'dodged a bullet' claim though, is a little strange, I agree, there's no reason to point that out without sufficient data about it other than it was big. Sometimes they're asking for CMEs to hit the planet, then other times they make posts like these, go figure.

Edited by Webtrip294
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Webtrip294 said:

I follow spaceweather.com for a while, their news on CMEs always seem to be a little bit exaggerated. Nothing fearmongering or anything from them, just a little over the top.

And of course, because it takes a lot of time and random chance for the sun to pump out even at least an X1, compared to all other CMEs we've seen as of late this would naturally get a lot of attention. So assuming it would have at least made a significant storm is not too farfetched. The 'dodged a bullet' claim though, is a little strange, I agree, there's no reason to point that out without sufficient data about it other than it was big. Sometimes they're asking for CMEs to hit the planet, then other times they make posts like these, go figure.

I 100% agree with you on that.

13 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Isn't just annoying? They don't just do it space weather. When I used to tracker weather patters and sort of 'predict' the next storm, people would fearmonger when a severe thunderstorm would roll and not do any damage.  

A M or X1 would not do that. Neither a X9. 

But why is that?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

しかし、それはなぜですか?

The speed, how big it is, the fact it was a Type IV CME and the rise in solar protons from Earth. 

(I have no idea why it somehow translated your quote into Japanese 🤣🤣🤷‍♂️)

Edited by Solarflaretracker200
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

The speed, how big it is, the fact it was a Type IV CME and the rise in solar protons from Earth. 

(I have no idea why it somehow translated your quote into Japanese 🤣🤣🤷‍♂️)

Lmao @ the japanese Quote 😄 

30 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I understand that completely. My problem is that I suffer from anxiety. It used to be related to extreme weather where I would worry every time a storm came through my area. I've overcome that and storms don't bother me anymore. But I've been having some difficulty with space weather. Mainly because I hear some people say its really nothing to worry about and others say that its a major threat and the scientists can't seem to agree on it. So because of that, events like this make me nervous and I find myself struggling to stay calm.

Edit: I meant to quote your comment about fearmongeirng and weather but I messed up somehow lol

Edited by Tormentius

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

What? 

1 minute ago, Tormentius said:

Edit: I meant to quote your comment about fearmongeirng and weather but I messed up somehow lol

Don't worry I read your post and figured it out lol

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Am I just stupid and don't understand you? LOL

2 minutes ago, Tormentius said:

I understand that completely. My problem is that I suffer from anxiety. It used to be related to extreme weather where I would worry every time a storm came through my area. I've overcome that and storms don't bother me anymore. But I've been having some difficulty with space weather. Mainly because I hear some people say its really nothing to worry about and others say that its a major threat and the scientists can't seem to agree on it. So because of that, events like this make me nervous and I find myself struggling to stay calm.

Welcome to the anxiety club. It takes a while to get to get over it with how sometimes uncertain information about the topic can be. At least the forums of this site made me appreciate the space weather more than fearing it.

13 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

What? 

Don't worry I read your post and figured it out lol

Am I just stupid and don't understand you? LOL

Lmao                                   @  the japanese Quote
(Laughing my ass off)      (At)

'@' is just a way to communicate who or what you're pointing out something to.

10 minutes ago, Webtrip294 said:

'@' is just a way to communicate who or what you're pointing out something to.

Yeah I was being retarded....I know that....I have no idea why I didn't understand that 🤣

To be fair Japanese and English are my first language. (I know it's confusing 🤣)

(For all of you following me, I bet you didn't know that)

18 minutes ago, Webtrip294 said:

Lmao                                   @  the japanese Quote
(Laughing my ass off)      (At)

Yeah, I knew that...Somehow I just confused... I don't even know how haha

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Yep! 

I do not know too much things about CME's yet, since i only started my spaceweather journey in solar Minimum around 2019 but I do not think it wouldve been a devastating hit, if it wouldve been aimed at earth. 

May i ask how you come to that consensus? Just curious :) 

A bullet eh?

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/region/10486.html

Now this region wasn't just a bullet. It was an A-bomb.

Edited by LunarLights58

18 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont quite understand? A bomb? Why are we suddenly talking about an old region? Sorry. Had a rough day lol

They’re comparing sizes between the farside AR and famous old ones like the Halloween storms. 

There’s a phrase “dodged a bullet”, which some people have applied to the magnificent farside CME. LunarLights said this old AR was more than a bullet, it was a bomb (saying it was very powerful).

• Like 1