(New) CME impact

Sam Warfel

1 minute ago, Christopher S. said:

As expected, second impact. It resembles the ferocity of the CME we saw in LASCO+moderately south IMF, so this is the one that was predicted/being discussed

I’d tend to agree with you that this was much more of a halo CME impact, it being later than expected makes more sense than being early. 
Which of course leaves open the question of where the first impact came from, as you rightly predicted. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:02 PM, Orneno said:

This has all the earmarks of the CME, and I didn’t think there were Amy others, but yes, recently (last few months) there’s sometimes been so much activity it’s hard to tell what came from what sometimes. Not a bad problem to have, if one is a northern lights hunter, but vexing if a forecaster. 

Orneno, you have led me into thinking the CME was a dud, and so I gave up on trying to see the aurorae, despite the real one not having arrived until last night. 😞

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Orneno said:

Could a “weak CH entry” really have driven the BZ south to -18? It’s quite significant, hemispheric power reached a 150

At random, it might as well be possible. The CH HHS entry was around that time of /02 23:30Z, along with another at around /03 13:00Z. In SOHO's solar wind proton density data you can see the increase prior. With some solar wind data somethings being unreliable and some not available as often(ACE, Wind) doesn't help too much heading deeper into the solar cycle.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Thanks 1

For armchair space weather enthusiasts keeping score at home, this would be tallied as a SWPC prediction miss.  The actual G1 (Feb 03) occurred after the G1/G2 storm watch was cancelled:

Space Weather Message Code: WATA30
Serial Number: 200
Issue Time: 2022 Feb 02 1914 UTC
CANCEL WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G2 Predicted Cancel Serial Number: 199 Original Issue Time: 2022 Jan 31 1954 UTC Comment: Cancelling the G2 (Moderate) watch for 2 Feb and the G1 Watch for 3 Feb. No watches are now in effect.

So what went wrong here?  Anything?  Nothing?  Satisfactory prediction within a reasonable margin of error?  Good enough for government work?

Was the observed G1 a consequence of the CME that was the subject of the G1/G2 storm watch?  Or was it something else, a follow-on CIR>CH HSS perhaps?  Is it possible to even know?

Is there a postmortem review that occurs behind-closed-doors to review such questions and brainstorm possible answers?  Was it insufficient data?  Was it flawed modeling?  Was it incorrect input conditions provided to the WSA-Enil model e.g. perhaps a dot product along the earth-directed vector needs to be added to the of calculation of estimated CME speed from coronagraph imagery?  

Bueller?  Bueller?

Edited by Drax Spacex
observed G1

52 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

So what went wrong here?

We don't know what is coming. Multiple satellites orbiting near the Sun would probably be needed to get the needed observations.

Look at an imagery loop of SDOs 211 imagery though, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vOM4hZKkNZlwk4dHyJT8_roY7ODM1ILq/view?usp=sharing.

(Forgot the timestamps) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGKkQdPnXRLXbiBR42tja1uTFKwneXI0/view?usp=sharing

52 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Was the observed G1 a consequence of the CME that was the subject of the G1/G2 storm watch?

Yes.

Edited by Jesterface23

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yes

How can you say so with such certainty? Or that just your personal guess? 
(For the record, I agree, I think the G1/150 hemispheric power storm was from the predicted CME from the long-duration M1, but I can’t prove it is all)

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

How can you say so with such certainty? Or that just your personal guess?

It had a classic impact at DSCOVR at /01 21:36Z and ACE at /01 21:35Z. The IMF Bt component, velocity, density, and temperature all spiked up simultaneously.

The easy way to prove it was the CME that launched late on the 29th and not another is that there were no other anywhere near significant CMEs before or after it launched. To compare data I have though, for a CME with a travel time of 71 hours it had rather high solar wind velocities. Though in the higher range of velocities, it was within the reasonable range for its travel time.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

We don't know what is coming. Multiple satellites orbiting near the Sun would probably be needed to get the needed observations.

Let's go back in time and order $11 billion worth of those Sun satellites instead of the Webb telescope.  What is happening now, near by, is more important than what was happening a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Your movie does show that things were very busy over the last week.  There may have been an intermingling of multiple components - with perhaps a torsional, helical propagation that may have increased its effective pathlength to Earth and slowed it down.  The arrival of the CME was about 24 hours later than predicted, which is a pretty big miss.  This seems to indicate to me that the Earth-bound CME speed was overestimated as input into the models.

7 minutes ago, NightOwl said:

Does SWPC release any sort of official analysis after a geomagnetic storm saying what they think produced that storm?  Also, did anyone on here see the aurora last night? It was completely cloudy near me :(

Sometimes their Forecast Discussion will reflect on recent activity, the most recent citing "CME driver influence."  Because it's rather free-form, the extent of elaboration and detail in the Forecast Discussion depends on the forecaster.

13 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

The arrival of the CME was about 24 hours later than predicted

A lot of the predictions were actually really close for the arrival. With how slow the CME was, in theory the chance of error would be higher.

Edited by Jesterface23

8 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

A lot of the predictions were actually really close for the arrival. With how slow the CME was, in theory the chance of error would be higher.

On review I see that now - there was the initial bump in solar wind data around Feb 2 00:00 UT which was likely the predicted CME arrival.  The second event (or the burgeoning evolution of the initial event into a solar storm) began at about Feb 3 00:00 UT.  It is curious that the plasma density was sustained for several days and didn't drop off after CME arrival.

This is like a Kobayashi Maru test trying to analyze and correlate coronograph, solar wind, and terrestrial observations.  The results, data, and answers are often fuzzy, and a definitive answer, inscrutable.   The one certainty is the appearance of three Klingon battle cruisers at the end of the simulation.

4 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

It already seems to be stopping but the maximum was 108 hemispheric potential and it seems like it's slowly going down, if it increases again, I'll edit this

What caused this 100 hemispheric power storm last night? Surely not another CME?

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

¿Qué causó esta tormenta de poder hemisférico 100 anoche? Seguramente no otro CME ?

I think that maybe this time it could be the coronal hole or just a solar wind impact that appears in the WSA ENLID solar wind prediction, and that the bz to the south increased the hemispheric power, since when it was at 107, it did not a geomagnetic storm was still mounted, only a weak cme, but it seems that the bz is right now almost 10 south, so the geomagnetic storm will continue a bit but in simple words I don't know, but there are some pages that say that the corona hole wind is possibly going to come on the 5th or 6th, so it will probably be that, but I don't know

Edited by Isatsuki San

7 hours ago, Orneno said:

What caused this 100 hemispheric power storm last night? Surely not another CME?

ok, you already said why that happened, it was a secondary effect of the cme impact of February 1, as it was keeping the bz to the south, it caused an open crack and the cracks fed the geomagnetic storm, causing the hesmispheric potential to increase

• Like 1

• Sam Warfel changed the title to (New) CME impact
31 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Is this that CME expected today? It's pretty pathetic if it is

image.thumb.png.acfddcc8580fc43176625512ef61dac8.png

It could be the predicted one, but don't call it weak yet if it is. It has only just arrived and its passage will take a while, meaning that the core of it is still coming.

Edited by LunarLights58

46 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

It could be the predicted one, but don't call it weak yet if it is. It has only just arrived and its passage will take a while, meaning that the core of it is still coming.

Yeah it seems to be the predicted one, but it’s still pretty darn weak. The solar wind speed didn’t even top 450.