(New) CME impact

Sam Warfel

The CME from the long duration M1 has arrived.  Not amazing, but decent. Speed to 500, density to 12, Bt to 15 and Bz to -12 south (but has since gone north).  Possible for G1 in the hours ahead.
Sadly it's cloudy where I am, and I'd need G2 or higher anyway tbh 😭

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 5.43.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 5.43.57 PM.png

Edited by Orneno

10 minutes ago, SpaceWhiskey said:

Do you think conditions will progress even further, or will that be it for now?

For now the IMF has rotated much more northward than southward, so it appears it will not cause significant auroras. 
It could rotate south again, but isn’t looking to at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

What?! It's a whole day early and not even that good?

G2-G1 WATCH_02-03Feb2022.jpg

It’s impossible to predict whether the IMF goes north or south. If it had been this strong but north instead of south, we would have gotten G1 and maybe G2. That’s why they are predicted maximums, not guarantees. 

Wait, when was it supposed to arrive?

9 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It’s impossible to predict whether the IMF goes north or south. If it had been this strong but north instead of south, we would have gotten G1 and maybe G2. That’s why they are predicted maximums, not guarantees. 

What'd you say about it not going south? Because it's going south right now 

Screenshots_2022-02-01-21-12-00.png

Nevermind. It's still north. 

14 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Wait, when was it supposed to arrive?

What'd you say about it not going south? Because it's going south right now 

Screenshots_2022-02-01-21-12-00.png

Nevermind. It's still north. 

Yeah, it’s dipped a bit south a few times, but not very far. You can see just looking at the graphs it’s been almost entirely northward since an initial spike south right after impact. 

1 hour ago, Christopher S. said:

I have seen a few "stealth" geomagnetic disturbances over the last couple of months from ejecta or the IMF, more likely than not. I wonder if this is one such experience, so I wouldn't dash our hopes quite yet for the predicted impact.

This has all the earmarks of the CME, and I didn’t think there were Amy others, but yes, recently (last few months) there’s sometimes been so much activity it’s hard to tell what came from what sometimes. Not a bad problem to have, if one is a northern lights hunter, but vexing if a forecaster. 

11 hours ago, Orneno said:

This has all the earmarks of the CME, and I didn’t think there were Amy others, but yes, recently (last few months) there’s sometimes been so much activity it’s hard to tell what came from what sometimes. Not a bad problem to have, if one is a northern lights hunter, but vexing if a forecaster. 

Truly. I usually remark on things that make forecasting or communication somewhat cumbersome, but this time I'd like to share that my confidence level in the forecast is lower than nominal based on the recent patterns.

2 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

The Bz is now slightly south and the hemispheric power is rising.

It seemed like sparking up for a while, but has rotated solidly north again. Didn't last long enough for much to happen.

47 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

Truly. I usually remark on things that make forecasting or communication somewhat cumbersome, but this time I'd like to share that my confidence level in the forecast is lower than nominal based on the recent patterns.

It is unusual that it's so early, but so weak/slow.  We might get our answers if another CME arrives today, or we may not, and have to look elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

It's all about the Bz in this case and with all CME geomagnetic storm predictions.  Predicted geomagnetic strength can never can be considered "high confidence" because Bz polarity cannot be predicted.  In this case, impressive CME but +Bz=dud, no geomagnetic storm.

What would you say made this an “impressive” CME? As I recall, the solar wind speed, density, and BT were all pretty moderate. Not even 600km/s on the speed maybe? 

The BZ was pretty strong and consistently northward, if it was exactly the same but south it would have been decently significant, but in my opinion that’s the only thing at all remarkable about this CME

The CME looked impressive when it erupted.  Full halo and the difference image animations made it apprear "impressive."

Difference image animations, while they make for impressive YouTube Twitter and facebook posts, they can skew the impression that a CME may be stronger than it really is.  Structure and contrast are enhanced at the expense of original absolute image brightness / intensity information.

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

The CME looked impressive when it erupted.  Full halo and the difference image animations made it apprear "impressive."

Difference image animations, while they make for impressive YouTube Twitter and facebook posts, they can skew the impression that a CME may be stronger than it really is.  Structure and contrast are enhanced at the expense of original absolute image brightness / intensity information.

Ahh, I thought you meant the initial arrival data. 
Yes it was a nice halo, although seemed a bit slow (all the more odd it arrived early, so it seems)

Edit: I think the CME may have just hit, 23:30. 

2F6DA77C-0DB0-417C-80DF-BAC17AC80050.jpeg

213A7E5D-B491-4F43-BC7F-C4EE31700343.jpeg

808BACB0-1F8C-439C-8157-46DD59997972.jpeg

Still not very impressive. 

Edited by Orneno

36 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Oh genial, parece que sucedió una tormenta decente después de todo, mientras dormía, por supuesto 😡

I woke up at the time of bz 18 heading south, and it seems that it's over anyway, calm down it was just a g1 so there was nothing to miss

10 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

This one is more of a match to a weak-ish CH entry. It is better seen in SOHO's solar wind data, http://umtof.umd.edu/pm/ and DSCOVR not including an IMF shock.

Could a “weak CH entry” really have driven the BZ south to -18? It’s quite significant, hemispheric power reached a 150