More coming?

Sam Warfel
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

39 minuten geleden, David Silver zei:

A continuous C flare for about 6 hours, yikes. I have to ask: is the general enthusiasm about larger and larger flares because of increased aurora? Or, why? Excitement / interestingness?

Euh? That is a B8 and not C!
And some flares can be very long duration, 6 hours and more i've seen. But the one you posted wasn't noteworthy 😛 

Meanwhile, behind the limb it's getting excited with another CME launched on the farside. Hopefully the region stays strong enough when it rotates around the limb.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NightOwl said:

Yeah that does look promising! 😀 Is it still flaring two hours later or am I looking at the wrong thing? The solar activity hasn't gone back down and there is still a bright area above the limb.

It was definitely a strong flare, if launched *a second* beautiful CME from this AR. There’s also some small ones coming from the Southern Hemisphere. 

This could get interesting quickly!

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Euh? That is a B8 and not C!
And some flares can be very long duration, 6 hours and more i've seen. But the one you posted wasn't noteworthy 😛 

Meanwhile, behind the limb it's getting excited with another CME launched on the farside. Hopefully the region stays strong enough when it rotates around the limb.

Oooh, it was probably an X-flare? I hope we get more while Earth-facing 😁

4 hours ago, David Silver said:

I have to ask: is the general enthusiasm about larger and larger flares because of increased aurora? Or, why? Excitement / interestingness?

Because I want to see the Aurora from my middle latitude location, so I need strong geomagnetic storms, which basically only come from strong CMEs from strong flares. 

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Did I one time read that you said nothing was interesting on the sun? I think the sun is challenging you 😂

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Did I one time read that you said nothing was interesting on the sun? I think the sun is challenging you 😂

He was only talking about the last two (in)active regions to rotate over, he’s always been supportive of this one (who wouldn’t be, it’s blowing off CMEs and maybe X-classes 

Just now, Orneno said:

He was only talking about the last two (in)active regions to rotate over, he’s always been supportive of this one (who wouldn’t be, it’s blowing off CMEs and maybe X-classes

Ah my bad @Vancanneyt Sander but I think the sun is still challenging him Lol

2 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Ah my bad @Vancanneyt Sander but I think the sun is still challenging him Lol

Not challenging, it’s defining what I meant by showing an example ;):

Bright patches with no activity at the limb: not interesting and not worth posting a topic.

Bright patches with activity just behind the limb: exciting, let’s make a topic about this!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Speaking of which, can we tell how far behind the limb this active region is?

Well, using available information we can make an informed guess. Looking at the Eastern edge of the coronal hole shown on today's synoptic map, and comparing that with the Stereo Ahead EUVI195 image I would suggest it will probably not show up for at least two days - maybe a little bit longer.

20 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Well, using available information we can make an informed guess. Looking at the Eastern edge of the coronal hole shown on today's synoptic map, and comparing that with the Stereo Ahead EUVI195 image I would suggest it will probably not show up for at least two days - maybe a little bit longer.

Good to know, thanks!

8 hours ago, David Silver said:

A continuous C flare for about 6 hours, yikes. I have to ask: is the general enthusiasm about larger and larger flares because of increased aurora? Or, why? Excitement / interestingness?

A couple weeks ago, the background flux was C for 12+ hours. The CME is interesting to me, and the animations posted in this thread are quite cool looking. 

Edited by Archmonoth

5 hours ago, Orneno said:

Speaking of which, can we tell how far behind the limb this active region is?

As 3gMike said an informed guess can be made.

An algorithm which makes use of both STEREO A and LASCO coronograph imagery which are seeing the CME from different viewpoints should allow the generation of a stereoscopic 3D rendering of the CME (much like your two eyes can resolve what are two 2D images individually into a 3D image).  Or just with pencil and paper and a calculator, since we know the position of Stereo A and LASCO relative to the Sun, you could resolve the 2D vectors of the CME from each satellite into a 3D vector which would provide the direction of the CME in 3D space and provide an estimate of where on the Sun the CME originated.  I leave the details of these calculations as an exercise to the reader.

https://ibb.co/C6TS3sN

Edited by Drax Spacex
add image
  • Like 2

The two C-class flares detected today came from the approaching active region just behind the northeast limb. If they are still behind the limb, the actual strength of flare would be higher than what we can see, correct? Perhaps the region, as it rotates onto the Earth-facing disk, will be producing M flares instead.

27 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

The two C-class flares detected today came from the approaching active region just behind the northeast limb. If they are still behind the limb, the actual strength of flare would be higher than what we can see, correct? Perhaps the region, as it rotates onto the Earth-facing disk, will be producing M flares instead.

Yes, the AR is close to the limb so we can see some of the flares but they are “partially eclipsed” (the edge of the sun blocks most of them), their real strength would be much higher. It definitely seems capable of powerful M’s, and maybe X, unless it’s tired itself out of those 

Edited by Orneno

37 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I don’t think they where much stronger as they weren’t topped off enough. So the C-flares of today weren’t much stronger than measured. The loops are already above the limb so during a solar flare we would already see the higher flux. 
8156D514-43ED-4717-923F-9F0A028B7760.jpeg

“Topped off” enough? You mean they weren’t eclipsed very much, so we saw most of them?

7 hours ago, David Silver said:

I saw a faint aurora only once at my mid-latitude Massachusetts location, in October 1989

Nice. I wish I could see the aurora.

7 hours ago, David Silver said:

I didn’t know it was coming. I just happened to be out stargazing somewhere with little light pollution and got a lucky surprise. 

That's pretty lucky! 

1 uur terug, Orneno zei:

“Topped off” enough? You mean they weren’t eclipsed very much, so we saw most of them?

Yes indeed, if it was a larger flare, the C-flux would be more topped off. This was only a short topped off flare. The loops where already above the limb so any flare would already measure higher x-rays and in case of a long duration flare a longer topped off curve. So looking at the curve it was max C4.

CB2F3CFF-7D43-4812-8023-E15D919F52F5.jpeg

• Thanks 1